Driving Licence + Insulin

kellibabi

Hello all,

I've just been moved onto Insulin (Humalog 25mix).
I have just filled in & sent the DVLA form to advise them I am now treated with Insulin. I AM hypo aware (although I've never had one, I have helped a family member treat theirs).

My question is - has anyone had problems with DVLA after advising them they are on Insulin?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There are many who have had problems but a lot turn out to be paperwork filled out wrong or similar. As long as you remain hypo aware and have decent control over your diabetes things are usually OK. License will be restricted to 3 years though. I'm sure you'll get some replies telling you the DVLA are awful etc but on the whole, this is quite rare.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I had no problems. I sent the form off to the DVLA and I believe they did the usual check with the surgery. My 3 year licence arrived very quickly.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just renewed my licence a few months back and did have to wait a little while whilst they carried out some checks, but overall I've not had any problems with the DVLA. Provided you keep your hypo awareness symptoms and don't hypo (where you need a third-party assistance) you should be fine.

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had to fill the forms in once so far and all went problem free. It looks as though this is something that we will have to worry about less often in future, new changes that are being introduced could see the existing 3 year period extended to 10 years

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had to fill the forms in once so far and all went problem free. It looks as though this is something that we will have to worry about less often in future, new changes that are being introduced could see the existing 3 year period extended to 10 years
The 10 year period only happens if you are using a cgm

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin