Drugs that affect blood sugar

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across this list from another site, to say I was surprised is an understatement
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/drugs-that-can-affect-blood-glucose-levels/
Yes, and I find health professionals are not only ignorant of this, but couldn't care less when I point out that a drug they have prescribed for me risks raising my already elevated bg.

Quite recently I was started on Apixaban (one of the New Oral Anti-Coagulants) in order to reduce my risk of stroke (from non-symptomatic AF). When I read the Patient Info. leaflet and realised it was liable to raise my bg I immediately stopped taking it and asked to be changed onto Dabigatran, which works in a different way and doesn't (admit to) raising bg. The GP I talked to was not my usual one. She tried to be really authoritarian, saying, "We don't usually like to change people". Obviously the "we" did not include me! She then tried to insist that I go on taking Apixaban, as anti-coagulation was in her view more important than bg. I insisted that in my view, the certain harm of raised bg trumped the possible harm of not taking an anti-coagulant. To her credit, when she realised that there was no way she was going to be able to force me to take Apixaban, she bustled round and organised a prescription for Dabigatran. But if I had not been a well-informed and stubborn person, I would doubtless be taking Apixaban to this day.

Reactions: brassyblonde900

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I find frightening are the ones that can cause hypo and hyper glycemia... how on earth do you treat that!
Sometimes I am very glad I take no medication whatsoever..

Reactions: brassyblonde900

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across this list from another site, to say I was surprised is an understatement
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/drugs-that-can-affect-blood-glucose-levels/
Always read the patient information leaflet. I like also to Google for other information regarding any med I am being prescribed. Sometimes there is information aimed at health professionals that is fuller than that aimed at patients. Sometimes one brand will give fuller information than another.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I strongly believe medical practitioners, harbour a hidden but pervasive opinion that Type 2 diabetes is self inflicted.
The attitude some of them exhibit, can be safely described as indifferent.
Why else would they be so woefully uniformed about this condition, for crying out loud!!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly believe medical practitioners, harbour a hidden but pervasive opinion that Type 2 diabetes is self inflicted.
Why else would they be so woefully uniformed about this condition, for crying out loud!!
The first diagnosis I had was that I was Type 1. The consultant reassured me that it wasn't my fault that I had type 1 - which sort of suggested that if I had type 2 it would have been self inflicted. I was really happy not to be T2 at the time because I didn't want it to be my fault and very disappointed to have the diagnosis changed to T2. That changed of course when I realised I could control it with diet and I realised how lucky l was to have T2.

I do believe that I am genetically predisposed to develop diabetes so I have stopped believing that it is my fault. I have a very good friend who is at least 6 stone heavier than me who still eats all the same sugary and starchy carbs that I used to eat and still has absolutely brilliant blood sugars. It looks as though she will never develop diabetes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it may also be due to doctors' being taught that diabetes is progressive and nothing much can be done to prevent this. The GP believed she could reduce my chances of having a stroke by making me take an anti-coagulant, and reduce my chances of heart disease by making me take a statin (except that I won't). She had not been instructed to inform me about my rising A1c readings or help me avoid developing diabetes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just more proof that the more we do to help ourselves and avoid meds as the “pushed way”- the better.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just more proof that the more we do to help ourselves and avoid meds as the “pushed way”- the better.
Yes and no. IMO it is a shame there is such a knee-jerk anti-meds attitude on this Forum. Yes, we should be very careful what we take, and yes, meds can't replace a low carb diet, but I am sorry that many people will settle for bgs that are higher than ideal while refusing Metformin. Perhaps my attitude has been formed by the fact that for years I have been taking Flecainide to suppress symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation. Without this my life would not be worth living.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The first diagnosis I had was that I was Type 1. The consultant reassured me that it wasn't my fault that I had type 1 - which sort of suggested that if I had type 2 it would have been self inflicted. I was really happy not to be T2 at the time because I didn't want it to be my fault and very disappointed to have the diagnosis changed to T2. That changed of course when I realised I could control it with diet and I realised how lucky l was to have T2.

I do believe that I am genetically predisposed to develop diabetes so I have stopped believing that it is my fault. I have a very good friend who is at least 6 stone heavier than me who still eats all the same sugary and starchy carbs that I used to eat and still has absolutely brilliant blood sugars. It looks as though she will never develop diabetes.

I just wondered did your doctors attitude change with your diagnosis.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking back on it I actually don't think either the doctors or diabetes nurses attitudes changed towards me at all. If they did change they didn't show it. My own attitude did change though because I felt it was totally my fault that I had T2 and I was very angry and disappointed with myself for causing it.

That of course changed when I realised that it wasn't my fault and that I could actually do something about it. Thank goodness for the support from this forum and the books written by Gary Taubes and Dr Jason Fung and all the info and podcasts on the internet from numerous Doctors, Scientists and Researchers on how to manage diabetes. I also have a super diabetes Nurse who totally supports low carb as the only way that I can manage it. So now I spend all my energy on overcoming diabetes rather than beating myself up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, and I find health professionals are not only ignorant of this, but couldn't care less when I point out that a drug they have prescribed for me risks raising my already elevated bg.

Quite recently I was started on Apixaban (one of the New Oral Anti-Coagulants) in order to reduce my risk of stroke (from non-symptomatic AF). When I read the Patient Info. leaflet and realised it was liable to raise my bg I immediately stopped taking it and asked to be changed onto Dabigatran, which works in a different way and doesn't (admit to) raising bg. The GP I talked to was not my usual one. She tried to be really authoritarian, saying, "We don't usually like to change people". Obviously the "we" did not include me! She then tried to insist that I go on taking Apixaban, as anti-coagulation was in her view more important than bg. I insisted that in my view, the certain harm of raised bg trumped the possible harm of not taking an anti-coagulant. To her credit, when she realised that there was no way she was going to be able to force me to take Apixaban, she bustled round and organised a prescription for Dabigatran. But if I had not been a well-informed and stubborn person, I would doubtless be taking Apixaban to this day.
I agree that some dept are so nieve to diabetes influences and find it a bit too overwhelming for them. They prefer to allow diabetes dept take its ownership. Loads needs to be done to train every member of staff to a decent diabetic knowledge level.
Maybe I should set up a charity when able to work again. I don't mind training them a few at a time. It would be a pleasure.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take an antipsycotic for my bipolar which does affect my bg levels, they are higher then should be but not excessively high. My pdoc is aware of this as is my gp.
This med is helping me bipolar wise. My pdoc will review this med once my levels get out of control. It's a risk I take at the moment

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
quetiapine helped me get rid of depressions as the ordinary stopped working... but well maybe quetiapine also helped me get diabetes... .. but well I take them again... and they are known to make people also have more appetite and sugar cravings... but I don´t function without them have tried.. --- they are also known to raise blood glucose in general... but I am not sure it is much in my case

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
quetiapine helped me get rid of depressions as the ordinary stopped working... but well maybe quetiapine also helped me get diabetes... .. but well I take them again... and they are known to make people also have more appetite and sugar cravings... but I don´t function without them have tried.. --- they are also known to raise blood glucose in general... but I am not sure it is much in my case
I am on Quetiapine and have more of apptite taking them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's tough being dependant on some meds with their side effects.
Mebeverine for IBS is coated with sugar. So three times a day it just boasts high bgs. :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Quetiapine and have more of apptite taking them.

but you are really doing much better lately, and I know it is anoying when a great effort doesn´t get one down into the normal range .. but keep on Ally , you are in the right direction

Last edited:
Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
but you are really doing much better lately, and I know it is anoying when a great effort doesn´t get one down into the normal range .. but keep on Ally , you are in the right direction
Thank you

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I stopped reading that list when I got to the B section, one of my heart tablets Bisoprolol got a mention.

Taking that medication twice a day is more important to me than elevated bgl (which It does not appear to).
My bisoprolol doesn't raise mine either, well not immediately. Mine helps fast heart beat so it slows my heart down but it may slow thyroid function down as I've added weight since mine was doubled. So ineffect maybe it does?
Mebeverine definitely does by a few mmol/L per meal or milkshake. So sugary milk shake replacement and mebeverine needs more insulin. So counter productive.