Dr Bernstein Talking About Why Doctors Tell People With Type1 To Run High

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you seem quite happy to apparently misreport what he said.. interesting.

Misreport or quoted someone else's post?

I find it worrying the amount of lchf nonsense spouted on this site, it may be a help to the overweight but it isn't a diet that would benefit a person in the long term, be they a T1d or not, and although my original post was about the good docs opinion (or alleged opinion) that Lantus (a med I've used for 20+ years) is a cause of cancer I've got zero intention of reading his marketing materials.

Have a nice day y'all....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I find it worrying the amount of lchf nonsense spouted on this site, it may be a help to the overweight but it isn't a diet that would benefit a person in the long term, be they a T1d or not, and although my original post was about the good docs opinion (or alleged opinion) that Lantus (a med I've used for 20+ years) is a cause of cancer I've got zero intention of reading his marketing materials.

What all the low carb guff that is saving peoples' eye, toes and health you mean?
I don't consider that to be nonsense at all.

Reactions: smc4761 and dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I has helped me for over 6 years. Both with my blood glucose levels, and my ME/CFS. Mind you, if you wont read the evidence, or believe the true experiences of many on here, you are not going to learn, are you.

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What marketing materials?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What all the low carb guff that is saving peoples' eye, toes and health you mean?
I don't consider that to be nonsense at all.

Ah, so my background retinopathy @ 34 years T1 is because I've not familiarised myself with said materials? Probably why my foot pulses strength surprises the nurses too.

I has helped me for over 6 years. Both with my blood glucose levels, and my ME/CFS. Mind you, if you wont read the evidence, or believe the true experiences of many on here, you are not going to learn, are you.

But you're T2, that's different to T1, my bmi is 25, I don't need to lose weight or starve my body of beneficial nutrients or cause my cholesterol to raise from a low carb diet.

So no, I don't see anything to 'learn' from these quack type people at all.

What marketing materials?

These sages don't write books no?

I write as a T1d in his 35th year with no (as yet) complications, injecting on average 5x daily, eating complex carbs, proteins and a low fat diet with plenty of veg, training 4x a week and swimming 3 x usually, I'm more than happy with my methodology and take a contrary view to these people.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But it's the pearls of wisdom quoted in these books that has me howling

I'll stick to the Beano....
You do make me wonder how he's survived being a type 1 diabetic for 71 years when his contemporaries are dead. Maybe it's just something in the water.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Available on Amazon and other retailers. HTH.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do make me wonder how he's survived being a type 1 diabetic for 71 years when his contemporaries are dead. Maybe it's just something in the water.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Available on Amazon and other retailers. HTH.

Would it make good toilet tissue?

duck-6.jpg

Reactions: Alexandra100

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I havn't starved myself of beneficial nutrients. Basically, I have switched from one type of fuel to another, I'm still dual fuel though the emphasis is on the fuel that my T2 body seems to prefer in order to run well.
As for lower carb diet being nonsense the NHS is getting on board with it, recently giving it QISMET certification.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
blind-leading-the-blind.jpg

Again, I'm commenting as a T1d, not as a T2d, I won't see the condition beaten into remission by starving myself, so exist on a fairly healthy moderate complex carb diet, white meats and low fat, as I've done for what seems a lifetime, my hba1c score is good and more importantly my consultant wouldn't advise me (as a T1) to follow a low carb diet.

What I find interesting is that I'm having to defend my point to T2 diabetics posting on the T1 section when the two types present different obstacles and require different treatments.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@kev-w you have been lucky with a manageable form of diabetes. Of course you must have put alot of hard work into it everyday. With hormone influences, illness and stresses. Like us all.

I'm finding some are lucky than others. If you had been a brittle type1 and not even your endo being able to advise on a more stable routine and god forbid weight gaining daily overdosed glucose not being cleared from your system effectively, then you would be desperate of a solution.
I think that's where Dr Bernstein is aiming his advice. Not easily managed diabetes with a regimented insulin treatment or just metformin or diet.
I'm pleased your management is spot on. :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w you have been lucky with a manageable form of diabetes. Of course you must have put alot of hard work into it everyday. With hormone influences, illness and stresses. Like us all.

There's your first misunderstanding, a manageable form of diabetes? What is this? I make zero insulin same as every other long term T1 which requires the same management as any other T1 24 hours a day for life, any mismanagement causes issues either immediately or shortly after.

I'm finding some are lucky than others. If you had been a brittle type1 and not even your endo being able to advise on a more stable routine and god forbid weight gaining daily overdosed glucose not being cleared from your system effectively, then you would be desperate of a solution.

My notes say I'm a brittle diabetic.

I think that's where Dr Bernstein is aiming his advice. Not easily managed diabetes with a regimented insulin treatment or just metformin or diet.

I still think his sort are aiming for the gullible, as good management is in the individual's hand, providing they test frequently and correct to suit, avoid simple carbs and processed food, exercise regularly and stay positive.

But then I'm a T1 and am speaking as one.

Last edited:

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA

You know i think big kev might be afraid to try this... and compared to me via bmi kev you have a couple pounds on me.

I was actually afraid to try a ketonic diet like kev was DKA on diagnosis. Except i was diagnosed at 46 not a child....

ATM trial is the word.

So far its been just over a week havnt gone DKA yet and the only test for keytones 3 days into it was 0.6. If a lack of carbs is bad then i should be bed ridden... havnt had to stop work yet so maybe not an issue.

Today I actually completed a 24hr basle check never done it that long before always had to eat by the 12th hour.

For anyone else i found a pic of how glimp saw the first 24hrs it did take me by surprise...

Its more even now this pic is last week...

And im not blowing anyone's horn whether to low carb or not in the end its how i deal with my diabetes.

Public forums are places that ideas can be swapped for the better.
Screenshot_20180616-120520.jpeg

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food for thought from my perspective.

Issnt the aim of this forum to run diabetes management more even (less hypoes less hypers) safely?

2/ One thing with Dr Bernstein is he actually lives with T1 same as all of us.
All the diabetes experts i see are not.

He has managed to achieve normal, non-diabetic HbA1c results for 40 years. I believe it is usually around 4.7.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know i think big kev might be afraid to try this... and compared to me via bmi kev you have a couple pounds on me.

I was actually afraid to try a ketonic diet like kev was DKA on diagnosis. Except i was diagnosed at 46 not a child....

You misunderstand, it's not that I'm afraid of that kind of diet, it's that I find it both pointless and unappealing in my case ,I'm more than happy with my bmi and work hard to maintain my weight eating a healthy varied diet keeping in mind the move more eat less ethos...,

I wasn't told if I was DKA on diagnosis with a bs of 33, they gave me syringes, vials of insulin and a nice book with pictures of potatoes and the like :) and an appointment in 6 months but I'll have got 35 years in come October

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I just wish you don't call lchf a nonsense or quack. It might be to you but there are some type 1s who follow it and finding it beneficial. Lchf diet makes sense to me and it's not a nonsense.