Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This thread is for everyone who wants to fast and would find it helpful to share their experience and receive or provide support for others.:)

There are no rules as to how long your fast should last or what type of fast you chose to do. Some people may want to just use drinks with no carbs or calories and others may want to have an occasional slug of double cream in their coffee or a cup of bone broth. Its up to you.

Reactions: jpscloud and Pipp

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My personal target is to fast from waking tomorrow Sunday 3rd March until dinner on Thursday 7th and, as my main aim is to trigger Autophagy, I will be drinking just water, black decaff coffee and sugar / carb free herbal or fruit teas.

I will update this post with my progress.

Anyone else want to join in???

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook will plan to join on Tuesday. Bit too close to the last one to start tomorrow and a friend from the US will be in London on Monday so will likely eat with them. I’ll plan to fast after dinner Monday and see where it takes me. Good luck!

Reactions: Fit725

Merrylizard1314

It is Sunday morning here, and I am continuing my water/ tea/salt fast until my numbers settle down to normal.
BGL 5.8
Ketones 0.8
Weight loss 2.5kg
No real hunger yet, but lunch meetings on Thursday and Friday, so will see how it goes.

Reactions: Ponchu

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Coming back onto doing 16:8's again or OMAD but I may have to try doing a 72 hour fast when I go back to work this next week because I get so busy I don't care to even eat. Wishing you all so much luck!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps after low carb pancakes on Tuesday.
Will be cheering you on from sidelines, regardless.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coming back onto doing 16:8's again or OMAD but I may have to try doing a 72 hour fast when I go back to work this next week because I get so busy I don't care to even eat. Wishing you all so much luck!

I really do admire your willingness to jump right in, now you've got yourself onto a really positive path, but just take it steady. Don't try to do too much too soon.

But, what do I know!

Reactions: Ponchu and jjraak

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread is for everyone who wants to fast and would find it helpful to share their experience and receive or provide support for others.:)

There are no rules as to how long your fast should last or what type of fast you chose to do. Some people may want to just use drinks with no carbs or calories and others may want to have an occasional slug of double cream in their coffee or a cup of bone broth. Its up to you.

I’ll join you. My FBG was 7.4 this morning, probably due to a very late meal last night and too much protein. Think I need to fast to reset again. Not sure how long tho.

EDIT. We are now having dinner out this evening so I will do it another time. I’m not missing out on a rare dinner out! Sorry

Last edited:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I really do admire your willingness to jump right in, now you've got yourself onto a really positive path, but just take it steady. Don't try to do too much too soon.

But, what do I know!
Haha! More than me honestly but thank you for the kindness. I’ll take it slow and make sure that I don’t push it too soon. Wouldn’t want me burning out before I can even begin!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! More than me honestly but thank you for the kindness. I’ll take it slow and make sure that I don’t push it too soon. Wouldn’t want me burning out before I can even begin!

You got it!

Reactions: jpscloud

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 1 - back to the same weight that I was at the end of my last fast - which isn't good. :grumpy: I've GOT to work on keeping the weight off after a fast finishes. (Possibly an extended 'mini break' with most meals eaten out wasn't such a good idea. :banghead:.) AND my fasting blood glucose test this morning was back up to my pre fast level.

So far so good today. No hunger yet at all despite Mr C preparing himself a huge Full English for his pre-work meal.

During my last fast the problematic times were missing dinner on day 1 and missing breakfast on day 2 - after that I didn't really experience too much hunger, just the munchies which I drowned with mugs of fruit or herbal teas so I'm hoping that it's going to be the same way this time.

Mr C asked me why I was fasting rather than doing the ND or Michael Mosley 800 cal diet (both of which I've tried) and I think it's because fasting is more straightforward - no eating at all is, for me, much easier rather than seeing how far I can stretch 800 calories. Plus when I'm fasting hunger comes in waves but on restricted calories I just felt hungry all the time.

FBG today was 8.4

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no eating at all is, for me, much easier rather than seeing how far I can stretch 800 calories. Plus when I'm fasting hunger comes in waves but on restricted calories I just felt hungry all the time.

Agree with that. Good luck! Still planning to fast from after dinner on Monday.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheering from the sidelines here too, wishing you all the very best with your fasts. I will probably do 16:8 and OMAD this week.

@Chook, I agree - fasting is much easier and kinder on my psychology than trying to choose what to eat on restricted calories. When I used calorie restriction I felt so miserable and just obsessed about food all the time. I don't even think about it when fasting (until the time when fasting is up... then I'm hungry as hell, but still eat very moderately)

Good luck fasting all :)

Merrylizard1314

Agree with you, @Chook that fasting is better than calorie restriction.., although I read about fasting mimicking diets where 2avocadoes a day were the equivalent in nutrient density, of Valter Longo's packages.
BGL 5.4
Ketones 1.4
BP 126/80 p70
Weight loss 2,8 kg
The results so far are glacially slow, but I will keep on at least until Thursday. I am aiming to lose about 10kg by the end of the month, which will put me back where I was, weight wise before my food swapping idiocy, and I am hoping that my BGL and HbA1c will also return to what I perceive as normal pretty soon, although it does all seem unpredictable from here.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thinking of starting on Clean Monday (starts the evening of Sunday) of the 2019 Orthodox Great Fast and breaking the fast with St. Theodore Tyron although I will have a minimal amount of the kolliva

https://www.goarch.org/chapel/saints?contentid=1028&PCode=1LENTSA&D=SA&DT=3/16/2019

So, I will be starting a week later than most of y'all

You will be very welcome :).

I like the idea of the Great Orthodox Fast and starting on Clean Monday - I'm not sure about the boiled wheat though. :dead:

Reactions: jpscloud and Ponchu

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree with you, @Chook that fasting is better than calorie restriction.., although I read about fasting mimicking diets where 2avocadoes a day were the equivalent in nutrient density, of Valter Longo's packages.
BGL 5.4
Ketones 1.4
BP 126/80 p70
Weight loss 2,8 kg
The results so far are glacially slow, but I will keep on at least until Thursday. I am aiming to lose about 10kg by the end of the month, which will put me back where I was, weight wise before my food swapping idiocy, and I am hoping that my BGL and HbA1c will also return to what I perceive as normal pretty soon, although it does all seem unpredictable from here.

I think I'd prefer to have two avocados a day rather than Valter Longo' s dried processed foods in little packets. :yuck:

Reactions: jpscloud

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A shock result on the scales this morning - down 2.2 kgs since yesterday morning!! LOL I know it won't be a permanent loss (probably reduction in tummy bloat due to the absence of veg and/or dairy) but it was a lovely surprise.

Plus a small reduction in my FBG (yesterday: 8.4 / today 7.6) and a light pink result on my Ketostix test which was also nice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A shock result on the scales this morning - down 2.2 kgs since yesterday morning!! LOL I know it won't be a permanent loss (probably reduction in tummy bloat due to the absence of veg and/or dairy) but it was a lovely surprise.

Plus a small reduction in my FBG (yesterday: 8.4 / today 7.6) and a light pink result on my Ketostix test which was also nice.
Nice one.. hopefully it will improve even more..