Egg sandwiches

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Having just been diagnosed with IGT, I was wondering if it would be safe for me to eat white bread once or twice a week. I usually eat wholemeal bread [which I've read is almost as unhealthy!] , but I'm rather partial to Tescos egg sarnies which are made with white bread. Sorry if this seems a silly question, but I'm new to all of this and I just want to make sure I'm not putting my health at risk by eating all the inappropriate foods.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Hi. Having just been diagnosed with IGT, I was wondering if it would be safe for me to eat white bread once or twice a week. I usually eat wholemeal bread [which I've read is almost as unhealthy!] , but I'm rather partial to Tescos egg sarnies which are made with white bread. Sorry if this seems a silly question, but I'm new to all of this and I just want to make sure I'm not putting my health at risk by eating all the inappropriate foods.o_O
Don't think it would hurt just once or twice a week if you really love them

collectingrocks

If IGT means gluten intolerance, then perhaps bread is your enemy. What symptoms do you get? But I'm all for "everything in moderation" so once or twice a week...why not?

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If IGT means gluten intolerance, then perhaps bread is your enemy. What symptoms do you get? But I'm all for "everything in moderation" so once or twice a week...why not?
It's Impaired Glucose Tolerance I suffer from, collectingrocks.:(

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Easy way get a meter test pre and 2 hrs post should help decide either way.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
umm a blood glucose test prick finger put spot of blood on test strip in meter and read.
A way around it is ask a chemist to do a finger prick test on you then eat your sadwiches and 2 hrs later after eating ask them to retest you.

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
umm a blood glucose test prick finger put spot of blood on test strip in meter and read.
A way around it is ask a chemist to do a finger prick test on you then eat your sadwiches and 2 hrs later after eating ask them to retest you.
Oh right! I know this will sound wimpy. but I've an aversion to needles!! I could use an anaesthetic cream I suppose.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I would advise sd codefree via ebay as strips are £7 . You don't even see the needle. You put a pen like thing against your finger and push a button. Am also squeamish but it's not too bad - honest! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would advise sd codefree via ebay as strips are £7 . You don't even see the needle. You put a pen like thing against your finger and push a button. Am also squeamish but it's not too bad - honest! Good luck!
Thank you, I'll check them out!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you, I'll check them out!
Meters from chemists cost 15 upwards and strips are £25 ish. Your doc should give you them on prescription but probably won't beat free pp and usually there in 1-2 days.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have a freedom freestyle lite from abbot healthcare. lt was free direct from them and at the moment my strips are supplied by dr but direct from abbots healthcare it is l believe £15/pot

l looked at sd but writeups put me off. Alsol have been warned lots of amazon medical stuff comes from china and no quality control.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh right! I know this will sound wimpy. but I've an aversion to needles!! I could use an anaesthetic cream I suppose.
the easiest way to cut a lot of carbs and get your insulin resistance better is that you stay away from grain, especially if you have an aversion to needles and you may not need to cure the aversion:)
if you want to scare yourself read 'wheat belly' http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/ [warning, they are a bit conspiracy nuts]

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the easiest way to cut a lot of carbs and get your insulin resistance better is that you stay away from grain, especially if you have an aversion to needles and you may not need to cure the aversion:)
if you want to scare yourself read 'wheat belly' http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/ [warning, they are a bit conspiracy nuts]
Thanks. I'll check it out when I'm feeling less down. Right now I'm in a high state of anxiety with all of this as I'm really struggling to find the right things to eat. Being a veggy makes it even worse as I used to eat cheese sandwiches with wholemeal bread for the fibre and protein. Also I suffer from ibs pain as well as generalized anxiety disorder and so this whole thing is a nightmare for me. Crazy as it may sound, I'm already dwelling on things like amputation and blindness!! I guess I'll just have to discuss my worries with my gp before I go insane.
This site is very helpful though I must say.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry, a poor choice of phrase, wheat belly is a lose weight, diet site.

the odds are you will never be a diabetic, even if you do nothing there is a 66% chance you won't get diabetes
Impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes)
Impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance are sometimes referred to as ‘pre-diabetes’. They occurs when your blood glucose level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes. One third of people who have impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose will develop diabetes unless lifestyle changes are made.

a IGT is a long way off even being a mild diabetic, let alone one who has gone years with uncontrolled bad diabetes and getting complications
If you do decide to go LC for 6 months, you won't have any trouble going vegetarian low carb, there is lots about it on the net
Stocking the low carb veterinarian kitchen

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/4408/stocking-the-low-carb-vegetarian-kitchen

Last edited by a moderator:

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry, a poor choice of phrase, wheat belly is a lose weight, diet site.

the odds are you will never be a diabetic, even if you do nothing there is a 66% chance you won't get diabetes
Impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes)
Impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance are sometimes referred to as ‘pre-diabetes’. They occurs when your blood glucose level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes. One third of people who have impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose will develop diabetes unless lifestyle changes are made.

a IGT is a long way off even being a mild diabetic, let alone one who has gone years with uncontrolled bad diabetes and getting complications
If you do decide to go LC for 6 months, you won't have any trouble going vegetarian low carb, there is lots about it on the net
Stocking the low carb veterinarian kitchen

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/4408/stocking-the-low-carb-vegetarian-kitchen
Thanks. You've helped to reassure me a little bit at least. I am inclined to be neurotic about these things and I know it's far better to keep a positive attitude.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
l have a freedom freestyle lite from abbot healthcare. lt was free direct from them and at the moment my strips are supplied by dr but direct from abbots healthcare it is l believe £15/pot

l looked at sd but writeups put me off. Alsol have been warned lots of amazon medical stuff comes from china and no quality control.
I got my sd code free meter from ebay. It is exceptionally easy to use and I've had no probs with it. Can only go as you find!

Reactions: 7 people