1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dosing for Coffee?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Nometype1andproud, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed since testing more and having the pump that my blood sugars when at work are about 12-14 compared to home 8-10 the only difference is I drink a lot of coffee at work with semi skimmed milk and 1 sweetner at home only
    1-2 cups a day, work 4-5 over 8 hrs. Does anyone actually bolus for their coffee if they take it in a similiar way?

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Might it also be the stress of work and a different routine than when not at work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Total coffee addict but limit myself to only 1 coffee with milk or cappuciono without chocolate topping.
    Stress and adrenalin caused by caffeine surge could easily jack things up as could sitting more at your desk if that's what you do at work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nometype1andproud

I did wonder about this too I just don’t find the job stressful but it is very sedentary based at a desk mon- fri so maybe a Basal change may be in order, I’ll do a temp Basel change tomorrow at work and see if that does the trick thankyou

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nometype1andproud

Yes it is a very sedentary job but then so would the weekend be if I’m not taking the kids out, the only difference is the coffee so I think I’ll do a temp basal tomorrow and see if makes a difference

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried a bolus to bring down your work day BG's to a better level, if it was me I would have maybe 2 units to bring me down to 6-8 from 12-14 ?.

Pretty sure coffee has a bit of an impact but its also a hot drink which activates your stomach into working a bit harder so any undigested carbs will be more quickly absorbed. So having a hot drink with your lunch rather than a cold drink will increase your post lunch spike ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. MicheleJC

MicheleJC Type 1 · Member

I usually bolus 8 for s small flat white and 12 for a large cup like Costa.

8. Helen46

Helen46 · Active Member

I also count carbs for coffee. Long black (no sugar/sweetner) = 0 carbs, flat white (no sugar/sweetner) = 5-7 depending on cup size and 12-15 carbs for a cappuccino (with a light sprinkle of chocolate) depending on cup size. However I would probably go the temp basal route as the activity level is relatively different from you weekend. I also find the cappuccino gets into your system very fast.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook