Early March 2019 - Group Fasting Support

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I inadvertently joined in. Ate at lunchtime yesterday. Then nothing until dinner this evening, apart from 3 coffees, plenty of water, and a teaspoon of cream with each coffee.

The lack of food was mainly due to not feeling too well. Not suggesting it was due to previous fast last week, just a different health condition giving grief.

Have been reading a bit more and according to Jadon Fung with weight to lose, adding too much fat (cream) not the best plan when fasting. I have some more reading to do.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I inadvertently joined in. Ate at lunchtime yesterday. Then nothing until dinner this evening, apart from 3 coffees, plenty of water, and a teaspoon of cream with each coffee.

The lack of food was mainly due to not feeling too well. Not suggesting it was due to previous fast last week, just a different health condition giving grief.

Have been reading a bit more and according to Jadon Fung with weight to lose, adding too much fat (cream) not the best plan when fasting. I have some more reading to do.

Nothing to do with weight for me. I really like the benefits associated with autophagy.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing to do with weight for me. I really like the benefits associated with autophagy.
Fully agree, @Spl@ .
My concern is for those of us who are still overweight, or obese. Fasting and autophagy is fine, but addition of too much cream or other fat will cause weight gain.
I read it here...
https://idmprogram.com/idm-community-march-4-2019/

I hadn’t taken this into consideration, though I don’t manage too well with cream more than a teaspoon or 3 per day, but I hadn’t been wary of fats recently. This could be a reason why I am not losing weight, despite low carb, high fat, OMAD, and fasting.

Not wishing to derail @Chook ’s thread, but mention it because (forgive me if I have this wrong) I believe Chook has similar issues to mine?

Reactions: Chook and jpscloud

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Fully agree, @Spl@ .
My concern is for those of us who are still overweight, or obese. Fasting and autophagy is fine, but addition of too much cream or other fat will cause weight gain.
I read it here...

I hadn’t taken this into consideration, though I don’t manage too well with cream more than a teaspoon or 3 per day, but I hadn’t been wary of fats recently. This could be a reason why I am not losing weight, despite low carb, high fat, OMAD, and fasting.

Not wishing to derail @Chook ’s thread, but mention it because (forgive me if I have this wrong) I believe Chook has similar issues to mine?

Valid concerns.
I am on the opposite side of the line. If I skimp on fat I get really REALLY hungry. If we have fish for dinner I need to all but drink double cream straight from the pot to compensate.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Fully agree, @Spl@ .
I read it here...

Yes, I do have those issues (i would love to lose weight) but really my main reason for fasting is to trigger Autophagy - losing a few pounds and getting my BG lowered would be an added bonus.

Before I started my first fast (a couple of weeks ago) I watched a video with Jason Fung talking to someone (don't know who) in which he said protein can prevent Autophagy from being triggered and thats why I'm going all hard core and not having cream in my coffee, bone broth or even an occasional mug of Bovril.

He did also say that he thinks Autophagy could be triggered while drinking bullet proof coffee but, JMHO, I think bulletproof coffee on an empty stomach would be a but nauseating.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there are different definitions of bulletproof coffee. I know I could not manage the version that has cream and butter of ghee. I tried. My digestive system rebelled. More recently I have taken a teaspoon of double cream before each of my cups of black coffee, which is no more than 3 a day. I can happily exist on this in morning and lunch time, i place of food, just having a low carb meal early evening. Haven't been seeing lowering of BG levels or weight with that, but did with a 60+ hour fast last week. I had believed the amount of cream and fat I was having would work, but the article I quoted seems to be saying I should fast with much less fat to lose weight.
Sure ain't easy. Will be researching a bit more.

Merrylizard1314

I find that normally, a bulletproof coffee with butter and MCT oil - no cream-will see me hunger free until mid day, but for this fast, I am using only water with a pinch of salt and a tsp of apple cider vinegar, with a glass of water with magnesium before bed to see me through,
This morning ...
BGL 5.1
Ketones 1.9
BP 132/78 p58
Total weight loss 3.7kg
Still a tad disappointing, but I am aiming to end the fast at lunchtime tomorrow and resume on Monday. My family are going off for a month, camping, and I have elected to look after everyone's animals and get stuck into some domestic projects requiring few distractions. Fun all round.
Good luck, fasters, and hope to see some of you back here on Monday.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Bit of a rough night with my sore throat and sniffle (not broken out into full cold) and up a bit earlier than I’d like but no point going back to bed as too close to alarm time. Woke to a nice matching set of BG and ketones - 3.4 on each.

Weight is 57.9 so a drop of 0.6kg. Not as dramatic as last week, but hoping this is real loss.

@Pipp @Chook @Spl@ agree on the cream/fat/fasting theme. My most dramatic weight loss using IF was on sustained OMAD when I wasn’t using cream in tea. Nowadays I need the fat and efforts at longer fasts with water only failed due to extreme hunger. Hats off to you @Chook for fasting so long on water only.

Good luck to everyone today. Work still busy but will try and check back during the day.

3865AA1B-1CDD-4908-8C54-BE5592488158.jpeg

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Surprising.

4.7 bg, nothing special there apart from I was awake for an hour or more before I tested, may have a bit of liver interference.

Down 2kg according to the scales. I have noticed, especially last night my need for fluids increased. Pretty consistent dry mouth.
Otherwise good. Skipping the meal was a lot like stopping smoking. The craving passes yet you feel like you should have done something.
The extra time you have is a bit of a shocker though.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

I've just seen this thread and thought I would respond.
I've been fasting since Sunday night.
My longest fast to date is 3 days - but not recent.
I've found fasting difficult recently, so this time I added in salt.
I have read so many times that you need salt when fasting - just hadn't taken it before.
I have a couple of mugs of coffee in the morning with cream and then drink roibush or fennel tea for the rest of the day.
Since the beginning of the year I have weighed myself everyday; again I have read that this can self-sabotage; so I haven't weighed myself since Sunday.
My bg in the morning is gradually coming down.
Sunday 8.2 mmol/l
Monday 8.0 mmol/l
Tuesday 7.6 mmol/l
Wednesday 7.0 mmol/l

My plan is to fast for 5 days this time, aim to break my fast on Saturday and then for the rest of March do 3x36 to 42 hour fasts each week for weight loss.

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Have had to stop - at around the 41 hour mark. Was just too hungry and feeling very out of sorts - could be because I'm under the weather, but was getting very snappy so decided best to eat.

Fast broken with M&S rollitos.

Will post more detail later tonight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my last supper, oops no lunch. I’m very uncertain how this will go never having tried it before. On one hand it sounds easy as I often don’t bother to eat for a while no problems. On the other being (self) banned from eating is sure to bring on the perverse side of me and make me starving.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello fellow fasters :)

@HSSS - I'm the same, thus is my fourth day and I'm getting 'the munchies' coming in waves still. I thought it would have faded by now. :rolleyes:

@Goonergal - you poor thing *hug* - discontinuing a fast if you feel under the weather is DEFINITELY the best idea.I

@Minal17040 - Welcome to the thread. I like your on-going regular fasting plan. I'm not sure I could do so many fasts in a week, but maybe one or two days might be do-able for me... or a regular five day fast once a month. Not sure yet - i must make a plan.

@Merrylizard1314 - Your ketones are looking good. How much longer are you fasting for?

@Spl@ - Congratulations on the 2kg loss. I'm a bit the same, about 30-60 minutes after what would have been a usual meal time I get a vague 'forgotten something' feeling. On my first fast it occurred to me that I often use food as entertainment so I'm enjoying the extra time that not planning, cooking and eating is giving me (but not enough to extend my fast beyond 5 days.)

@Contralto - So, in the traditional fast do the participants get to eat in the dark hours (like Ramadan)? I have tried Vegan (many years ago) and i know its definitely not for me - I was hungry ALL the time.

@Pipp - I tried a week of having coconut and butter bulletproof coffee for breakfast and it was like going back in time to being pregnant with morning sickness without the actual sickness. Definitely not for me.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Nearly made it @Goonergal, i will go through to when we eat later with the rest of the spl@ clan. Daughters are out doing stuff and i'm taxi so dinner will be around 5. That will be near as 48hrs from Monday.

Have had my normal bulletproof coffee (has NO effect on my gut no matter how fatty I make it), usually have a couple a day. One thing I did notice, adding salt to my water helped a lot with my thirst oddly. Its still going through me at a rate though. Lots in, lots out. Smells strong too. But clear. Strange, should have had some keto strips or a tester ready.

Was a bit of an off the cuff decision.

BG today:

4.5 2300 (before bed)
4.7 0700
5 0900
4.8 1200
4.7 1700 (pre}
5.2 19.30 (2 1/2h post)

I have been off today, deliberate day off not sick and not eating has been weirdly much harder than I expected.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Have had to stop - at around the 41 hour mark. Was just too hungry and feeling very out of sorts - could be because I'm under the weather, but was getting very snappy so decided best to eat.

Fast broken with M&S rollitos.

Will post more detail later tonight.
I reckon it was that Ikea visit..!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the fat issue, I am one who certainly needs to keep losing weight, so I have to balance the satiety value of fat with the caloric value... so far though I don't go too mad with cream when fasting anyway, and I don't like bulletproof coffee much.

@HSSS, I find the exact opposite! When I'm doing an extended fast, I find I'm very serene and not at all crabby. When I'm eating, especially if I lapse and include carbs, I tend to get more crabby under stress. Just shows how different we all are, and I think I'm maybe very sensitive to sugar as a drug.

I have only done two extended fasts, though, so I'm no expert yet!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Another mixed day...

:arghh: FBG - lower today at 5.4 with only slight DP rise up to 5.7 before starting to go back down

:hilarious: Weight - down another 1.2 kgs (making a total since Sunday morning of 4.5 kgs - just a touch under 10lbs (I'm not expecting it to be a permanent loss)

:angelic: Blood pressure - 121 / 70 - still taking the tablets

:confused: Ketones - not bothering to test any more

:playful: Hunger - coming in waves - not helped by Mr C having a massive portion of lasagne before going to work. (LOL that reads like he ate it for breakfast - he works 2pm to 10pm).

:dead: Sleep - woke up early again - no problem getting off to sleep though

:happy: Other - Brain fog is an issue I hadn't expected. I had to do a complex repetitive task yesterday which is a regular weekly chore and which normally isn't a problem but my brain just didn't seem to want to cooperate and it took me at least twice as long as usual. Ive also had occasional waves of a dizzy, weak feeling when climbing the stairs or bending so I've added some extra salt to try to sort it out.

Reactions: Pipp

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Minal17040 - Welcome to the thread. I like your on-going regular fasting plan. I'm not sure I could do so many fasts in a week, but maybe one or two days might be do-able for me... or a regular five day fast once a month. Not sure yet - i must make a plan.

I understand, I've been eating LCHF for about 3 years now. I think I need to challenge myself to get my blood sugars down and loose weight. My head is in a positive space at the moment to try and do this. I am very curious to see what I can achieve in a month and how I feel through the process.

Reactions: Merrylizard1314