Dr Bernstein diet?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 who is struggling to get HB1AC down to acceptable levels. Since wearing the Libre I am amazed at the different patterns my bloods are during the night - sometimes i have been sleeping through lows and another night blood sugas go sky high. I am on Tresiba and Novorapid but I do notice that the Novorapid does not seem to have any effect for at least 40 minutes so have to inject at least 20 to 30 minutes pror to eating to avoid high sugars for at least 4 hours after eating then crashing before the next meal! I inject 4 times a day minimum and have been thinking seriouly about Low carbing even though at the moment I'm under 100 carbs daily blood sugars still not stable. Also thinking should I also completely cut out alcohol! Any Dr Bernstein followers?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a type 1 who is struggling to get HB1AC down to acceptable levels. Since wearing the Libre I am amazed at the different patterns my bloods are during the night - sometimes i have been sleeping through lows and another night blood sugas go sky high. I am on Tresiba and Novorapid but I do notice that the Novorapid does not seem to have any effect for at least 40 minutes so have to inject at least 20 to 30 minutes pror to eating to avoid high sugars for at least 4 hours after eating then crashing before the next meal! I inject 4 times a day minimum and have been thinking seriouly about Low carbing even though at the moment I'm under 100 carbs daily blood sugars still not stable. Also thinking should I also completely cut out alcohol! Any Dr Bernstein followers?
I have not been diagnosed as T1 (I think I may be pre-LADA) and am not on any meds, so the help I can offer is limited, but I AM a Dr B enthusiast. Have you read his book and / or visited his site? Here is an extract from his book where he talks abut alcohol for T1s http://www.diabetes-book.com/alcohol/
and here he writes about his Laws of Small Numbers http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/
I have also found a lot of his short free videos interesting and quite entertaining.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have his book but a few follow his website and monthly open question time.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also learnt the importance of pre-bolusing when I got the Libre! I went low carb, although not very low carb and significantly reduced my HbA1c using the insight from the Libre. It worked for me complimented by exercise but everyone is different.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 same as you, novorapid and tresiba. I love low carb and follow Dr b. Laws of small numbers. Takes a while to get used to it but best thing ever. Hba1c now 35. A year and a half after starting year of hba1c 35-38. Loads of testing , trial and error but worth it

Reactions: mytype1.life

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@type 1 countrygirl . If you're crashing before meals have you considered your basal dose?
I find that if my levels drop 5 hrs after injecting novorapid then it's my basal ( lantus ) that needs adjusting.
Whenever levels are unpredictable it's best to start with getting basal insulin right. Get your basal right and novorapid is far easier to get right.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I as well follow his laws of small numbers. It took a few hypos to figure out my boluses but I don’t fear serious hypos anymore. Small meals, small doses, small errors.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently read Bernstein's book, and others, and I'm now keto, with much better control as a result. However, the Bernstein/LCHF/keto approaches are not necessary or suitable for everyone, and you may find you don't need to go that far. You can go a long way with Gary Scheiner's advice. His book, 'Think Like a Pancreas' is excellent, and gives advice on adjusting basal and bolus doses and timing.

Reactions: Diakat