Eggs

samantha13

Possibly a very silly question but how often is it healthy to eat eggs??

Since trying lchf iv found boiled eggs my go to snack of choice but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that more than 3eggs a week is bad for your cholesterol.

Or I may have dreamt it lol

Any ideas?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Im surprised no one else has answered, but if you have a search I believe this topic has been discussed before.

Personally I don't limit the number of eggs I eat, I can often get through a tray (30) in about 2 weeks. I have quiche with no crust, scrambled, I use them in cakes, and if they have been there a while I'll boil them up to snack on. Im having my yearly tests in april so will be able to see what effect my low carbing has had on my cholestrol.

susanmanley

We eat a lot of eggs [well 2/3 a day each with baking] but have never been told it was bad either by my heart man or here.
My husband has high-ish cholestral but stopping eggs didn't seem to make any difference [in fact went up a bit]. His problem is the 'addiction' to bread and cheese!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Samantha.

The good thing with eggs is they are so versatile and can be
used in a wide range of cooking techniques/recipes with them . :)

Anna.

blackcat79

My dieticain said yesturday that one a day but not 7 days running touch protein not gd for kidneys plus for chol levels etc. Not sure how true it is but she also told me not to do v low cabs that i should at least have 130g a day which i cant at mo but adding new pills to the other 2 so it should help reduce BS mmmm well we will see! Lol
X

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Unlimited eggs, they are the perfect food.
And no - eating cholesterol doesn't mean you produce more. The body produces its own cholesterol.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Eggsactly !

Sorry I couldn't eggist without them !

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get through about half a dozen to a dozen per week.

Blackcat, I don't want to digress too much from the thread (perhaps start a separate one?), but follow what ever diet means that your sugar levels aren't high as that will cause far more damage than a reduced carb diet.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eggs contain cholesterol but don't raise cholesterol. Also, how is an egg a day too much protein? Sometimes I wonder if health professionals just make stuff up on the spot when asked a question!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thundercat said:
Sometimes I wonder if health professionals just make stuff up on the spot when asked a question!

Oh tish tush, don't be silly you don't have to wonder, of course they do.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

vicky_l

I use to eat eggs all the time for breakfast but then got told to cut back because of cholesterol trouble is no idea as cant eat cereals bread etc due to intolernance what else to eat for breakfast now about to try smoothies (homemade but am concerned about all the fruit sugar in one hit)

personally I think nhs health care professional dont have a clue most the time

eat and enjoy :)

thats what I am inclined to say

Vicky_l

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
samantha13 said:
Since trying lchf iv found boiled eggs my go to snack of choice but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that more than 3eggs a week is bad for your cholesterol.

If you are worried about cholesterol, you could try what my wife referred to as 'friendly eggs'. They are eggs produced by hens which are fed on diets high in Omega 3 feeds. They are supposed to help with the cholesterol thing.

But, I promise you, you will have more fun by experimenting and discovering new 'snacks of choice'. Having half a dozen such snacks, something that just hits the spot, is well worth the effort. For me I include a sesame wholegrain crispbread with salmon fish paste, a wholegrain and bran cheese scone/bun, pumpernickel with very thinly sliced cheddar with thin slices of pickled onion, a rollmop herring or a large glass of cold cheap supermarket zero calorie lemonade but with the addition of the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon. Salt and pepper king prawns, or spare ribs, are great too if you don't mind cooking. The secret there is to marinade in the salt and pepper for a couple of hours and fry using an oil spray. Don't coat with corn starch and deep fry. They still taste good and you don't miss the crunchy coating if the salt and pepper hit is strong enough. I intend to try the same but with chilli.

Pauperess

I have been advised by different health professionals that there is no link between raised dietary cholesterol and raised serum (blood) cholesterol levels. Eggs are a good and filling food that satisfy the appetite for longer (marginally) than the equivalent weight of carbs. Same applies to other proteins. A good way to stop you falling of the low carb wagon, and no ill effects.