Type 1 Doubt about treat Dawn phenomenon or Somogyi effect

vituaugusto94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, 3 nights ago until now I'm living the same scenario: I wake up during the night(2:00am - 4:00am) with hypoglycemia(30-40mg/dl), I drink water with sugar usually when I have hypo, I always did this way and woke up with normal glucose, but after these 3 nights, in the morning I'm waking up with 250+mg/dl. I searched about on the internet and found articles about Dawn phenomenon and Somogyi effect. Right, but I'll see my doctor only in October, and I have to solve that before. I'm trying to decrease the NPH insulin that I take before sleep to solve that, but if won't work. Should I take insulin at 3:00am? Does someone know how much insuline I could take?(I take 15 UI before sleep). If I shouldn't, does someone know what should I do?

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on Humalin I which I take at bedtime and typically it does have a peak action at around 2-4am and I have spent years getting over night crashes and then the highs in the morning! I have conquered it now as I split my long acting but it has taken a long time of trial and error! I am not sure how your insulin compares to Humalin I,probably vary similar. What are your bedtime bgs? You may need a small snack to see you through the night, I mean small though, 10g carbs probably. I don't think you need to 'solve' this problem before you see your consultant, they should be helping you get over the hurdles! And I also don't think it necessary to take insulin at 3am!!! You need to make it work for you!! There are so many factors to consider in adjusting insulin doses, have you been diabetic long?
I too researched Dawn phenomenon and the Somogyl effect in desperation as my sleep ( or lack of ) was effecting my life)
Have you tried Lantus or Levemir? May have a more steady action for you.
I do feel for you as it makes you feel pretty crabby when you are up EVERY night!! Keep in touch x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are your levels raised as soon s you wake up (ie still in bed) or after you have dressed? Do they continue to rise after getting up?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Are you on a basal insulin such as lantus or just rapid like humalog?
I'd call my Endo to get a indea of what to do if you've not been told already.

For myself i take lantus going to bed as my basal insulin n if I'm higher than 7 (125) i take a unit of insulin per number I'm over n wake up with 4 to 5 (72 to 90) most mornings as a result, but this is years of trial n error to learn the best solution for myself n under my endocrinologists direction

Peter_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I joined this one as I'm having a major change, and cannot get a doctor's appointment for two weeks. My problem has gone from low or normal morning to high (200+/11) sugar, which then drops during the morning (before it would rise in the morning), so I get many hypos, and my employer is getting very upset! Does anyone know WHY such a change could occur? No insulin change, but moved to another country.