Essential watch for Type 2's worried about cholesterol Ivor Cummings at the BACPR yesterday

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I viewed the vid last night, I think it was Biggles who posted it. It was good, though I found the sound quality a bit iffy. Near the end he mentions TOFIs which is the first time I've heard mention of them, frustratingly he says little except that TOFIs share the same risks as non TOFIs. I suspect that there are many, many undiagnosed TOFIs out there.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops sorry if it had already been posted but I think it is a highly important piece of work that needs publicity..

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bulbiker

Ivor has pretty much written the presentation for me in terms of the documentary I want to make about Lowering Insulin as a prime means to regain health - and why the Low Insulin diet I am following involves one highly nutritious meal per day - ie Fasting - in circumstances where it is long term repeatable because I am getting enough nutrients to live on.

Hyperinsulinamia simply means too much insulin in the blood - i.e. in non laymen terms - high circulating insulin - that in turn results in high fasting insulin, just like high post prandial glucose eventually becomes high fasting glucose .

I've read pretty much the same stuff he has to arrive at my diet and my blog and we both ended up with that same diet - esp the Omega 6 oils which I don't think is quite as well known as the low carb part.

The only areas where we differ at all, is that he focused on CAC scores as a marker for physically testing CVD risk, whereas my theory is that because continually triggering insulin in response to diet results in high fasting insulin, and because getting that fasting insulin down is a 2-3 year process, then as far a I see it getting fasting insulin tested is a more beneficial test, because that is covering more than CVD risk , it is a lot cheaper to do and can simply be done as part of standard blood tests by GP's for patients at risk as opposed to entailing a special visit to a hospital .

Subject to that caveat about practicality and cost of the CAC I think this utterly nails the problem.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting,just got my latest test results one year after beginning Lowcarb med fat diet,and have been very concerned re cholesterol levels,will pass this on to my family all in various ways trying to eat for health.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very enlightening. Particularly love the couple of glasses of wine 'control'.
I would suggest it is essential viewing for almost anybody but a little knowledge of, for example, cholesterol, blood glucose, liver / pancreatic function would help people really understand where he's coming from.
What is amazing is that most people (me included till I was diagnosed T2) are almost clueless about looking after our health and that the 2/3 carb, low fat diet is still preached as the way to go.

Reactions: Glenmac