Drop in bloods after eating

garykary

Hi all,
Is it normal for bloods to drop after eating as mine have done on more than one occasion. Bloods pre breakfast were 6.9 this morning but dropped to 5.0 2hr after eating. I had one slice of brown bread toast with scrambled eggs.
I'm still trying to get my head round what the different readings but just assumed eating would always make things go up?
I'm type 2 and on 1000 metformin a day.
Thanks

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @garykary,

Really not all that surprising if you assume your pre-breakfast levels might have been elevated due to dawn phenomenon (early morning rise due the release of glucagon and other hormones to provide energy for getting up), or foot-on-floor effect (release of glucagon to provide energy for early morning activity). Did you test what happened half an hour and one hour after having breakfast? Wonder if your blood sugars moved downward right away.

Reactions: garykary

garykary

Hi @garykary,

Really not all that surprising if you assume your pre-breakfast levels might have been elevated due to dawn phenomenon or foot-on-floor effect. Did you test what happened half an hour and one hour after having breakfast? Wonder if your blood sugars moved downward right away.
Thanks, all a bit new to me and had just been told to test 2hrs after eating. I'll start doing more frequent tests then to see if there's a pattern. Ta

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, all a bit new to me and had just been told to test 2hrs after eating. I'll start doing more frequent tests then to see if there's a pattern. Ta

Testing more often is not strictly necessary for control. I sometimes tests at ealier intervals to find out how my metabolism reacts -- IMO rather a matter of curiosity rather than necessity.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi all,
Is it normal for bloods to drop after eating as mine have done on more than one occasion. Bloods pre breakfast were 6.9 this morning but dropped to 5.0 2hr after eating. I had one slice of brown bread toast with scrambled eggs.
I'm still trying to get my head round what the different readings but just assumed eating would always make things go up?
I'm type 2 and on 1000 metformin a day.
Thanks
Hi,
When I get a reduction after eating breakfast, which is quite often I had been putting it down to the fact that my breakfast contained some protein but almost no carbs ( <1 gram). These days whenever I have breakfast (i.e. am not doing IF) my breakfast is 2 boiled eggs.
I have no experience of eating any significant amount of carbs for breakfast since I discovered what my previous bowl of boiled oats (porridge) did to my BG despite being supposedly healthy and Low GI.

Reactions: garykary

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a feeling that, when you eat, insulin is produced, hence the drop in glucose levels
I hope someone would please correct me if I'm wrong but this certainly has been the case for me.