Equality act/employment

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I always declare it. Working in schools with children, it's important the school knows I have insulin, because of the needles and stuff. Also, when I've had to do something at lunch like break up a fight, the school understands that I need to eat so I might need to eat in the classroom or get someone to cover me for 5 minutes to eat.

Every school I've ever worked at has been super supportive, and I've never been discriminated against because of my diabetes. What's a bigger issue for me is my aspergers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I tell you what, as a manager, if someone was honest enough to tell me I'd favour that over just ability. There are many qualities we possess in life, honesty, loyalty, trustworthiness, graft, and managing yourself are but a few along with punctuality and taking responsibilty. If you're diabetic you have to take responsibilty be honest, manage yourself, be honest. If you can't be honest enough to tell me, how could I manage you and give you the necessary support you need? Every wednesday I have blood tests due to blood clotting issues that will blight me all my life. Work are great and know if I'm in late, I'll work late, plus I travel the length and breadth of the country to fulfill my obligations. If I just turned up at ten and not said I have diabetes and coagulation problems, my boss would question my commitment and if I said, "oh, by the way, I have diabetes", he'd probably be stunned at my clandestine manoevers and think (a) I'm a liar, (b) I'm secretive, (c) can I be trusted with sensitive information, if I can't be ar$ed to be honest about myself, (d) if he'd have told me, we could amend his working conditions and flex his hours and I'd be aware if he suddenly takes ill.
I have a good work relationship. I tell him if my bg is not right and get it right and stay late and the onus is on him, but he knows I'm committed and can be relied on. There, bring out your shovels and pitchforks. I do have a disbility and am upfront and honest about it. I'm not ashamed and am not afraid to be labelled as such. I didn't f**king ask for it. If I lie to myself and say I'm a regular person who doesn't need medication, someone call a doctor and see if I can get a brain transplant, so I don't ignore my condition/illness/poor performing pancreas/disability. If you can live normally without meds, you're ok and I doff my cap to you.

I hope this finds you all in fine fettle, if not, hang in there and don't be afraid to speak up, we're here to help.

Mart (T1 and completely unashamed)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Ps: these are my own personal views as a human being and values I look for in people I associate with. Personality is immeasurable, you take to someone or nor (sometimes), I take as I find and dislike deceit.

Just to clarify.

Mart.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I add no however have always told my employers I have it as it can really impact on my work if I don't control it well and I find it helps people understand why I need to have lunch breaks and consider my working diary

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
))Denise(( said:
Where I work they have a scheme where if you say you have a disability on the application form and you meet the essential criteria, you are guaranteed an interview.

It is the positive about disability two ticks scheme http://www.stammeringlaw.org.uk/employment/twoticks.htm
Exactly, a lot of major employers take a similar attitude. Lots of people assume diabetes will be looked upon negatively by employers. This is not always the case as you correctly point out.

michaelbrown5

I am a type1 diabetic and work for the nhs i have diabetic related issues that make my current post fifficut. I have been given 12 weeks notice to be redeployed or they will dismiss me on health grounds they are not trying hard to redeploy and have akready stuck 2 fingers upto the disability act and they knew i was rype 1 when they employed me 10 years ago

rowellswales

I would definitely declare it. If an employer discriminates on the basis of diabetes (or anything) why would anyone want to work for that employer. Good employers would not discriminate so say yes

Bexs3663

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just got myself a new job and had the same question on my application form , I said no to considering myself disabled but in the part about me I told them that I'm a well controlled type 1 diabetic (which I'am ) I applied for 3 jobs got 2 interviews :) like most of the posts on here I really think honesty is the best policy. Good luck :)

Candybabe

I have never declared that I have Diabetes on an application form. Diabetes may be a disability for some people, but not for others. I guess it is a personal choice. However, I know from personal experience that people can be discriminated against when selection for interview is taking place and would never know if they hadn't been selected that it might be due to having Diabetes. The other aspect of this, is that some companies will automatically interview those with a declared disability. I want to know that I have achieved an interview upon my own merits and not because I have declared a disability. Just for the record, I have always declared my Diabetes once an interview is over, or when I have commenced a post.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's not a matter whether to declare it or not on an application form. Clearly, if the application form doesn't ask, don't put it down. If however, you are specifically asked if you have a disability as defined by The Equality Act, you should declare it. If not, you have falsified your application form. Diabetes is listed as a condition under The Act. As to whether or not you get interviewed for whatever reason, who cares ! Nobody will employ you just because you have diabetes so it will be your merits that will ultimately land you the job or not.
Mo