Egg protein powder

Glyko

I wonder if anyone has information on whether protein powder made from eggwhites is ok for diabetics (type 2)?

I guess it must be better than milk based protein powders? Because it's just eggs?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Glyko, most products tell you the calorific content (including fats, proteins, carbs) so I would have a look at that, but eggs are carb free so I would hope that the protein powder is too. (Probably depends on what else they have added.)

I guess the other way to tell is to test your blood sugar, have some, and see if it makes it rise?

Good luck.

M

Member496333

Assuming you’re not vegetarian or vegan then I think pure bovine collagen is probably a sound choice. Works wonders for joints, skin, nail and hair health.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just had a quick look at a couple of brands, and some are more carby than others: around 10g carbs per 100g- that sort of thing. I suppose if you are using it for body building or bulking up, you will probably work off that amount of carbs. It would be quite a lot for me though: I'd just stick to the natural eggs.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Glyko

Thanks for the responses.

I found several eggwhite protein powder with almost no carbs. And this study suggests

Metabolic response to cottage cheese or egg white protein, with or without glucose, in type II diabetic subjects

M C Gannon et al. Metabolism. 1992 Oct.

the insulin response to eggwhite protein powder is lesser than cottage cheese.

So when I need extra protein, I'll stick to collagen and eggwhite protein powder.