Eating Fruits for Diabetic type 1

abcd99

My son is diabetic type 1 since last 3 months and does not want to eat any fruit....not even strawberries, not even bite of any fruit that I read are allowed. I want to know fruits are allowed or not allowed in diabetes .He just eats breakfast with eggs, lunch and dinner with chicken with one cup brown rice. and some nuts for in- between snacks. He is eating same food. makes no change . Why is he doing all this.........can someone explain to me as I am not getting my answers from my son.

D

Deleted Account

Fruit is most definitely allowed with type 1 diabetes provided insulin is taken to match the carbs in the fruit.
Many people on this forum follow a low carb diet. This is mostly people with type 2 but some people with type 1 also find this helpful.
I have type 1, I do not follow a low carb diet, I eat fruit daily and have good control.

Your son's dislike of fruit may not have anything to do with diabetes ... unless he is trying to avoid too many injections as much of the diet you describe is low carb.

Reactions: abcd99

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fruit isn’t necessary in a humans diet, it’s nice to eat but despite what the advice on healthy eating is, not important at all. It sounds like your son is doing some sort of training on that diet, does he use a gym regularly or play sport?

He may be eating the same food every day to discover how his body reacts to different foods in the early days of his diagnosis and is keen on gaining tight control.

abcd99

Fruit is most definitely allowed with type 1 diabetes provided insulin is taken to match the carbs in the fruit.
Many people on this forum follow a low carb diet. This is mostly people with type 2 but some people with type 1 also find this helpful.
I have type 1, I do not follow a low carb diet, I eat fruit daily and have good control.

Your son's dislike of fruit may not have anything to do with diabetes ... unless he is trying to avoid too many injections as much of the diet you describe is low carb.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I think he wants to avoid extra injections.......thanks.

Last edited:

abcd99

Fruit isn’t necessary in a humans diet, it’s nice to eat but despite what the advice on healthy eating is, not important at all. It sounds like your son is doing some sort of training on that diet, does he use a gym regularly or play sport?

He may be eating the same food every day to discover how his body reacts to different foods in the early days of his diagnosis and is keen on gaining tight control.
Thank you so much for your reply dear wiflib. Yes my son is doing gym and sports..I think you are right, he must be following some kind of training and also eating same food trying to understand his body. I just get worried because he does not talk much to his parents, and we parents are so keen to help him . All we want is that he should be happy and manage this new life that suddenly came on him. Hope all will be well of all children.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Three months is hardly anytime at all so hopefully he will open up a bit more when he needs some support as the life of a diabetic involves good days and bad days...

How old is he.....?

I was diagnosed at 15 and my parents didn't have any involvement in the day to day running of the condition.....I am just wondering if they felt the same as you.....:wideyed:

Probably not though as they has brought up my diabetic brother since he was 2...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I eat fruit, because I like it. My favourites are raspberries, but I can eat a small pear, satsuma, a few grapes, a plum and kiwi, blueberries too.There is no reason why he can't eat some fruits, but he does sound as though he is experimenting or he is now a little scared about what foods to eat, but everything in moderation. All the best, RRB

abcd99

Three months is hardly anytime at all so hopefully he will open up a bit more when he needs some support as the life of a diabetic involves good days and bad days...

How old is he.....?

I was diagnosed at 15 and my parents didn't have any involvement in the day to day running of the condition.....I am just wondering if they felt the same as you.....:wideyed:

Probably not though as they has brought up my diabetic brother since he was 2...
From age of 15........feel so sad........also brother diabetic..........I am sure your parents are shattered to the core, but not showing it to you. Parents are double happy when children are happy and parents are 10 times sad when children are in problem. To understand how parents feel, you have to be a parent.......I hope one day God will have mercy and all children will be healthy and only healthy. you take care. Love all of you.

abcd99

How old is he.....?

Hello Novorapidboi26, thank you for your reply. my son is 26 year old. I feel sorry to hear that you are in this mess since you were 15. I am sure by now you have become strong enough to face these unwanted challenges. I would like to ask you about the bad days that you have mentioned. Tell me please about some difficulties that usually diabetic type1 people have to face in life. I want to remain prepaid..........do please share. Thanks again.

How old is he.....?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Novorapidboi26, thank you for your reply. my son is 26 year old. I feel sorry to hear that you are in this mess since you were 15. I am sure by now you have become strong enough to face these unwanted challenges. I would like to ask you about the bad days that you have mentioned. Tell me please about some difficulties that usually diabetic type1 people have to face in life. I want to remain prepaid..........do please share. Thanks again.
I think my post maybe came across wrong....

It was my choice to take on the diabetes myself......I felt myself at least I was practically a man at 15.....my parents were supportive....but they didn't make dose decisions....I was on a mixed insulin from 1999 until 2008 though so dose decisions didn't involve much technical ability......

Bad days I suppose can be described as when despite all your efforts the blood sugars just don't behave......and usually there is not much that can be done about it.....

As your son is 26 it's unlikely I would imagine
you will have a leading role in his condition but it's certainly just as heartbreaking as a parent....

abcd99

I tend to avoid fruit as it makes my sugar levels spike rapidly.
oh thank you so much.........now I know why my son is also avoiding fruits. I just pray for all and let God show a day when every child here will be free to eat as many fruits as they wants. It is so painful to think about all the problems that children/people on this earth are facing.....lets have hope.........hope gives strength. Have a nice day.

abcd99

I think my post maybe came across wrong....

It was my choice to take on the diabetes myself......I felt myself at least I was practically a man at 15.....my parents were supportive....but they didn't make dose decisions....I was on a mixed insulin from 1999 until 2008 though so dose decisions didn't involve much technical ability......

Bad days I suppose can be described as when despite all your efforts the blood sugars just don't behave......and usually there is not much that can be done about it.....

As your son is 26 it's unlikely I would imagine
you will have a leading role in his condition but it's certainly just as heartbreaking as a parent....
Thank you so much. have a great day.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is diabetic type 1 since last 3 months and does not want to eat any fruit....not even strawberries, not even bite of any fruit that I read are allowed. I want to know fruits are allowed or not allowed in diabetes .He just eats breakfast with eggs, lunch and dinner with chicken with one cup brown rice. and some nuts for in- between snacks. He is eating same food. makes no change . Why is he doing all this.........can someone explain to me as I am not getting my answers from my son.
I understand that apples,oranges, medium banana are all 10 grams of carbs. I think 10 grapes count as 10 too.

D

Deleted Account

I understand that apples,oranges, medium banana are all 10 grams of carbs. I think 10 grapes count as 10 too.
The amount of carbs in everything depend on the size and the density (the carbs are measured as a percentage of the weight and a fast growing apple will be less dense than a slow growing one).
From weighing my morning fruit, I have found apples are oranges are usually around 13g carbs but a medium banana is closer to 20g carbs (a banana has 23g carbs per 100g and a medium banana weighs close to 100g without the skin).

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Nope, all a lot more than 10g carbs, and full of fructose, which is another type of sugar. This will cause rapid rise in blood sugar in some people. You really need to test at 1 and 2 hours after eating to see how they affect your blood glucose. It may be that it isn't affected much, but it may also cause a large rise, we are all individuals.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, as others have said it won't hurt him not to eat fruit. Does he think the same way about low carb veg?

abcd99

Hi there, as others have said it won't hurt him not to eat fruit. Does he think the same way about low carb veg?
I don't know KK123, because he does not share with us anything....this has been his nature always..........but before we did not mind his behaviour, but now after he is diabatic , we are so much worried and he does not want to tell us anything, he feels like it is his problem and he will manage it.How to tell him that , it is parents problem too.....a very painful and emotional problem.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
oh thank you so much.........now I know why my son is also avoiding fruits. I just pray for all and let God show a day when every child here will be free to eat as many fruits as they wants. It is so painful to think about all the problems that children/people on this earth are facing.....lets have hope.........hope gives strength. Have a nice day.
Bless you, I think your son may have already worked out and noticed what some fruits have done to his levels before so avoids them. Taking extra insulin just to eat fruit is a no brainer, I used to love my fruit and based my breakfast around it with yogurt until I found out about dr Bernstein’s low carb lifestyle. Since then I’ve not eaten one piece of fruit. Get all my goodness from vegetables, nuts, seeds and salad stuff like lettuce, cucumber, green bell peppers, spring opinions and rocket. No vitamin or mineral deficiency either, in fact all the eggs I now eat haven’t effected my cholesterol and have my b12 levels right up there. Never felt better either.