driving with type 1

hope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been on insulin 7 months now and have been advised to inform dvla and car insurance company. I have been told that insurance costs will triple and driving license will be taken off me if I have had a hypo in the last year. I did have hypos when I started on insulin until I got used to my doses but my sugars are more on the high side than the low side. Has any one experience with insurance companies and dvla and advise me what happens?
Thanks

castaway

Hi, I've been type 1 for 5 months and when I was first diagnosed my diabetic nurse informed me that I had to tell the DVLA and also my Insurance company that I was now a diabetic.

I sent the forms off to DVLA and now have a 3 year driving licence. I went to see the Insurance company to let them know and all they did was change my details on the computer...and that was it. It hasn't affected anything....don't panic :D

hope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Great. Many thanks. Got on to dvla and sending me out forms to fill in. Insurance co. added info onto policy and are sending me out a review of cost, it may go up, he wasn't sure. Appreciate your advice. Thanks again.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husband has ben a T1 on insulin for about 35 years. His driving license is restricted to 3 years at a time and our GP has to certify him fi to drive each time. Plus now a sight test. The insurance isn't loaded though
Hana

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hope
My insurers told me they couldn't say if the ppremium would go up at first, then when the DVLA cleared the licence (which they generally will, unless you have had frequent severe hypos which you don't get signs of beforehand - 'hypo unaware') they were fine with this and it didn't cost any extra. I just thought I would lose my licence as soon as I was diagnosed, and was so relieved to find it just meant I had to renew my licence every 3 years instead of it lasting until I'm 75, which is probably not a bad thing...!
Jen

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
My nurse was telling me as im 18 now and wanting to drive the insure company may put my quote up but diabtiesUK do an insurance and they will not put it up as much as other companies. She also told me every few years I will need to sit a small test to make sure im ok to drive but it wont be a full drivign test again will it?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Beav said:
My nurse was telling me as im 18 now and wanting to drive the insure company may put my quote up but diabtiesUK do an insurance and they will not put it up as much as other companies. She also told me every few years I will need to sit a small test to make sure im ok to drive but it wont be a full drivign test again will it?

I notice that in one of your other posts you mention low blood sugar levels ( 1.7 mmol/l) and what seemingly is your lack of hypo awareness......?? You do realise that this could lead to you losing your licence totally if your Bg levels are not well controlled as a Type 1. You need to make sure you do something about that Beav. Not good !

Ken