Dosing for Coffee?

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve noticed since testing more and having the pump that my blood sugars when at work are about 12-14 compared to home 8-10 the only difference is I drink a lot of coffee at work with semi skimmed milk and 1 sweetner at home only
1-2 cups a day, work 4-5 over 8 hrs. Does anyone actually bolus for their coffee if they take it in a similiar way?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might it also be the stress of work and a different routine than when not at work?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve noticed since testing more and having the pump that my blood sugars when at work are about 12-14 compared to home 8-10 the only difference is I drink a lot of coffee at work with semi skimmed milk and 1 sweetner at home only
1-2 cups a day, work 4-5 over 8 hrs. Does anyone actually bolus for their coffee if they take it in a similiar way?
Total coffee addict but limit myself to only 1 coffee with milk or cappuciono without chocolate topping.
Stress and adrenalin caused by caffeine surge could easily jack things up as could sitting more at your desk if that's what you do at work.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Might it also be the stress of work and a different routine than when not at work?

I did wonder about this too I just don’t find the job stressful but it is very sedentary based at a desk mon- fri so maybe a Basal change may be in order, I’ll do a temp Basel change tomorrow at work and see if that does the trick thankyou

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Total coffee addict but limit myself to only 1 coffee with milk or cappuciono without chocolate topping.
Stress and adrenalin caused by caffeine surge could easily jack things up as could sitting more at your desk if that's what you do at work.

Yes it is a very sedentary job but then so would the weekend be if I’m not taking the kids out, the only difference is the coffee so I think I’ll do a temp basal tomorrow and see if makes a difference

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Have you tried a bolus to bring down your work day BG's to a better level, if it was me I would have maybe 2 units to bring me down to 6-8 from 12-14 ?.

Pretty sure coffee has a bit of an impact but its also a hot drink which activates your stomach into working a bit harder so any undigested carbs will be more quickly absorbed. So having a hot drink with your lunch rather than a cold drink will increase your post lunch spike ;-)

Reactions: MicheleJC

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried a bolus to bring down your work day BG's to a better level, if it was me I would have maybe 2 units to bring me down to 6-8 from 12-14 ?.

Pretty sure coffee has a bit of an impact but its also a hot drink which activates your stomach into working a bit harder so any undigested carbs will be more quickly absorbed. So having a hot drink with your lunch rather than a cold drink will increase your post lunch spike ;-)

I usually bolus 8 for s small flat white and 12 for a large cup like Costa.

Helen46

I also count carbs for coffee. Long black (no sugar/sweetner) = 0 carbs, flat white (no sugar/sweetner) = 5-7 depending on cup size and 12-15 carbs for a cappuccino (with a light sprinkle of chocolate) depending on cup size. However I would probably go the temp basal route as the activity level is relatively different from you weekend. I also find the cappuccino gets into your system very fast.