dvla notification

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think so, but check it out wih diabetes Uk that's the kind of stuff they tend to know

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi, YES YOU DO, sorry but thats the way DVLA want it.
The DVLA will contact your Dr and check if your ok to frive.
You could be in real trouble if you dont, try the DVLA web site.
T2 for almost a year.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Graham,
If you check the above DVLA link that Sarah has posted you will find that a Type-2 who is not on insulin DOES NOT need to inform DVLA unless they are suffering from complications, such as retinopathy or neuropathy. The DVLA information is dated September 2008.

It does help if people would please check their facts before posting "advice" on the forum.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sarah,
The bit I was referring to is not the part in the instructions for GPs but the appendix on page 29 which informs GP of what the rules for drivers are. It says:

Drivers of cars or motorcycles with
Diabetes treated by tablets, diet or both

When do you need to tell DVLA?

(Please keep this leaflet safe so you can refer to it in the future.)

Drivers do not need to tell DVLA if their diabetes is treaded by tablets, diet or both and they are free of the complications listed below.

However, I agree that as DVLA seem to change the regulations so often, it certainly does no harm to check with them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I just remmber that I didn't need to tell them. I had to give up my license after the stroke for a minimum of 6 weeks, but I got it back. I have never informed them of the diabetes.

stevied

I've said it before,and I'll say it again....Do not tell this "Shower in power anything".Have you not noticed the state this country is in :?: Data files,laptops etc etc being lost,stolen.Once you're on the list you don't get off.Believe me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
The driving license laws here are less swingeing than in my old home the Czech Republic. there, my cousin, lost his license for 10 years because he has epilepsy and had 1 daytime fit. Here, he'd have lost it for 2 years.

stevied

SarahQ said:
stevied said:
I've said it before,and I'll say it again....Do not tell this "Shower in power anything".Have you not noticed the state this country is in :?: Data files,laptops etc etc being lost,stolen.Once you're on the list you don't get off.Believe me.

Steve, if you are on insulin or have any condition that is listed or might effect your ability to drive, by law you must inform DVLA.
If you do not then you are driving without a license(yours is invalid) so you then have no ins either.
What makes your stance worse is that you know this.
It is the same with people who drive who have no hypo awareness. They are not allowed to hold a driving license so if they do drive they again are breaking the law by driving with no valid license and again this means no ins cover.

Type 2.1 tablet daily.No insulin.No conditions as listed.I'm telling them nothing. :wink:

Giblet

Hi there. I actually told the DVLA on wednesday. Spoke to a nice lady and told her i was type 2 on Metformin, and she said she would send me a letter. The letter arrived on Friday. It just says thanks for informing us, just be aware that if anything changes for example peripheral vision change of medication neuropathy etc, then inform them so they can re assess you. Sorted!

JB.xx

Trinkwasser

stevied said:

That's if they don't lose the list

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
SarahQ said:
stevied said:

Steve, if you are on insulin or have any condition that is listed or might effect your ability to drive, by law you must inform DVLA.
If you do not then you are driving without a license(yours is invalid) so you then have no ins either.
It is the same with people who drive who have no hypo awareness. They are not allowed to hold a driving license so if they do drive they again are breaking the law by driving with no valid license and again this means no ins cover.

well said sarah people like steve will someday cause an accident that will probably kill someone.

stevied

matty1959 said:
SarahQ said:
stevied said:

well said sarah people like steve will someday cause an accident that will probably kill someone.

Matty....Read my post of 11th Oct 2008,12.23pm and tell me how I will cause an accident.

von Spreuth

All this seems very silly. I was a Copper in Merseyside and stopped a guy for driving over a stop sign.

He had a disabled sticker, and it was about 20:00 on a November evening.

When it got to court, it turned ouit that this guy had got his disability sticker because he was .... now glue yourselves to your seats here ...."registered blind". He even had an allowance for a bloody GUIDE dog!!! :? :|

Worse was to come.

The magistrate refused to take his licence off him, saying "he needed it for work".

So as far as DVLA goes, take EVERYthing with a sack, not a "pinch", of very strong salt.

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
SarahQ said:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/DG_10030957

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting advice on the web regarding the driving issues :roll:

hi sarah all anyone needs to do is check the back of their paper license and tells them if they have any medical condition that could affect their fitness to drive .