1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Doubts about newly started LCHF diet

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by svgittins, Nov 3, 2019.

1. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

As others stated, your heart'll probably thank you for low carbing. I know two people whose heart quit because of their high carb intake combined with T2. One was a direct complication of the other. So that's hopefully one worry less. And eating more fats and less carbs normalised my cholesterol, if that's what you're worried about... No more statins for me, and it's true for quite a few others here too! :)

Everyone's giving great advice on the constipation thing... Now, I don't know if you're constipated or just going less, as there's less waste on a low carb diet... I'm down to once or twice a week, without cramps, IBS or other issues. But, well over a year ago I was in agony. My gut was full of bricks, I was bleeding all day, had more pain than I care to remember, and I'm still healing. That was due to the artificial sweeteners I'd started using in my coffee, tea, and the diet cokes I was guzzling. Artificial sweeteners kill gut bacteria, and without those you either get the runs or, well, the bricks I mentioned. If you are using sweeteners, and are in pain, stay away from them for a few days, take probiotics and maybe some sauerkraut. That'll sort you out if that is the problem, and it'll give you answers pretty quick. Otherwise, the psyllium, magnesium, potassium, olive oil, increased water etc will help with the bowel movements. Don't give up just yet! And good luck!
    Jo

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Hi @svgittins I’ll add my experience too. I can y detest and your concern- I was also worried about constipation and the heart disease/ cholesterol thing when I first started LCHF. I used to take a spoonful of psyllium husk in water every day and have quite a lot of leafy greens. It did settle though and I’m now a regular once a day in the morning kinda gal. I don’t take the psyllium any more ( but still use it now and again for lc baking) and don’t bulk up on veg. I just seem to have adapted to this woe, the IBS symptoms I experienced when eating a lot of carbs have disappeared too.
    Re the other health aspects - give it time and see what your next lipid panel looks like. I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I’m off statins now, cholesterol and BP normal.
    Good luck with it. You’ve done terrifically well so far in bringing your bg under control

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like you feel very fortunate... far more fortunate than smug! ;)
    I wish I has found this site in 2007 when I was first diagnosed.
    12 yrs of being on Metformin, and getting nowhere.
    A virus at the start of this year put me at deaths door and on insulin! ... and this site and LCHF!

The rest is history in the making Ian.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Po

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook