1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Graphic Content Epic bleeding from Cannula site anyone had this?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Nometype1andproud, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This evening the dog sat on my knee as per usual, got up and walked to another room and my son shouted there was blood on the floor, looked down and saw blood on my jumper. On closer inspection blood had soaked through my underwear and leggings! Dog must have knocked it out slightly but no pain or anything. Has this bleeding ever happened to anyone?

Attached Files:

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. MarkP

MarkP · Member

Hi,

Yes, once in a while (like maybe once a year) when I take out the canula blood will pour out. Never any pain and no adverse consequences. I assume just a bit too deep or nicking a bigger blood vessel.

Bit of toilet paper compressed on it for a few min is the end of it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Yep! I've taken out an Omnipod a few times and blood starts pouring out, enough to soak my underwear and run down my leg. No pain and pressure on it with some tissue for a few minutes and it stops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

The dog has accidentally caught my tubing many times. I think the worst one was when I had already extra taped the cannula down. The tape held, and the needle was dragged partly sideways until it was out, about an inch long incision. It took most of a tea towel to mop that up, but believe me, I felt it happening.

Sometimes I get bleeding on taking the cannula out, but I clot really quickly, so it's never near that much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep over 8 years I've had maybe 2 or 3 of these.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, this happened to me last week, first time in 7years of pumping. I hit a small capillary artery or blood vessel taking out the set. The blood was squirting out horizontally. It took a few minutes applying pressure to stop it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

First year pumping and this has not happened to me (yet!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I've had it a few times in 9 years pumping, and have been left with a large bruise! I think it's unavoidable occasionally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone certainly had no after effects I’ll not worry if it happens again

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I peel an infusion set off, I like to be near paper towels just-in-case.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nicola M

Nicola M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had this happen once, new set in and blood was coming up the line. Pulled it out and it gushed so much blood, Thankfully had a paper towel handy! Sometimes it can happen, you hit the wrong spot and that can be it, nothing to worry about really.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. faustus67

faustus67 Type 1 · Newbie

Been on a pump 32 years now (whoah!). It happens a couple times a year - sometimes I can tell it will happen, when the insertion site hurts a certain way. Sometimes I think it influences insulin absorption as well, as my bs’s can run a bit higher than normal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MicheleJC

MicheleJC Type 1 · Member

Yes it's happened to me a few times lately, mainly i think because after so many years pumping I have trouble finding a good site. Being on blood thinners makes it hard to stop the blood flow and huge wads of tissue.

• Hug Hug x 2
  14. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s amazing sometimes when these little tiny holes explode like blood volcanos. It’s a concern especially when wearing white! When we peel off an infusion set sticker into important to have something close by that can be grabbed quickly to absorb the mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. megan

megan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had this once. It just kept bleeding and bleeding!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook