DVLA guidelines

Elc1112

Got my renewed license in the post today. It came with "a guide to insulin treated diabetes and driving". This guide reads "The risk of hypoglycaemia is the main danger to safe driving and this risk increases the longer you are on insulin treatment."

This made me so angry. The risk of having a hypo does NOT increase the longer you have been on insulin. I'm not sure how the DVLA have come to this conclusion. I have fewer hypos now than I did when first diagnosed. For a start, I'm better at recognising the symptoms and will usually notice when my sugars are in the low fours. In other words, before crossing over into 'hypo' territory. Secondly, the longer I have been diabetic the better I have become at managing me sugar levels and this avoiding hypos.

Ok, so I guess you could argue that somebody who has been on insulin for a long time and has had lots of hypos will eventually become hypo unaware. This could, in turn, mean that somebody has more hypos.

It just really annoys me as it seems that the DVLA have a really poor understanding of diabetes. It worries me that they decide who can drive and who cannot. I totally understand the need to assess fitness to drive and I agree that somebody who cannot recognise the symptoms of a hypo could be a danger behind the wheel. I just wish they were a bit more clued up on the condition before issuing 'guides'.

I will stop ranting now. Thanks for listening/reading!

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Elc1112 said:
I have fewer hypos now than I did when first diagnosed. For a start, I'm better at recognising the symptoms and will usually notice when my sugars are in the low fours. In other words, before crossing over into 'hypo' territory. Secondly, the longer I have been diabetic the better I have become at managing me sugar levels and this avoiding hypos.

Much the same here Em's, never had any third party assistance with a hypo but I'd imagine the DVLA will be going from statistics that they have collated with regards to the statement that they enclosed with your drivers licence.

Mines due for renewal next year so not looking forward to filling out all the forms again :(

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Much as I dislike the way DVLA operate I think statistically they are correct. There will always be exceptions but over time there are a large number of diabetics who lose awareness with time. Glad you got your license back though. Took me 10 months and a lot of jumping through hoops to eventually get my LGV license back.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've been waiting on tender hooks for over 4 weeks now and came home from work tonight to a DVLA envelope! Thankfully they processed it and my renewed license was enclosed. I've just read about so many others having problems that I was a bit nervous. Must admit I found the application form quite straightforward - I realise though it's not as straightforward as that always. Anyone who wants any advice on the form filling I'd be happy to assist.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pure numbers.
It is true.
Pick a number out of the air, and say an average number for a hypo is once every five years. If you haven't had one for six years, you're overdue. Ten years, and you're well overdue, so statistically you're more at risk.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Riri, perhaps you could offer some help and guidance on form filling to the GP who filled in my form! She ticked a wrong box so the DVLA decided not to renew my licence :( . Hopefully it's sorted now and with any luck I'll get it back this week.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I must admit to taking my time over filling it so as to make sure there wasn't a mistake on it. GP caused you a lot of hassle by the sounds of it - was he filling it in in your behalf or was he asked to comment by DVLA?

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Appointment was asked for by DVLA as my licence was up for three yr renewal. She (GP) admitted the mistake but by then it was too late. The letter from the tower said " I had lost awareness of the danger of potential hypo whilst driving". I've never had hypo whilst driving and do know the dangers... Am a registered nurse, albeit retired, lol

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Ps... and have filled these forms in on four previous occasions so they're not new to me.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Update.... On Tuesday I telephoned the DVLA and was told my letter was in the posting pile... Well it's now Saturday, the post has just arrived but there's nothing from the DVLA! Just how long does it take for a letter to be transferred from the pile to the mailbox???? I am SO p***ed off!! :(

Euphemia

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I've been waiting on tender hooks for over 4 weeks now and came home from work tonight to a DVLA envelope! Thankfully they processed it and my renewed license was enclosed. I've just read about so many others having problems that I was a bit nervous. Must admit I found the application form quite straightforward - I realise though it's not as straightforward as that always. Anyone who wants any advice on the form filling I'd be happy to assist.

Hi need advice about question 3 asking if ever had a hypo, why would they want to know that if it is only hypos needing assistance that gets a licence taken away. Thinking of ticking NO as I have come across diabetic who have ticked yes and no to needing assistance but have still got their licence taken away.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi need advice about question 3 asking if ever had a hypo, why would they want to know that if it is only hypos needing assistance that gets a licence taken away. Thinking of ticking NO as I have come across diabetic who have ticked yes and no to needing assistance but have still got their licence taken away.
They are asking if you have had a hypo then asking if you needed help this is to prove that you are hypo aware or not. So if you have hypo's then tick yes.
People need to make sure they tick the correct boxes or good bye licence. I always tick yes to hypos but no assistance needed. Never ever had a problem renewing licence.

iHs

I am hoping that the DVLA will re word the DIAB1 questionnaire so that nightime hypos requiring 3rd party help will no longer need to be mentioned as its ridiculous to presume that someone should be able to wake up from being fast asleep. Once that is done, more people will open up a bit morewith their doctors instead of looking at internet forums for advice.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When they say did you need help, also bear in mind this means that you were incapable of helping yourself, not that somebody just happened to fetch you a juice or a glucose tablet because they were with you at the time.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
As CarbsRok advises Euphemia

Euphemia

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
When they say did you need help, also bear in mind this means that you were incapable of helping yourself, not that somebody just happened to fetch you a juice or a glucose tablet because they were with you at the time.

Thanks all for replying, No he has never needed help, always knows when he is going low, but just that I read on some other forums that if you say you have had an episode of hypo question 3 then it automatically gets investigated even if you say that you didn't need assistance. and that you always know when your are hypo!.

Ali
As CarbsRok advises Euphemia

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they are mostly interested in regular and repeated hypos, loss of awareness and requiring assistance. A fair few diabetics will have hypos at some point. I think they write to your Consultant on occasions but providing you are aware of the above etc there should be no reason to remove your licence.

Ali