English Breakfast?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey there, I'm just trying to figure out if an English breakfast is a good one for type 2. If you take out the hash browns and just have a tiny portion of baked beans, everything else is low carb, high fat, right? Especially if you use high meat content sausages (mine are 97% pork).

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Reactions: Snapsy and AM1874

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @NatJS and welcome to this very supportive forum. Yes you are right. I tend to miss out the baked beans altogether. But bacon, the sausages you describe, eggs, mushrooms are great. I like black pudding but check the label first for carb content. I don't eat bread.

Reactions: Snapsy and NatJS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs, bacon and your sausages are fine.. I would avoid the beans as too many carbs by far.
Mushrooms maybe even a grilled tomato would be better.

Knighthawk22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ahaha !!!
I have sausage, bacon, eggs, grilled tomatoes, a few beans and half a Lidl roll toasted as a weekend treat with the family it works fine for me but if you like black pudding you may fined it will push your bs levels up, well it does with me but I love the stuff so it's my Sunday morning treat. Best to experiment and test your levels if you have a meter 2 hours afterwards as certain foods effect people differently i.e. Porridge sends my sugar through the roof.

Reactions: Prem51 and NatJS

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how or when hash browns became a staple of a full English but that's another matter entirely! ;)

I'm generally having bacon and egg most days, sometimes with mushrooms or tomatoes, or both. No bread, which I have to admit I miss, but I'd never eat baked beans for breakfast so definitely don't miss them.

For an alternative to my bacon and eggs I might have a ham, mushroom and cheese omelette. Now that really fills me up for hours.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hey there, I'm just trying to figure out if an English breakfast is a good one for type 2. If you take out the hash browns and just have a tiny portion of baked beans, everything else is low carb, high fat, right? Especially if you use high meat content sausages (mine are 97% pork).

Or is this just wishful thinking?
Hi @NatJS .. no it's not wishful thinking. I had a breakfast in a Wetherspoons on Saturday and ordered the: bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato and mushrooms .. junked the hash browns, beans and toast .. and the guy who served me gave me an extra sausage to make up for the missed items. It was delish, reasonably priced .. and carb friendly

Reactions: mo53 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my English breakfasts, except I have mine at lunch time rather than breakfast. 3 rashers of grilled bacon, 1 grilled Black Farmer sausage, 1 grilled tomato, masses of mushrooms fried in butter, and a fried egg. I also have half a toasted Lidl roll with butter. I have also recently re-introduced baked beans after eliminating them 3 years ago due to large spikes. One tablespoonful with the other food has made no difference to my post meal readings. The same with or without the beans. I call that a win!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The only thing you need to consider when eating a fried breakfast every day is the calories.

2 fried eggs.......................160
2 back bacon slices...........140
2 sausages.........................600
Total..................................900 calories and thats just 2 eggs, 2 rashers and 2 sausages.

So if you are trying to lose weight you may be better off looking elsewhere for breakfast ideas, half a grapefruit or full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelenHak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing you need to consider when eating a fried breakfast every day is the calories.

2 fried eggs.......................160
2 back bacon slices...........140
2 sausages.........................600
Total..................................900 calories and thats just 2 eggs, 2 rashers and 2 sausages.

So if you are trying to lose weight you may be better off looking elsewhere for breakfast ideas, half a grapefruit or yoghurt with a few berries.

Blimey Sid, what sausages are you eating? They must be massive.

The ones I get (Tescos Finest and Hecks 97% meat) are about 135 calories each (grilled).

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, no, no Sid. 1 egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 3 mushrooms, 1 tomato. It's very filling.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's a hash brown when it is at home? Ah - I might not really want to know - now I think about it.
When I was at a hotel for a few days I had huge breakfasts - three sorts of eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms - the black pudding was always dried up and looked horrible so I never tried it, I just heaped up anything low carb and watched jaws drop - I was well aware of being the most curvaceous woman in the room.
Just about every other person was having coffee and toast or cereal as well as some of the proper breakfast foods, and they were all showing middle age spread.
I then went through to dinner - without the carbs please, as I wasn't hungry - and I didn't have time for lunch anyway. I have no idea about the calories involved - once I realised that they weren't important to me I just stopped counting.
I could not lose weight on 800 calories but could on 2000 - well then there is something wrong with the concept of a calorie controlled diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hash browns are an American invention. I think.

Basically grated potato, squished together into a vaguely triangular lump and then pan fried til they have brownish outsides. Of all the things that are possible to do with a potato, they are amongst my least favourite. Most sold commercially are made, sprayed with veg oil, frozen, sold, and then oven baked. o_O

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure how or when hash browns became a staple of a full English but that's another matter entirely! ;)
I feel the same about baked beans! Not a breakfast item, in my opinion!

We very often have a massive fry-up for brunch after parkrun - bacon, chipolatas, mushrooms, fresh grilled tomatoes, black pudding, fried eggs - keeps us going for hours.

In fact because we had other plans Saturday just gone, we missed out on brunch so are having exactly that for tea this evening, before the chipolatas get too long in the tooth. And not a hash brown or a bean in sight (although I think I might do beans for Mr S - I'll have a massive side-order of buttery kale. Scrum).

Writing this has made me really hungry - and it's only 4 o'clock!

:)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Blimey Sid, what sausages are you eating? They must be massive.

The ones I get (Tescos Finest and Hecks 97% meat) are about 135 calories each (grilled).

Yes your right I googled it and took the figure for 100g not 1 sausage should have been 309 cals for 2 x Lincolnshire sausages.

My bad :)

Reactions: Brunneria

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Tip for sausages - look for gluten free.

That means they are not likely to be 60% pork and 40% cheap padding.