Dry mouth

stevesellars

Morning all, so I've just had my first 3 month blood review I've dropped from 60 down to 57 and this was over crimbo.
However over the last few days I'm waking up in the morning with a really bad dry mouth regardless of how much water i drink doesn't seem to touch it. Even now be up for the last 1.5hrs I've had a black coffee, glass of milk and 250ml water and still like the bottom of a birds cage!!!! Its giving me a headache Plus blurred vision.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a way to check your BG? Its all symptoms of high levels and hba1c's can be misleading as if you spend most of the time in acceptable range it can still come back as "ok", many find caffeine spiked their BG and a glass of milk would for most too xx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blurred vision, dry mouth and thirst are all symptoms of high blood glucose. If you don't have a glucose meter yourself, I'd call your doctor for a test, or see if they do glucose tests at your pharmacy.
Sounds like your symptoms have come on rather sudden, if that is because your BG has suddenly risen a lot you want to have that get checked!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, so I've just had my first 3 month blood review I've dropped from 60 down to 57 and this was over crimbo.
However over the last few days I'm waking up in the morning with a really bad dry mouth regardless of how much water i drink doesn't seem to touch it. Even now be up for the last 1.5hrs I've had a black coffee, glass of milk and 250ml water and still like the bottom of a birds cage!!!! Its giving me a headache Plus blurred vision.
I had a recent bout of sticky dry mouth, always while asleep, about six months ago, while my BG was falling sharply and which persisted after I'd reached sub-40 HbA1c. Fortunately it seems to have gone now but it was not associated with rising BG in my case. I suppose it's possible that it links to dawn phenomenon, but my dawn ph doesn't take me out of 'normal' range. Puzzling.

Max68

Just thought I would place this here as it was the cause for me. I had an extremely dry mouth, almost over night last year. GP said everything was fine at the time so had no idea what the problem was so did a bit of googling. Cut a long story short I had accidentally purchased a different toothpaste which was the whitening version of what I usually get, so stopped using it and the dry mouth cleared up as quickly as it came. Used the toothpaste again a week later to experiment and the dry mouth came back, so for me at least, on that occasion it was the whitening properties in the toothpaste that created my issue. Just thought I would mention it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would place this here as it was the cause for me. I had an extremely dry mouth, almost over night last year. GP said everything was fine at the time so had no idea what the problem was so did a bit of googling. Cut a long story short I had accidentally purchased a different toothpaste which was the whitening version of what I usually get, so stopped using it and the dry mouth cleared up as quickly as it came. Used the toothpaste again a week later to experiment and the dry mouth came back, so for me at least, on that occasion it was the whitening properties in the toothpaste that created my issue. Just thought I would mention it.
Weird. Not the toothpaste for me, and too long ago now to recall if anything else changed. But useful for next time, if there is one.

Reactions: Max68