Easy food when travelling - sandwiches and wraps?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Out for the day on the train tomorrow.
We are planning what to take for food, and the easy option is always sandwiches.
Wraps are also pretty easy.
I think this is because you can put a meal together in an easy to handle package.

Alternatives such as plastic boxes with salad, hard boiled eggs etc. are feasible but eating them is a little more complex.
Chunks of cheese are a protein snack but can be boring.

I find this a balancing act between low carb and functionality.

If you are just out without any food then pre-packed sandwiches are by far the easiest.

I am going to go with a chicken mayo and salad wrap tomorrow because I thing the wrap will have less total carbohydrate than an equivalent bread - that is, enough to hold the whole hand meal together.

This occurrence is rare enough not to get into preparing alternative low carb breads.

How does the team cope?

Edit: just come back from the shops and the only wrap they had was 45+ grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams.
I ended up buying a brown loaf with 37 grams of carb per 100 grams.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek and Pipp

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually do a salad in a box, I often pick up disposable cutlery from M&S when I’m shopping, just chop up any salad stuff you like and add your protein- I have little pots I put dressing in but you could dress it bright away, things I usually add could be chicken mayo, avocado, cooked cold salmon, chopped bacon. Anything you normally eat at home will go in a tub. If you want something to hols in your hand make a wrap using lettuce - I find iceberg or plain old fashioned flat lettuce is best for this. Make it the night before and roll quite tightly then wrap tightly in cling film, helps it keep its shape.

If I’m out without any food then many supermarkets do boiled eggs to go, cooked chicken, bags of salad leaves, any cooked meat from a supermarket or deli, any fast food without the bun. I’ll be honest I don’t compromise whilst I’m out, I still eat keto, I can usually get something satisfying and tasty

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about nuts and/or olives?

As for eating things like salads, I keep a fork and spoon in my bag and some supermarkets have them at the end of their tills especially at train stations.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make sure I have a late, substantial breakfast. Very often that is enough to sustain me until late afternoon, early evening. Part of the fun of day trips is the picnic, though, and it doesn’t feel right if those accompanying me are feasting as I just observe. So, I have a small lunch bag just for me, with its own mini cool block, and some cutlery. I take some of these… mini cooked sausages, pork scratchings (great substitute for crisps) low carb crackers with cheese, ham or other cooked sliced meat wrapped around cream cheese, a few nuts, olives, tuna in a pot mixed with peppers, and cucumber. I don’t tend to have a need for the sweet stuff, but have taken small tub of yogurt, or a sugar free jelly on the odd occasion.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If I have to buy a sandwich when out or have them at lunch buffets I eat the contents by piling the filling onto a quarter of the bread as an open sandwich. I've even eaten egg fillings with a spoon.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for salad in a lunch box.

I make packed lunches at least once a week during the Summer. There's seldom anywhere to wash our hands before or after the meal, so holding items in our hands is not really an option. I often use leftovers from the previous day's meals for protein, then add a wedge of cheese and some salad all cut into bite-sized pieces which are easy to pick up with a fork.

I use a couple of rubber bands to secure each lunch box lid and then tuck our forks, wrapped in a piece of kitchen paper, under the elastic bands so they don't get left behind.

Btw, some cheeses tend to sweat in these temperatures. I find hard cheese like mature Cheddar travels better than most.

Reactions: Pipp

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My travel snacks include Nut Balls (peanut butter is the cheapest option), Cheesies (bought when on sale) and keto cakes.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a box, contents any of the following in any combination:
Hard boiled eggs
Cold meats
Cheeses
Meat wrapped round cheese (sold by shops as rollitos at extortionate prices)
Olives
Nuts
Prawns
Cucumber sticks
Celery
Home made lc soda bread
Home made seedy crackers

If cutlery is available can add egg mayo, pate,

mark.stevens

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are planning what to take for food, and the easy option is always sandwiches.
I think this is because you can put a meal together in an easy to handle package.

Alternatives such as plastic boxes with salad, hard boiled eggs etc. are feasible but eating them is a little more complex.

If you are just out without any food then pre-packed sandwiches are by far the easiest.

I am going to go with a chicken mayo and salad wrap tomorrow because I thing the wrap will have less total carbohydrate than an equivalent bread - that is, enough to hold the whole hand meal together.

This occurrence is rare enough not to get into preparing alternative low carb breads.

How does the team cope?

Edit: just come back from the shops and the only wrap they had was 45+ grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams.
milk roll or wholemeal sandwich thins are a good option in terms of having a sandwich without to much carb content

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

How does the team cope?

I have found low carb wraps in Tesco. Called - Deli Kitchen. 6 Carb Lite wraps. 14.6 carbs per wrap. 29.3 carbs per 100 grams Found them next to the normal wraps near the bread section. I bought several packs today.... £1.50 for 6 wraps.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissMuffett

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How does the team cope?

Too late to be of use now, but our very own @Antje77 turned me on to some low carb wraps here in Holland, which were available at a supermarket... And then promptly vanished from their assortment. I found them again at Holland & Barrets', and immediately got 4 packages, as they keep forever anyway. Alas, not available in the UK, but there's various options at amazon and maybe your local supermarket. Here, special stuff's usually in the super/health foods section rather than out with the other wraps, but they're there. Expensive, but easy and very convenient, and depending on the brand, tasting the same as the real, carby thing. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbakes-T...86658172&sprefix=low+carb+wrap,aps,116&sr=8-4 might be an option for instance. I dunno.

Maybe something for the next trip?

Reactions: Antje77

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all these tips. Whenever I go out/on holiday, everything is served with bread or chips, especially small airports abroad where you can only buy sandwiches or chocolates! Alas I am not a preparer and thus suffer for my laziness.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sandwiches only when made with a SRSLY 2g carb roll.

I prefer homemade salad in a box. Caesar salad minus croutons works well. Cardini's caesar dressing has around 4g carb per 100.

And salamis, nuts, cheese. I have a couple of military issue "butter boxes" that cost about 50p each, screw shut and will carry greasy or oily food items. They go inside a washable and sealable rubberised drysack bag. I also have a multi tool knife/fork/spoon set.

• Useful
Reactions: Outlier

Sheepish1947

This is a huge problem. If I’m travelling from home I take a box of salad or a sandwich made with LiveLife bread which doesn’t spike my blood glucose levels. This weekend we’re off for a group trip with friends of my husband. The only places we’re stopping for lunch are all museums or heritage railways. If I skip lunch (puts my BG up) he moans at me and I have to watch everyone else eating. Bad enough to have to skip the crisps, cakes and ice creams!
We’ve had to pre-order our dinners so at least I know how I’m going to have to manage that. Just have to sit there while everyone else has dessert.
I hope you’ve enjoyed your picnic. I’m just glad that wine consistently lowers my BG so I’ll make sure to have a glass or two.

• Friendly
Reactions: LittleGreyCat

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use a thin omelette as a wrap, personally I go classic cheese & ham but you can flll with whatever you want or cold chaffles as "bread rolls"

Crocdundee

How does the team cope?

I use these wraps. Only 4g carbs per wrap and they limit my blood sugar spike. We make pizzas out of these on Saturdays and you wouldn't even know I had eaten according to my CGM.

Attachments

• wraps.jpeg
    wraps.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 105

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use these wraps. Only 4g carbs per wrap and they limit my blood sugar spike. We make pizzas out of these on Saturdays and you wouldn't even know I had eaten according to my CGM.
Where can you find these wraps? I'm in the UK

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I get these occasionally from Sainsbury’s In the gluten free section rather than with the rest of the breads and wraps. Expensive though. Double the price of standard wraps for half the amount. Make sure you get the right ones (high protein) as they have sweet potato and multigrain too both of which are much higher carbs.

watch out for low carb and carb lite wraps in the main section - they are still sky high and it’s fake advertising as far as I’m concerned