Eating Out

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

So I’ve been on the low carb diet for almost 2 weeks and have lost over half a stone which is great. With the metmorfin 1 tablet morning and evening to start with my blood sugar levels have dramatically come down and actually had a 5.1 before bed last night.

Now the tricky bit, I have been working at home since diagnosis so eating correct has been easy but I am at a customer tomorrow so heading off this afternoon and will stop over night in a hotel. I will have to go out for a meal tonight and I’m a bit worried about choices. Obviously beer is off the table but what about a glass of wine? If so red or white. I’m hoping for a grilled fish or a steak/chicken with salad, but I’m really getting fed up with salads but don’t want to risk ruining my work. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1spuds

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @pau1200 Well done on getting your levels down :)

Do you know which hotel you're staying at, if so look at their website and check out the menu before you get there. Also perhaps call them and advise them you are on a low carb diet and what would they recommend ? Fresh fish, chicken or steak, veges (above the ground, not root veges). I find red wine much kinder to the glucose levels, white wine is like drinking sugar, but red holds my levels steady.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If so red or white.
Not sure it matters but make sure its a dry one..

As for meal green veg instead of salad? Depends entirely upon restaurant.
Indian - chicken tikka main with a non carb veg like spinach
Chinese - crispy duck without the sauce or pancakes
Steak
Fish

Remember that just because its on your plate doesn't mean you have to eat it.. or ask for it not to be included.
I rarely have a problem finding something to eat even following carnivore but OH gets the extras if he wants them.

Reactions: IronLioness

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say avoid obvious carbs and unknown sauces and you will be good.I see lots of folks drinking red wine here without issues.And congrats on the great job you are doing!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you know where you are eating out, have a look at their online menu or phone to discuss your requirements. Some gotchas are sauces, these can have flour, steak might be prepped with vegetable oil (found this out at a Miller and Carter, so they did me a special). If you do get salad, ask for no dressing unless it is 100% uncut olive oil. If your having ribs, ask for this without the sauce Be up front that you are Type 2, they should not then see your intricate requirements as a drag. I try to ensure that I choose swaps that are of a similar monetary value (on their menu). I have always been satisfied eating out, apart from once in Ilford shopping centre, it took me 20 minutes to find a grill on the main high road, as everywhere was carb central.

Reactions: 1spuds

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found you can often swap potatoes for another veg on a meal with cooked veg. Swap chips for coleslaw with a burger and don't have a bun. Sometimes 2 starters as a main meal works well.

Reactions: 1spuds and Dmcc0

kusadasi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

So I’ve been on the low carb diet for almost 2 weeks and have lost over half a stone which is great. With the metmorfin 1 tablet morning and evening to start with my blood sugar levels have dramatically come down and actually had a 5.1 before bed last night.

Now the tricky bit, I have been working at home since diagnosis so eating correct has been easy but I am at a customer tomorrow so heading off this afternoon and will stop over night in a hotel. I will have to go out for a meal tonight and I’m a bit worried about choices. Obviously beer is off the table but what about a glass of wine? If so red or white. I’m hoping for a grilled fish or a steak/chicken with salad, but I’m really getting fed up with salads but don’t want to risk ruining my work. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

kusadasi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, I go for a couple of wine and grill fish with broccoli or tuna salad and in both add some good mustard.
enjoy your meal

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out for a meal at our usual restaurant last week-end. They didn't have my favourite, sea bass, didn't fancy a steak so I called the waiter over and asked which meals didn't have sugar added. He asked me why I didn't want sugar so I told him that I was T2 and he told me he was T1. He went to get the book and was looking through the nutritional information saying 'no you can't have that or that'. He found one meal, chicken wrapped in parma ham with mushroom sauce which was 2.2g of carbs and he bought me a dish of broccoli because he said I couldn't have the carrots or peas. I do hope he is still there next time we go for a meal.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tandoori?
I don't know about menu options outside India. But starters like tandoori, achari, Malai chicken and Paneer are my go to. Most of the indian currys have hidden flours so I would refrain from it.