EndoBarrier - Gastrointestinal Liner

gillgiraud

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
exercise
Hi All

Has anyone heard of EndoBarrier Gastrointestinal Liner? Can you get this done on the NHS? Has anyone had a liner fitted? I don't want to go down the route of having a bi-pass - is this a better altnerative?

Thoughts welcome

Gill

Tracey69

HI and welcome
Sorry but i haven't heard of this but i will try and find some information for you.
Hopefully some one will come along in the mean time.
Talk soon
Tracey

Tracey69

HI
Just googled your question.
Apparently the Endobarrier gastrointestinal liner fits inside the intestine, the barrier changes the way your body responds to food, it helps you to lose weight and lower your bg, Apparently it helps to give your body a jump start you towards a better control over your health. It says about type2 diabetics. There is alot of info on it, but they recommend you talk to your doctors or consultant first. Sorry if you already had this info.
Take care
Tracey

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was part of the London group for this on the trial that ended recently. From speaking with others involved I hear the results over the 6 and 12 month period have been much more disappointing than the published results from previous trials. For myself, the only weight I lost was in the two week period when you were only allowed a liquid diet, and it made zero change to my diabetes. A couple of people lost weight, but they seem to have stuck to the 1500 calories day diet that the company recommends (well, they would lose weight wouldn't they?).

I had a fair amount of intestinal distress. I was on a very high dose of omeprazole - higher than the company that produces it Omaprozol recommend I believe - and I was still scarfing back ranitidine and antacids. Still in pretty much permanent discomfort even with all that, enough to keep me awake at night. I had to finish the trail early at 6 months.

Although it had nothing whatsoever to do with the product I nearly died under the general anesthetic. The heavier you are, the higher the risk of that.

The published results look good, and going by those maybe someone else could be in the lucky group, for me it was all a bit of a nightmare.

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That said, if you want an indicator of how you might do with a bypass this could be a good indicator before you commit yourself to something irrevocable.

Elc1112

Gill,

You're best speaking to your doctor. They are the only person that can tell you what your options are and whether you'd qualify for this treatment. Personally (and this is just my opinion) I am dead against any treatments like this unless there are real ad genuine circumstances that mean you can't exercise or lose weight through keeping to a low calorie diet. The heavier you are the higher the risk of complications during anaesthetic and so on.

Talk to your doctor and see what he says. He might be able to recommend something a little less radical.

Em

rickyb40

Ian

I was very interested in your post. I am due to have an Endobarrier fitted in 2 weeks time but am increasingly uncertain and anxious about going ahead. Information is more limited than I would like and I would be very keen to hear more about your experience, whose care you were under and why you think the Endobarrier didn't work for you and caused you so much discomfort. How quickly were you able to have it removed once you asked for that to be done and have you suffered any after effects? Do you know others who had better experiences and is there any means that you know of for me to discuss the experience of others who underwent the trail, e.g. some kind of forum?

Sorry, I know there are quite a few questions there and it may be easier for us to speak if you were willing to do that. If so, I would be most grateful and will arrange to give you my number or take yours. Thanks very much.

ianerc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bear in mind all these answers are personal or anecdotal.

1. I was under St Mary's in Paddington, and the staff there were very responsive.
2. Why didn't it work for me? Who knows? I have a couple of pints of beer most days, which I keep within my calorie allowance, but they speculated that something may be happening there.
3. Why did it cause discomfort? I can give a few possible reasons. I think if you are prone to hyperactive inflammatory process, as diabetics tend to be, I'd guess that you are more likely to have problems - when they put the implant in they found some gut inflammation there already for me.
Part of the protocol includes very high dosages of Omeprazole. Clearly they know that very high acid production is likely. Additionally, Omeprazole itself has some noticeable side-effects and the protocol states 80mg a day, which is the highest allowable maximum dosage. That caused me problems, but they were insistent I stayed with the dosage. I suspect acid damage is a risk.
4. They took the implant out within days of my decision, and were supportive of that decision. After effects? Well, I nearly died from the anesthetic of course :) Otherwise the gastric symptoms stopped immediately and I've not had any more gastric trouble than normal.
5. No forum I know of. I suspect the company would not encourage that. For some people it worked, not everyone had my level of distress. Most made it to the full year rather than 6 months. And some did have big weight loss (although the risk of putting it back on stays the same as always). So all I can say is, your mileage may vary.
I'd say if you are looking at surgery this would be good route to go first. It would let you know if you are a responder, may do the trick itself and will give you an idea of what living with the surgery permanently would be like,.

JillC

Hi I have been trying unsucessfully to see if there are any trials going for this. I have called 2 private clinics in the UK and its about £8000. Even if brought on the NHS it is unlikely that i would qualify as the Welsh NHS have no funding for such surgery - Still free NHS car parks make my life so worthwhile (sarcasm)
If anyone knows of any new trials please help

Clarkej

less than a minute ago
Hi ..I had the endo barrier in December 2011
And taken out December 2012
I lost 4 stone and still losing ..I also took fresh lemon juice in water each day to counteract the acid problem
I had no ill effects it made me eat less and still the same to this day ..I did research on it and decided it was the better option for ..my medication has been reduced by 3/4's and am looking to be off medication soon ..my HCB levels have been normal since the week I had it fitted ..and to me it was a godsend ....I highly recommend it but accept all bodies are different to the way they react to anything ..but for me ..brilliant