1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Eating far too much

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by DomPirate, Mar 4, 2019.

1. DomPirate

DomPirate Type 2 · Active Member

Usually I am well controlled - well reasonably controlled, with an almost cast iron acceptance to eat right foods, cake but a good memory, not overeating, most MmoL 4.5 to 9.5
    December I got ill, losing weight hand over fist, 8kg (10% of my body weight), possibly Bronchiectasis.
    Finally started to improve mid February, though my diet remained good throughout (didn’t partake much in Christmas feasting), now that I’m out and about, back to walking several miles a day, I have started devouring all in sight.
    Of course has a nasty effect on MmoL, 21 last night, though I can see the logic, stop and it’ll go down.
    Aaaaaagh!

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Were you not eating much when you were ill? Sounds like it with an 8 kg weight loss so not surprising you get a bit of a regain when you get back to normal. What are you eating is of course key.. sounds like not enough fat for satiety hence the hunger? Just a thought..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Dom, that is a very high level especially for a type 2 with nothing to bring it down? I would go straight to the Drs myself, I know there is something very similar to DKA that you can get if your levels are sky high. What were they this morning? Even if the explanation is eating everything in sight, surely a reading of 21 is cause for concern? x

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eating too much of what? What you are eating is of far more significance than how much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DomPirate

At KK123
    13.3 this morning, 18.something this evg.
    Hmm, yes, concern.

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. DomPirate

Carbs, bread, with a bit of sweet puddings thrown in.

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Here's the go, stop eating the food items you have listed, and you will notice a significant drop in bgl...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

maybe start of with a bucket full of fried chicken - just chicken - maybe with coleslaw - but peel the chicken.
    Cook a lot of meat, maybe find a whole lot of low carb veges and make a vege soup, or if you have a box of mince fry it with a bit of onion and add that - make up a whole lot of low carb but bulky food and if you are hungry eat - first you'll get full and with any luck the hunger will subside.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alyssa

Alyssa · Member

You can try turkey and dietary and helpful

10. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

yes eat some more meat and some cheese all kinds deviled eggs with lots of mayo and maybe high protein dairy without added sugar.. it you can find that where you live.. if you eat really a lot of proteins in the mornings people tent to eat less calories for the rest of the day.
    and try to avoid bread and sweets and cakes..

but you do use your insulin as well.. so it is a bit weird .. please see your GP too

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook