1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Drinking Once In A While...

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ds2006, Jan 5, 2020.

1. ds2006

ds2006 · Newbie

So I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes approx 2 months ago. Apparently according to the symptoms it seems that I have had diabetes for about a year or two. The constant thirst and constant bathroom visits apparently is a big sign of it. During those years I had been drinking a lot so to speak. I'd drink around 1-4 bottles of a 35% tequila a week. I'd do that for about a month then i'd back down to about a bottle a week with some breaks from drinking lasting about 2-3 weeks. In a night I'd drink about 50-85% of the bottle while I eat something and drink a 2 liter of diet soda or orange juice. Anyways I haven't had a drink since I was diagnosed so I have gone 2 months without a drink. However last night I had a really bad day and I relapsed. Had about 10-15 shots of tequila. I am taking metformin 1000mg twice a day. I have been taking it for about a month and a half. I still want to stop drinking but I was just wondering if it is ok to binge drink once in a while. I won't be drinking often but I was wondering if I would be ok to like have a bottle ever month or two months. I know they say its ok to have like one or two drinks a day while on metformin, but I was just wondering about one binge night every month or so until I can manage to full let go of the bottle. Any opinions?

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @ds2006 and welcome to the forum

Firstly a link to some useful information for those newly diagnosed. Have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Regarding your question about drinking, it sounds very much like an addiction and dealing with an addiction of any kind is very difficult. Personally speaking I find it much easier to have none of something I’m trying to ditch than to try and consume it in moderation - that just doesn’t seem to work for me.

Binging on anything you’re trying to give up will likely make it harder to give up as it’ll trigger cravings and no doubt some unwanted emotions too. It can be difficult to mentally make the leap to saying ‘I’m never going to have x again’, so why not take it in stages - starting with days, then weeks and so on. I really don’t think it will help with either your diabetes or your attempts to ditch the tequila if you plan to over consume it from time to time.

It sounds like you’ve been doing great and now had a lapse - that happens to everyone, but in reaching out here you’ve taken the first step to getting back on track. Do you have a local support group, or a friend that could help you to develop strategies and support you along the way?

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ds2006

ds2006 · Newbie

Hey there Goonergal. i know it may sound like its an addiction but trust me its not. Then again, I guess that is something somebody with and addiction would say. I was able to stay off alcohol for two months with no problem. Sorta. I didn't have any cravings nor any withdrawals. When ever I would drink, the next day I would be able to take on my priorities without issue. (going to work/school etc) I only said if it would be ok to binge now and then because with my personal beliefs, I know I will end up having a failure again. It doesn't matter how hard I try or how great I am doing, I am bound to mess up and drink again. That is why I ask if it is ok or reasonable to binge drink at least once a month or two. Knowing me and myself, there is bound to be a **** up at least once a month or two that will hit me so hard I relapse and end up drinking again. I have tried different things when it comes to dealing with hard bad times and nothing has helped me like alcohol. Sadly alcohol has also ****** me up with diabetes. That which cures me is also killing me. I also ask because like most things in life, as a human i am bound to fail here and there. So I just wanted to have a potential guess for when I come across my failures in the future. I'm not saying I'm going to binge drink every month or two, I'm just saying in case something bad happens that leaves me so depressed that I end up relapsing, I just wanted to know if I would be ok to binge on that frequency. If that would lead to my death then I would want to warn those I love and try to set up the rest of my life before I die.

Edited by moderator to remove an expletive

#3 ds2006, Jan 5, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2020
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

When I saw the thread title I thought you wre asking if a glass of wine occasionally was OK. Binge drinking is never OK. You may 'get away with it' but it's not OK whether you are diabetic or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is some info on Metformin and alcohol:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol
    Binge drinking is a particular risk with Metformin, it can put you at higher risk of lactic acidosis which is a serious condition.
    I think maybe an appt with your GP is in order to talk about your relationship with alcohol.

6. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When your blood tests for blood glucose levels were done were you also given tests for liver and renal function? These would show to what extent, if any, your binge drinking is affecting these organ systems. Putting your concerns about your reliance on alcohol when times are tough onto this forum is a step forward. However, seeking profession advice and alternatives e.g. CBT programmes, for dealing with problems is essential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As one who developed a similar relationship with a bottle of malt whisky or three I empathise. but yes, alcohol binges are not advised. There is an increased risk of acidosis in the blood (not just the tummy) that can be dangerous.

Diabetes does over exercise the kidneys, so adding to their burden is not helpful.

Finally, a pure spirit, as opposed to a beer or undistilled beverage will have the effect of lowering the bgl levels. This is NOT a cure for high sugars, merely a postponement as alcohol over time will cause fatty liver (cirrhosis) which can exacerbate insulin resistance so that in the long term you may be hastening your condition.

My bottle of whisky I was given 13 months ago lasted at least 10 months, so I no longer binge. It makes my bank balance a llittle bit happier too.

• Like Like x 2
    #7 Oldvatr, Jan 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook