Encouraging News for Fellow Sufferers

Unbeliever

I am aware that some of my posts may seem very negative - but that reflects my current sit, uation
with regard to the HCP concerned wih my diabetes control

This has not always been so I was once fortunate enough to have a helpful and concerned GP, {sigh}

I have never had anything but the highes respect and praise for the consultant/surgeon ad his team dealing wih my retinopathy/ macular oedema , etc at the hospital.

I have been to the hospital today and am delighted to be able to say that after four years of treatment , including help wih my diabetes control {initiated by the eye clinic} there is at last some progress.! The leaksge of the blood vessels in my left eye has almost cleared and a scan showed as almost normal. Many different treatments and combinations have been tried. I had given up really , although I appreciated all that was being done but ,even if only temporarily , it has stopped deteriorating. This gives me some hope for the other eye too , There is a great deal of scarring to the retina because laser treatment was initially done without a "drying !injection but the right eye doesn't have this problem and may be less sensitive and sore after further treatment.

I think I am one of the longest -serving "customers" so this is very good news for me.
I am posting this in the hope that it encourages anyone else going through this trauma.
Even the surgeon became very frustrated earlier in the year when nothing apppeared to be working,
I have been attending the hospital, roughly every four weeks this year and the side effects sometimes continued from one visit to the next. Several times I have considered giving up.
I am ,of course, happy with this improvement but well aware that it might not be permanent.
Still ,it is very encouraging and a boost to my efforts to maintain good bg control.

I intend to do his despite the efforts of my Diabetes Nurse to make my life more difficult

:lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What encouraging news, Unbeliever! Good for you! Have you noticed any difference in your sight, or will that take more time?

Your eye team sound excellent, but I think you should congratulate yourself for such good control - despite the DSN! :lol:

Well done.

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news Unbeliever! :thumbup:

The work that the ophthalmology teams do in preventing and treating eye conditions cannot be praised enough, hope this good process continues for you in 2012! :)

Unbeliever

noblehead said:
Great news Unbeliever! :thumbup:

The work that the ophthalmology teams do in preventing and treating eye conditions cannot be praised enough, hope this good process continues for you in 2012! :)

Thank you so much , I know you had some experience of eye problems in the past.
I think both myself and the surgeon were close to deapair as everything seemed to make matters worse.
I think they are gradually learning to cope with T2s as fewer were diagnosed in the past at an early stage. Now here are many more reatments in the pipeline. I am hoping hat steroid implants will become available in the future.

WhitbyJet

Unbeliever, I am so pleased to hear that you have some good news at last. Also thanks for posting your story, its most encouraging, my eye seems to have settled now and I have been lucky in that the bleed didnt affect the retina.
But its good to know that there is more and more help available, new treatments and techniques.

All the best to you x x

Unbeliever

WhitbyJet said:
Unbeliever, I am so pleased to hear that you have some good news at last. Also thanks for posting your story, its most encouraging, my eye seems to have settled now and I have been lucky in that the bleed didnt affect the retina.
But its good to know that there is more and more help available, new treatments and techniques.

All the best to you x x
Thanks Whitby jet, I was hinking of you buut waiting for you to say how you were geting on.
These hings are very emotional sometimes.
Many friends and some of my family cannot even bear o hear me speak abou my eyes for good or bad so it is a great relief to post here

It was to intense laser when there was oo uch fluid in my eye which affeced my reina so badly.
This won't occur in my hospital again but a make it my misssion o try to spread he word about this.

So glad your eyes have setled now, It must have been a horrible shock., I hope you have regained your confidence now, I see you are continuing your sterling work with the recipes.!
When is hat book coming out?xx