Driving

steve_2015

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes controlled by diet and tablet medication, I was told back in 2005 by my doctor.

I have informed DVLC and they were only concerned I was taking insulin for it which I am not.

However my question is if do I need to inform my motor insurance company. I am getting the maximum no claims discount and pay a lower premium but if I am to inform them, then that will increase my premium quite considerably.

I have been driving since 1980.

I am reading articles which are saying that diabetics need to let their insurance company know without them needing to ask - is this the case.

Thanks

Steve

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Steve, yes you need to tell them. It then does not give them any excuse not to pay up for an accident, by claiming you have an undeclared condition.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As CarbsRok says you do need to tell them. However there should be no increase in your premium as they cannot discriminate.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I contacted my Ins Co as I'm a T1 on insulin and their reply was, "We don't need to know unless the DVLA has put restrictions in place" or words to that effect. I got the impression that if the DVLA were happy for me to drive, then they were satisfied.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
As CarbsRok says you do need to tell them. However there should be no increase in your premium as they cannot discriminate.
However much I agree with your comment, I wouldn't like to try and fight a large Ins Co if they wanted to increase my premium because of my diabetes. They would quite rightly state that I'm at a higher risk of a hypo than a non diabetic. I don't think I would have a leg to stand on. It's not discrimination to load new young drivers with exorbitant premiums as they are known to have more accidents and are classified as 'high risk'. Therefore they could state that we as diabetics on insulin have gone up a notch on the 'risk table', not through careless driving, but just because, through no fault of our own, we're stuck with a disease that could affect our driving ability. My Ins premium comes up for renewal in August and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't go into orbit. If it does increase, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do about it.:(. I won't view it as discrimination, just a fact of life that I'm no longer such a safe driver in their eyes. If anyone can blow my views out of the water, I'd love to hear from you.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
However much I agree with your comment, I wouldn't like to try and fight a large Ins Co if they wanted to increase my premium because of my diabetes. They would quite rightly state that I'm at a higher risk of a hypo than a non diabetic. I don't think I would have a leg to stand on. It's not discrimination to load new young drivers with exorbitant premiums as they are known to have more accidents and are classified as 'high risk'. Therefore they could state that we as diabetics on insulin have gone up a notch on the 'risk table', not through careless driving, but just because, through no fault of our own, we're stuck with a disease that could affect our driving ability. My Ins premium comes up for renewal in August and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't go into orbit. If it does increase, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do about it.:(. I won't view it as discrimination, just a fact of life that I'm no longer such a safe driver in their eyes. If anyone can blow my views out of the water, I'd love to hear from you.

Take your point which is common sense, but the fact remains that being 'young' is not a medical diasability.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Take your point which is common sense, but the fact remains that being 'young' is not a medical diasability.
Ok, I hadn't really looked at it as a disability that cannot be discriminated against, more the fact that I'm now a 'higher risk'. If my premium goes up out of all proportion, then perhaps I do have a valid reason to argue with them. We shall see.........................

awaysworkin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to inform as I am LADA and on multiple daily insulin injections. However, I can say both DVLA and insurance company have been supportive and there has been absolutely no hike at renewal this year. DVLA did reduce my license to a 3-year renewable one, and removed my entitlement to buses and coaches (but then I never drove them anyway). I see the driving licence as a privilege not a right, so am happy to work with this restriction; and yes, I do need to drive for my job. The insurance company simply added the note to my file, and openly stated there would be no increase.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I had to inform as I am LADA and on multiple daily insulin injections. However, I can say both DVLA and insurance company have been supportive and there has been absolutely no hike at renewal this year. DVLA did reduce my license to a 3-year renewable one, and removed my entitlement to buses and coaches (but then I never drove them anyway). I see the driving licence as a privilege not a right, so am happy to work with this restriction; and yes, I do need to drive for my job. The insurance company simply added the note to my file, and openly stated there would be no increase.
Thank you, that's encouraging.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted my Ins Co as I'm a T1 on insulin and their reply was, "We don't need to know unless the DVLA has put restrictions in place" or words to that effect. I got the impression that if the DVLA were happy for me to drive, then they were satisfied.

As you take insulin you will be on a 1 to 3 year licence and will have had the up to 7.5 ton category removed so yes, you have DVLA restrictions in place and insurers need to know.

Ali

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
As you take insulin you will be on a 1 to 3 year licence and will have had the up to 7.5 ton category removed so yes, you have DVLA restrictions in place and insurers need to know.

Ali
I've only just sent off the DVLA form (been dithering for 7 months, as I was terrified I'd have my licence revoked) and if I'm restricted to just a car, mine weighs just under a ton, then I'll be quite happy. As soon as I know the outcome, then I'll let my Insurer know.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only just sent off the DVLA form (been dithering for 7 months, as I was terrified I'd have my licence revoked) and if I'm restricted to just a car, mine weighs just under a ton, then I'll be quite happy. As soon as I know the outcome, then I'll let my Insurer know.

Blimey, I took the form on holiday with me and sent it off the day I started using the insulin and also rang my broker. Don't fancy having my licence removed for non reporting.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm going to plead ignorance if I'm ticked off. I didn't actually see a Consultant until the end of March, so until then I couldn't answer the question "Date last seen by Consultant". That's my excuse anyway, at least I've finally done it, so I'm now no longer breaking any rules.

steve_2015

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This site is awesome and I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my message. Yesterday after reading the replies, I decided to contact my car insurance company to explain that I have type 2. I had few years back informed DVLC who were ok about it and said it wouldn't affect my driver's licence. So the Insurance company asked if I had contacted DVLC, the Insurance company said they would make a note that I am diabetic. Asked oif it would affect my premium , they said no but .. I will wait and see in August whether the renewal is increased.

Life assurance companies, the common ones lke Aviva and Legal & General appeared to be reluctant about taking someone on with diabetes!

Again - thanks for all your comments - I am glad I asked the question the other day, you all have been most helpful.

Steve

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Always cover your ass!! DVLA and onsurance should be known as ACYA!!!!

Reactions: 2 people