Dr Unwin's research featured in New Scientist Mag

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really a discussion but just wanted to say how thrilled I was to see Dr Unwin's research featured in 'New Scientist' this month. Although the usual suspects were trolled out to dismiss it - I'm looking at you Alison Tedstone, Susan Jebb et al!
I did actually plough through all the reports and studies and papers on which PHE based it's increased carb levels and there is not a single study which properly compares a low carb/ high good fats diet with a high carb/ low fat diet. All the studies are looking at levels of carbs only - and yet they are saying they are right. In fact they've simply ignored the alternative.
There is hope though - I recently spoke to an NHS nurse who was busy drinking bulletproof coffee and agreed the NHS guidelines are wrong.
How can we help to get the message across?

Reactions: 9 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We can see ourselves as ambassadors for that Way of Eating? Get the message out there, globally, as we are. In time, the need for LCHFing diabetics will be even higher, so our message will become louder? I hope so.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Not really a discussion but just wanted to say how thrilled I was to see Dr Unwin's research featured in 'New Scientist' this month. Although the usual suspects were trolled out to dismiss it - I'm looking at you Alison Tedstone, Susan Jebb et al!
I did actually plough through all the reports and studies and papers on which PHE based it's increased carb levels and there is not a single study which properly compares a low carb/ high good fats diet with a high carb/ low fat diet. All the studies are looking at levels of carbs only - and yet they are saying they are right. In fact they've simply ignored the alternative.
There is hope though - I recently spoke to an NHS nurse who was busy drinking bulletproof coffee and agreed the NHS guidelines are wrong.

Could you provide links please:) thanks:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

And the medication reduction stats from the LCP were included in the final paragraph! :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could you give us your fond recollections of the same, just from memory, say, for the sake of discussion, say>

We're going to have videos of the talk, we can post that once it's live? :)

We're also working on the data to present to the community (on the forum) as soon as we've had it verified! :) EXCITING TIMES!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stumbled on this edition of NS at a service station this morning and bought it immediately! An excellent piece and worth the cover price for that article alone!
:)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Stumbled on this edition of NS at a service station this morning and bought it immediately! An excellent piece and worth the cover price for that article alone!
:)

We were grinning from ear to ear all day... and ever since! :)