Eat well for less

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the "Eat Well" bit of the programme title was a bit misleading. I didnt notice if there was any information of what medication (if any) people were on?
The programme is really about saving money not about health, this week's episode just happened to feature a couple who were diabetic. I don't usually watch it as the message is the same every week, change to supermarket own brands and cook yourself rather than eat expensive takeaways.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That hopeless dietician going on about sugar, fat and calories. Not a mention of carbs ..... so far. I can’t watch any more. How can she call herself a dietician?! It’s ridiculous and going in about weight causing T2D.

I found it quite upsetting. As a thin T2 who has followed a “healthy whole food vegetarian diet” for years, I ended up with my sentence of T2! I couldn’t eat any of that without my BG being in the stratosphere. I accidentally had one mouthful of orange juice and my BG was very high. I had full fat Pepsi (by accident) and I had a reading of 25!! But I suppose they are on meds which will lower readings. As for swapping Rice Krispies for porridge and swapping white bread and lemon curd fir whole meal bread with banana!!!! OMG she needs some training. End of rant!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to rant again, but HOW can that dietician advise that way of eating for someone with diabetes. Truly awful. Still not heard the word carbs! I feel a letter coming on...

M

Member496333

Sorry to rant again, but HOW can that dietician advise that way of eating for someone with diabetes. Truly awful. Still not heard the word carbs! I feel a letter coming on...

I haven't got that far yet. I rage quit again when I got to the bit where the woman was eating cornflakes and banana :angelic:

Reactions: Flora123

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I've still not calmed down. I only watched as I'd seen it advertised that the couple was t2, I just knew they wouldn't offer LCHF. Not sure whether I was so irate but didn't see any BG results after the experiment, yes they lost weight but anyone would after stopping that much sugar. I wonder whether their GP watched it and after 20 years why hadn't the GP investigated further.
Coincidentally had my diabetic review today and was asked by health care assistant whether I had three balanced meals a day. When I said I LCHF'd she told me I'd got it the wrong way round. I informed her that my GP recommended it and as my weight has now officially dropped 6 stones since diagnosis I thought I had got it the right way round. She then very quickly passed me over to the Nurse Practitioner who said that I must be the patient that my GP held up as a shining example for LCHF in meetings. They work in adjoining rooms. Is there no hope? :arghh:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow!

Caught the end of this last night. (By accident.) Then the rest on catchup just now..

Whatever meds the husband was on. There felt the need to test.. It was a fancy meter too! Accu-Chek mobile.
Lol, they actually gauge BGs about 15%!higher than a calibrated NHS issue?
For clarity, I've pushed out the same drop for a Nurse issue strip & my cartridge on a few occaisions where appropriate, consistently out (higher on mine) by 15%.

Having said that. My dad on metformin was issued on script a "drum" meter by Accu-Chek, & he was on metformin.
We did have the same GP at the time.

I don't feel we should judge these people. They were caught in a moment they couldn't get out of.. A care free youth & what not.

But they still have a fair bit of understanding of thier conditions to do. There comes a time where we all just need to accept where we are right now.

Reactions: Redshank

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought posting about the program may would cause outrage, and justifiably so - TBH I hope the couple are at the extreme end of T2 behaviour with what surmounts to a sugar addiction, but their attitude I think is probably more the norm - take pills and carry on as you are/head in the sand which must be demoralising for the HCPs involved with their care - however I hope at least one of their HCPs watched the program and was hit by realisation that it doesn't matter how many tablets you throw at them their diet is KEY.

Sorry I upset so many people with my original post! :hilarious:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry I upset so many people with my original post
You were not the target of the outrage or anger it was the content of the program, thank you for bringing it to our attention. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I thought posting about the program may would cause outrage, and justifiably so - TBH I hope the couple are at the extreme end of T2 behaviour with what surmounts to a sugar addiction, but their attitude I think is probably more the norm - take pills and carry on as you are/head in the sand which must be demoralising for the HCPs involved with their care - however I hope at least one of their HCPs watched the program and was hit by realisation that it doesn't matter how many tablets you throw at them their diet is KEY.

Sorry I upset so many people with my original post! :hilarious:

Hi Slip, if you didn't post it, we wouldn't of known about it and it was a massive eyeopener for me :wideyed:

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just watching it now and feeling rather sad that I've developed type 2 in my 30's and I've never eaten as badly as the couple on this show. The amount of sugar they were eating, plus not knowing what courgette is or having prepared broccoli and the only fresh food in their trolley was grapes! I don't mean to sound judgemental but it feels so unfair. Hope they get given some half decent advice soon.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These comments are making me laugh out loud. I saw it too and I just thought that they were a 'typical' couple from the general population. Their choices at the end of the programme were better than they were at the start which I guess is better than nothing. I think we forget sometimes that us lot on this site are FAR more informed about what constitutes healthy eating for those with glucose impairment and we are not the norm by any stretch of the imagination. It's a stark reminder that there is a LONG way to go before those who should know better actually do.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just watching it now and feeling rather sad that I've developed type 2 in my 30's and I've never eaten as badly as the couple on this show. The amount of sugar they were eating, plus not knowing what courgette is or having prepared broccoli and the only fresh food in their trolley was grapes! I don't mean to sound judgemental but it feels so unfair. Hope they get given some half decent advice soon.

Developing type 2 as you put it is not as simple as that, it is not down to one singular thing such as 'eating badly'. Think of all of those who are just like this couple or worse who never go on to get type 2. It's pointless comparing yourself with someone 'worse' than you, they are not the same, they don't have your dna for one thing.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
M

Member496333

...us lot on this site are FAR more informed about what constitutes healthy eating...

Absolutely. That's kind of the point. No one (hopefully) is judging the couple as individuals. I think it's more just despair and frustration at their disastrous dietary habits, especially given that they already have diabetes. By all accounts the dietician wasn't up to much either. I didn't get that far, though, so couldn't comment.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
At least it distracted me from the dreaded B leave or stay debate for a few hours!:arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The utter tragedy of this is that they were being told what to eat by a professional - a qualified and respected professional - who was giving 'good' 'healthy' 'sensible' advice according to the typical thinking that is so widespread in our culture, our health service and our media.

How many people watching that have been influenced into 'better' high carb options and will confidently believe they are improving their health? And how many of those will be worsening their T2 or accelerating the onset of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome?

M

Member496333

The utter tragedy of this is that they were being told what to eat by a professional - a qualified and respected professional - who was giving 'good' 'healthy' 'sensible' advice according to the typical thinking that is so widespread in our culture, our health service and our media.

How many people watching that have been influenced into 'better' high carb options and will confidently believe they are improving their health? And how many of those will be worsening their T2 or accelerating the onset of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome?

And how many MORE people now believe that all type 2 diabetics are sugar-swilling layabouts that could have avoided diabetes if only they’d stuck to a healthy balanced diet just like wot they do? :mad: