Energy drink?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I loved it, only gave it up because its hard on the knees (descent is much harder than ascent), i only do low impact sports now.

Martina79

Nomisth- yes , thats what i wanted to write:) i do my research about this illness and its like full time education. internet is full of rubish and 'what doctor the opinion'. i never trough it is so much difficult to maintain good diet to loose weight yet keep glucose level steady. it seems also that this illness afect everybody different way and different things work for different people, and besides book knowledge its important to get experience and find out how body react.

of course energy drinks are dangerous and its not just about glucose.

Kerry-Michelle

I was once told that drinking 'energy' drinks such as red bull and others are really bad for your heart.. Apparently they cause heart attacks.. I don't know if this is true or not but I've always stayed clear of them even before I was diagnosed with diabetes.. If I need anything while exercising I have water to drink and glucose tablets incase.. Never needed them but they are there just incase..

As I said above I don't know if this is true or not.. But I would say that the heart problems could be caused by drinking such drinks too often? Who knows..

Kerry xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

I don't drink Red Bull nor do I advocate its huge popularity as an alcoholic mixer but it IS fitting for an energy drink to sponsor extreme sportsmen and air shows. High-octane activity. They sponsor some really promising, talented young people and often produce some moving short films in the process. If extreme sports encourage people to do dangerous thins then I guess we should ban them outright. TBH I thought watching their wingsuits and a person from a lonely Scottish town like Danny McAskill cycling from Edinburg to Skye was beautiful.

Their marketing is in now way a conspiracy. Any person with sense knows what energy drinks are an what they are full of.

Now what is a covert operation is the deceptive mess surrounding how healthy whole grain cereals and bread are or the ton of sugar Heinz put in ALL their products. I swear it's like they are trying to make people diabetic. Most people don't drink energy drinks (aside from Monster, which is wrongly targeted at inactive schoolchildren/teens) but practically everyone eats bread and cereal day in, day out.

My dad was told he needed to eat more fiber to watch his cholesterol, so he goes out and starts eating tons of 73g carbs per 100g cereal believing its healthy, That's worse than Lucozade (for me, anyway)

But yes, unless you are having a hypo you DO NOT NEED it.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LittleWolf said:
Their marketing is in now way a conspiracy. Any person with sense knows what energy drinks are an what they are full of.

No, it's not a conspiracy. Anyone who jumps off buildings knows the dangers. I just don't think a 'go on, be a dare devil' is wise. Not because it's Red Bull but because I have seen how a 'I challenge you to be as good as me' gets young impressionable people killed, drowned in sump dives in caves and bodies smashed because it was thought wimpish to belay correctly on rock climbs. It's bad enough in places like mountaineering or caving clubs, some of which seem to wear their death rates as a badge of honour but taking it to levels of corporate entertainment seems somewhat distasteful to me. The usual platitudes follow, regretable, our hearts go out, lessons will be learned but the overwhelming sentiment is, is this publicity helping?

Wholegrains are healthy by the way. What is unhealthy are the trade description laws in the UK. These laws allow a loaf to be sold as wholegrain even if it contains as little as 6% wholegrain flour and omit to tell the public about many of the other ingredients used.

LittleWolf

I respect you and know you know your stuff, Yorksman! You probably have the most sense of anyone on this forum.

But on this one I'll have to agree to disagree. The human body is capable of amazing things and I feel happy for those who have climbed mountains, who can do aerobatics in a plane or have flown across canyons in a hang glider or wingsuit. They're obviously trained professionals and there is risk involved in what they do, but we can't not ever televise someone doing stunts on their BMX or mountaineering for fear of someone copying them. What about science programs? What about clip shows? I think Red Bull is inspirational in that we can see the amazing things that humans are capable of, living their dreams. Obviously we shouldn't all run outside and try to copy what they do but there are avenues for safe and supervised training for people who any to do acrobatics/extreme sports.

We can't exactly ban snowboarding, skateboarding, rock climbing, flatland BMX, trialbiking etc because young people are impressionable. Gymnastics is also *exceedingly* dangerous. You-could-break-your-neck-trying-that- dangerous. I know because I did it- but should we not sponsor or televise gymnastics because it is dangerous?

I know people die every day doing these sports and there is a reason for the 'don't try this at home' message.

I think promoting an active lifestyle with risk of injury is better than promoting a sedentary lifestyle with... Well you all know the connotations associated with that these days. I'm still obviously not active enough at 49 kg and BG in teens...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
You probably have the most sense of anyone on this forum.

Huh? what about me?....oh no wait...you mean brains right?....nevermind

:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kerry-Michelle said:
I was once told that drinking 'energy' drinks such as red bull and others are really bad for your heart.. Apparently they cause heart attacks.. I don't know if this is true or not but I've always stayed clear of them even before I was diagnosed with diabetes.

They contain shocking amounts of caffeine which can lead to heart failure, they increase bp by a considerable amount apparently. My eldest started drinking these when he went to the gym, I went ape with him and told him about the risks and he stopped buying them, they sell these drinks really cheap in the likes of Aldi which doesn't help!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LittleWolf said:
We can't exactly ban snowboarding, skateboarding, rock climbing, flatland BMX, trialbiking etc because young people are impressionable. Gymnastics is also *exceedingly* dangerous. You-could-break-your-neck-trying-that- dangerous. I know because I did it- but should we not sponsor or televise gymnastics because it is dangerous?

I know people die every day doing these sports and there is a reason for the 'don't try this at home' message.

I think promoting an active lifestyle with risk of injury is better than promoting a sedentary lifestyle with... Well you all know the connotations associated with that these days. I'm still obviously not active enough at 49 kg and BG in teens...

I more or less agree with that. This summer I rediscovered my love of the Alps around the Wolfgangsee. People were cycling in the valleys, mountain biking in the hills, canoeing on the lakes and I was happy just to be able to use a couple of trekking sticks and make my way along the mountain paths. I know I won't ski or climb again but I will try the biking and canoeing bit.

St. Wolfgang is on the lake next to the Fuschlersee. Fuschl is where Red Bull have their HQ and St. Wolfgang is where Red Bull run the Airchallenge at the prestigious Scalaria hotel. It is a fun event. It was on whilst I was there, but it is a business networking event. It's rich people and companies like Mercedes being entertained by dare devils.

http://www.airchallenge.com/video/scala ... o-x-teatro

http://www.airchallenge.com/video/scala ... r-seaplane

It's completely different from the sort of active lifestyle that you refer to. This is on the Scafberg, just behind St Wolfgang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pSRgnP5OzE

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They contain shocking amounts of caffeine which can lead to heart failure
One can of red bill has 80mg of caffeine whilst a cup of coffee contains 95mg... Are you sure you are worrying about the right thing? Note that coffee is even cheaper than energy drinks.