Drugs

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You make your own bacon? What about coffee?
Interesting how those who seem to be very cautious about any possible health risks of processed food, vegetable oil etc seem to be able to ignore the warnings about preserved meats and bacon in particular.

Reactions: Ponchu

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting how those who seem to be very cautious about any possible health risks of processed food, vegetable oil etc seem to be able to ignore the warnings about preserved meats and bacon in particular.
I've wondered about that. I've always assumed that for a T2 the risks associated with preserved meats are outweighed by the risks associated with carbs... For a non-diabetic, the risks are different.

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat bacon and preserved meats, I have had no ill effects from it in all of years I have been eating them. I am careful of what vegies I eat, sprouts, rutabaga, parsnips, are off the food list here. I use olive oil, and a canola spray.

What I do not do is snort a schedule one drug up my nose as that is unhealthy. :wacky:

Reactions: Cumberland
M

Member496333

You make your own bacon? What about coffee?

:D

Bacon is cured, not processed. Coffee is roasted and ground coffee beans - you can have that one if you like. Although I would think it’s fairly clear what I mean by processed...something containing lots of ingredients, many unnatural, and blended in a factory to make a food-like product.

Either way my strategy works for me. I’m not suggesting anyone else has to follow :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've wondered about that. I've always assumed that for a T2 the risks associated with preserved meats are outweighed by the risks associated with carbs... For a non-diabetic, the risks are different.
In the case of carbs we can see by measuring BG a direct result so the effect is obvious. Weighing up the risks of say vegetable oil against bacon where the effect is long term is more difficult and I think people are often influenced by what suits them rather than logic. There are plenty of substitutes for vegetable oil but nothing quite like bacon.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is possible to buy dry cured bacon cured the old way. i buy it when i can, and use it sparingly.

Hotpepper20000

:D

Bacon is cured, not processed. Coffee is roasted and ground coffee beans - you can have that one if you like. Although I would think it’s fairly clear what I mean by processed...something containing lots of ingredients, many unnatural, and blended in a factory to make a food-like product.

Either way my strategy works for me. I’m not suggesting anyone else has to follow :)
All good, sorry I was having a bit of fun.
I respect how you have tackled your health. And enjoy your posts.
I have to remember to add a ;)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Is there a social media expression for lighting a fire and walking away?

Back in the day, flaming was making an angry response, hence flame wars.

Making a contentious statement was trolling, after the style of fishing where you drag a shiny artificial lure through the water and hope something bites.

Meaning seems to have drifted a bit recently.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
In this preliminary study, cocaine use was found in a significant number of adults admitted with DKA and was associated with more frequent omission of insulin therapy and the absence of precipitating systemic illness. Either because of its association with insulin therapy omission or its effects on counterregulatory hormones, cocaine use should be considered a risk factor for DKA, particularly in patients with multiple admissions.

DIABETIC ketoacidosis (DKA) is a potentially fatal complication of diabetes mellitus characterized by hyperglycemia, the production of ketone bodies, and systemic acidosis.1 Although traditionally attributed to absolute insulin deficiency, it is now believed that a relative insulin deficiency coupled with excess production of at least 1 counterregulatory hormone is required for excess hepatic ketoacid production.2 Such counterregulatory hormones include catecholamines, cortisol, glucagon, and growth hormone."

So cocaine not a very good idea especialy if you are diabetic.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/209125

Ponchu

6 months of no processed foods (including lab oils).

I finally tested bread —Einkorn flour w honey didn’t go well.

Then whole wheat sprouted flour.

It did not put me above 140.

I don’t know if I really want breads back in my lifestyle again.