Employment????

SWood10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
being so restricted
Is there a perfect job for a type 1 diabetic?

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 7 years and thought i had the perfect office job with no stress and very little phsyical activity. Unforunatetly i was made redunant and jumped at the change for a career change.

For the last 12months I have worked as a care assistant in a residential home which is pshyically and mentally demanding and as a result the impact has generated implications with the control of my diabetes.

I currently work 35hrs a week ona variety of 8-3 and 3-10 shifts over a 6 week period. I have enquired as to whether there is a possibilty to change to a more stable shift pattern peferably 8-3's only. My manager has played down the importance of my well being and has mentioned on more than one occasion that if i moved to a permenat shift pattern then it would not be fair on my collegues.

My arguement or seek for advise is this. Can you be disgrimnated because of no fault of your own you have a life long affecting condition. Is it to much to ask to have a job you enjoy and are appreciated for rather than only being accepted to sit at a supermarket till.

My current predicament is that my husband is being very disgruntled that if my sugars are not brought under control that we wont able to have a family we so much want :(

Please can anybody offer any advice???

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Legislation covers you as a disabled person on account of your diabetes. Under the Equality Act 2010 an employer has a duty to make reasonable changes for disabled employees. These are know as 'reasonable adjustments'. Adjustments should be made to avoid you being put at a disadvantage compared to non-disabled people. A reasonable adjustment might very well be to allow you a stable work pattern to enable you to control your blood sugars. If you are in a trade union you should be able to get help from it.

You might find this helpful: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... imination/

Shout if you have further questions.

Regards

Doug