1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Employers routinely discriminate

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Imperial, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Imperial

Imperial Type 1 · Active Member

I have Type 1 Diabetes.

Employers are inherently discriminatory in the UK. As soon as they find out you have T1 diabetes they will not employ you.

Of course they cannot out and out say that is the reason because they would get sued but it is obvious.

I have applied for so many jobs and got to the very final stage only to be told I have been unsuccessful.

2. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What sort of work are you applying for Imperial? Some kinds of work are trickier for tose with diabetics, and some (often for safety reasons) unsuitable for those with T1.

3. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Imperial - sorry to hear you're not having much success. Yeh I'd believe you when you say that even from work places that claim they don't discriminate do. I know from my past experience on selection panels for recruiting that the questions are asked about amount of leave taken and if there is any mention of a medical issue there is discussion about whether or not they can even handle the job. That shouldn't happen I know, but it does. For example I recall we had about 3 people tell us they couldn't sit down due to back issues so we took preference for people who could sit down. But then of course it would depend on the role you're applying for. Some roles they can't afford to put anyone in them that may be considered high risk for either fault or accidents.

I'm living with multiple conditions so I know my chances of finding other work will be very hard as I can't even do a job interview these days as I struggle with my talking and I burp a lot. I know it shouldn't happen, but I am fully aware that I'd be discriminated against even though I shouldn't be. It happens in my own life anyhow... I get the stares, laughs, and comments... nothing I can do to stop that.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to seek help from an employment agency or something like that? They may have some helpful advice or ideas on employers to try. I'm not sure what resources you have available where you are.

I wish you the best. :)

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I have Type 1 and have managed to get jobs, although it's not easy in the current climate.

When do you disclose your diabetes? If I'm asked, I obviously disclose it, but otherwise I don't mention it until I get the job and am filling in the health forms they then send.

Often application forms have a question like "Do you have a disability that will affect your ability to do this job?" I answer No because it doesn't.

If I get a job and haven't had to fill in any health forms so haven't had a chance to put my diabetes there, I speak to my manager and colleagues and tell them early on but only so they're aware of it, not because I'm saying it's going to be a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I've not found this to be the case @Imperial and have had many jobs since my diagnosis, nearly all have been cooperative when it comes to time off for appointments and such.

I think if you explain to them that your diabetes won't effect your ability to do the work it helps somewhat.

6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I have to agree with the others @Imperial. In my life I've done manual labour, office based and site based jobs and have never been turned down for a job as a result of Diabetes, or suffered discrimination when in a job as a result of it.

7. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've never put on an application form I'm diabetic, employers are too picky!

8. petepontiac

petepontiac Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We have to complete a occupational health questionnaire every year and to be fair the company I work for has been great

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook