Downsides of the dieting

Chris Ewan

When I had a Type 2 diagnosis back in December, I can't say I was particularly shocked as I had an awful diet and was very overweight. It did give me a good, solid boot up the backside though and I decided to turn things around and completely change my diet. I ditched all the takeaways, refined carbs, processed food etc and switched to a low carb diet similar to the keto diet though not as severe. I eventually settled on about 1500 calories a day with a a limit of carbs to 60g a day which is spread throughout the day though the shredded wheat and fruit for breakfast was the biggest hit. I also exercise for an hour a day (had to work up to that, my back wasn't fond of me starting walking again:).

It did seem to be working . My initial diabetic symptoms of frequent urination and thirst disappeared and I was losing weight at around 1kg a week (sometimes a little less). I had my first three monthly check up a couple of weeks ago and my weight had dropped 12kg and my blood sugar had dropped from 88 to 45. So from that point of view, things were moving in the right direction.

It's not without it's obstacles though. Initially, as I was no longer thirsty, my water intake went down to less than a litre a day and without the carbs/completely new diet, constipation was a real pain in the a**e (pun intended).

Logically, I looked at this as a question of balance. Water intake was easy, but fibre was less so. However, after reading the advice on here, I'm finally back to mostly once a day.

The biggest issue I have is stress which I know is not good for blood sugar. The whole diabetic scenario was bad enough but I don't think it's the trigger for my anxiety attacks as I seem to be making progress. What really triggers it is the abdominal discomfort. I really have no idea why it triggers an attack. It's not painful or debilitating, it's just a slight discomfort. I originally thought it was the constipation as I was straining far too hard but I stopped doing that a few days ago. My friend is also type 2 and she advised me to get the GP to check it out. I did have a UTI but it's day 4 of the antibiotics and the infection should have gone by now. The doc did a number of blood /urine tests and apart from a slightly elevated PSA (I am 61) everything seems ok (Prostrate exam booked).

I apologise for the wall of text but I wanted to include as much background detail that could be relevant.

For those who have switched to a new lifestyle diet, have you experienced any abdominal discomfort? I would have thought that after three months, my body would have adjusted to a completely diet or am I wrong, can it take longer?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on metformin or one of its generic brands?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered that there might simply be less to be got rid of if your diet is nutritious rather than bulked out with carbs?
Particularly in the summer I am careful to drink regularly, but with my two admittedly small meals a day there is very little residue.

Chris Ewan

Resurgam,

Yes, I did consider that. I mean, it makes sense (less in, less out etc). However, I was going for about 4-5 days without getting rid of anything and that was very uncomfortable. Now that I have discovered a palatable way of using avocados, it's about 1-2 days. I still get pulses of that blocked up feeling but I only started on them last Friday and perhaps it will take a while to settle down.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chris,

First of all congratulations on getting your BG in control with just diet. Now am no expert but have had a similar experience in past and it boiled down to eating a diet high in protein but less in fibre.

Lately with the alternate day fasting routine that I am following I was fearful I will hit a similar issue but thankfully it did not happen and it could be that I am just plain lucky but I like to think its because I am breaking my fasts with 40gms of Extra mature cheddar cheese followed by a bowl of flaxseed Porridge which provides fibre and general good health to the gut fauna. Then during the day I also eat one green vegetable and a bowl of green chilli avacado to balance the fibres. In addition I aim to drink 4.5 litres of water everyday and am happy to report on most days I achieve and at times even manage to over-achieve that target.

Again, like I said am no expert but just sharing what seems to have worked for me given I have faced a similar issue as yours, in not so distant past.

Chris Ewan

Thank you for the replies. I am probably overthinking and letting my anxiety attacks do the reasoning (not a good plan). I'll see how it goes and see if I can get to speak with my DN. Wow, Nutribolt.... 4.5 litres?? I'm lucky if I manage 2:)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that making sure I have sufficient fat helps me. I have very few vegetables now- some days none but between some fat and at least 2 litres of water I have no issues. Take one of those away and I have some issues.