Ethical dilemma at work...help.

Insulin_John

Hi

I work for the 'local Government' (in my region of England) which involves dealing with highly personal information about members of the public (not customer facing), and recently heard a female colleague (usually fairly mouthy for showy effect) who handles incoming complaints/concerns from the public, sarcastically shouting off extremely personal details about the victim for ' a laugh' across the open plan office.

I happened, coincidentally, to know the victim of the very serious crimes which she- and some others- were joking about loudly. I kept quiet but found it sick.

I discreetly rang the top manager of our company in Sheffield (out of town that day) soon after for a private chat, he took it v.seriously, took some details about the case and person involved and said he would act upon it that afternoon.
He must have kept his word, because she was quiet all afternoon after a 'chat' with a delegated manager.

But, as I know this person (but as I would feel about anyone's case), and the truly harrowing details of her background, I want to know if I can take it further in order to protect this person, or even take action against the woman (or anyone else) involved.
Is there a law broken here, can I ask that this person's claim be 'protected' as it used to be- so that the jailed criminal/s will not find info out about the victim?

I'm really p****d off about all this, and have no-one to talk to...

Katharine

I think that the manager who has disciplined this woman has done the right thing.

You are rightly very angry with this woman's behaviour. If you were to try to take this further however I think it would be inevitable that the victim would need to know about it and then her distress would be even higher. Perhaps the most helpful thing to do overall is to say nothing to the victim and take no further action yourself. If the woman blabs unprofessionally in any way again, you need to take the names of any other witnesses and report the matter to the manager again.

I would imagine that if she does anything of the sort again she will be dismissed. You just have to be vigilant.

By pursing this option:

The victim is not revictimised by learning about this.
The woman gets the chance to learn her lesson regarding professional confidentiality.
You keep yourself right.
If the woman does break the rules again further action will be taken but it is being taken appropriately.

Insulin_John

Thanks Katherine

I did think about approaching the top manager again to see what action was taken? Maybe mention that I know the serious implications about Data protection and court cases?

Ultimately, I want to stay anonymous...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's always difficult, if "you hand a problem on to the correct authority". You have handed it on and however curious you are, you have no automatic right to know what has been said. Confideniality applies there too.
this is an appropriate place for one of my mother's OLD Czech sayings. In translation " If you stir manure( a polite translation), it will smell more."
Remember Richard de Vere's mother in "to the Manor born"? the accent was all wrong, but the character rang true

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
I'm sorry, but I think you've done the correct thing, and that's where your part in the whole incident ends. It's maddening, I know. If your post is the sort that would involve supervision sessions where it's appropriate to talk about the emotional side of things, then maybe you could discuss it in general terms in supervision, but otherwise continuing to do the right thing means keeping quiet. It'll probably gnaw at you for a while, but it'll soon fade.

Steve

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Best to leave it all alone. I work in a governmet department too and how some people act. We all have a good laugh at the stories customers come up with (on phone) but ridiculing them is not on. You did the right things though. Hopefully this woman has learnt a lesson. If not, and she does it again, then report her again. Be careful though as she does have a right to know who has reported her. Then it could rebound back on to you. :wink:

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Hi John - if your colleague mentioned the name of this person to anybody in the office, and went on to "mouth off" about her complaint then i'm afraid she has indeed broken the law - IMHO she should be suspended immediately pending a full investigation and should ultimately lose her job. It may seem harsh, but under the Data Protection Act this SHOULD NEVER happen to anyone. At the very least, it's Innapropriate Behaviour and, by reporting it to your manager, you have indeed done the right thing and should NOT Feel guilty in any way shape or form.

Lets hope she may have learned her lesson - further infringements need to be reported immediately

Jimbo