Embracing Cacao Nibs on Our Keto Journey - Seeking Your Insights!

garyjob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this message finds you all in good health and high spirits. Today, I come with a heartfelt request on behalf of a dear relative who has diabetes and is embracing the keto lifestyle. ‍♂️✨

As we navigate this journey together, we've recently discovered the wonders of cacao nibs, and we're eager to learn more from all of you wonderful experts!

If any of you have experience with cacao nibs in a keto diet, I'd be immensely grateful to hear your insights. How have you incorporated these little delights into your meals or snacks? Have you noticed any positive effects or tips for making the most of them?

Your wisdom and experiences can make a real difference in my relative's life, and I truly appreciate every response!

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope this message finds you all in good health and high spirits. Today, I come with a heartfelt request on behalf of a dear relative who has diabetes and is embracing the keto lifestyle. ‍♂️✨

As we navigate this journey together, we've recently discovered the wonders of cacao nibs, and we're eager to learn more from all of you wonderful experts!

If any of you have experience with cacao nibs in a keto diet, I'd be immensely grateful to hear your insights. How have you incorporated these little delights into your meals or snacks? Have you noticed any positive effects or tips for making the most of them?

Your wisdom and experiences can make a real difference in my relative's life, and I truly appreciate every response!
I grind them into a protein shake.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
They look potentially a bit carby for some T2s? 26g per 100g? Though am guessing in small doses they are fine and probably very yummy....

Caz141

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked these up on buywholefoodsonline.co.uk as not heard of them before. They look pretty good on nutritions or am i missing something?
IMG_3437.png

They would go great in almond flour mug cakes.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just looked these up on buywholefoodsonline.co.uk as not heard of them before. They look pretty good on nutritions or am i missing something?View attachment 62430
They would go great in almond flour mug cakes.
That's really interesting, the site I looked at had them as 24g per 100g and yours is 6g....

That's a big differenece.

Caz141

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really interesting, the site I looked at had them as 24g per 100g and yours is 6g....

That's a big differenece.

It is a huge difference thats why i thought i was missing something. Could it have something to do with the 80% or more on the chocolate rating. I did take a look at another site to compare, this one came up at 11g per hundred. Very mixed on info out there again.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm getting between 24g and 28g on the various New Zealand .co.nz sites that I've searched. They shouldn't include the fibre, but of course they might if they've just copied the info from a US site.
Tagging in @AloeSvea to see if she has a better idea on how accurate the NZ sites are ...

Reactions: Antje77

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is confusing. NATURYA make organic cacao nibs show 15g carbohydrates per 100g weight.

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
They are meant to give a chocolate taste. It is actually a waste product. The husky bits after roasting. Fibrous but tastey. Stop working in Hundred grams. They are sprinkled on or in food pretty negligible amounts for our needs. I grind about a teaspoon full to put in a protein shake. 3g-5g max. They can be tough to chew. It is not the main Chocolate, nor is sugar added. A natural product.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea and EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, they don't taste good as far as I am concerned. The packet I have in my cupboard is past 'best before' date because I don't like the taste. (But I don't like chocolate either.) I bought them because they are rich in potassium and iron.
Thanks for the information. :)
I won't bother and just stick to some high % chocolate then.

Mini Dachs Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in Australia and mine are Picari brand and 5g of carbs. I don’t love them that much so hardly use them.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wondering what's the difference between cacao nibs and cocoa butter? Cocoa butter for net carbs is zero according to Cronometer. I've got some arriving tomorrow for an attempt to make dark chocolate.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some chocolate nibs from Amazon to put a few in my keto biscuits (cookies), are they a similar thing? Anyway I then discovered they were sweetened with xylitol o_O No wonder my BG shot up. I’m ok with erythritol but xylitol is definitely off the menu

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The brand I use has per 5g, 2g carb, 2g fibre , 0g sugar. I find them very tasty sprinkled on a low carb choc ganache covered chocolate donut . But I love chocolate!

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The brand I use has per 5g, 2g carb, 2g fibre , 0g sugar. I find them very tasty sprinkled on a low carb choc ganache covered chocolate donut . But I love chocolate!
Can you name the brand please as I need them in my life :p

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm getting between 24g and 28g on the various New Zealand .co.nz sites that I've searched. They shouldn't include the fibre, but of course they might if they've just copied the info from a US site.
Tagging in @AloeSvea to see if she has a better idea on how accurate the NZ sites are ...

Hi @EllieM. I wouldn't have a clue on this one I'm sorry.

I do know that I thought cacao nibs were a wonderful fun food in the LCHF world, but then years later I threw out my expired dispenser out of my pantry. No better reason than a couple of brands of stevia sweetened chocolate pieces (yeah - sweeter!).