Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In fairness that was the same for both sides of the referendum debate @zand

There was a lady in the Question Time EU Debate audience last week who asked why she couldn't find a honest, impartial answers to the pro's & con's of staying or leaving the EU, I have to say I quite agreed with her.
That's my point! That's why I said we shouldn't have been given the vote! And as I have said earlier if you don't know, then you don't vote or you should vote for the status quo, not change for change sake. Like I said, I am very upset by the idiots targeting minorities and I'm out of this thread now.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No farms near me unfortunately. Generally buy milk from local Co-Op, which is from British farms though.

That's the issue.
You're paying the supermarket price, and the farmer is still not seeing your money.
It's no use commenting they are underpaid, if you don't support them.
But when there is no competition, and they supply the only milk in the UK, it will be interesting to see if they support you back.
Who knows, maybe the Milk Marketing Board will make a comeback,

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We made our decisions already by voting the MPs in to represent us!

Edit: If anyone was unsure of which way to vote, then remain (ie keeping the status quo) was the right choice.

Edit 2: I don't know about you, but I don't like being called vermin (the Poles in the news) so I'm leaving this thread now. Things have got far too serious for me to be chatting about this online.

I disagree, my local area is strongly conservative and has been for years. There was absolutely no way of my vote counting.
No I don't like being called vermin any more than I like being called racist, stupid and ignorant.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I can just feel the heat from this thread - very passionate arguments but no real concessions from either side and the debate will go on and on for a while. We will exit the EU two years after Chapter 50 is enacted. No Government of any political persuasion would ever dream of defying a referendum result. I was on the losing side of the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum and just had to swallow the result with dignity. If the result had been YES to Independence and the Westminster Government had overturned it there no doubt would have been rioting and major social unrest in Scotland. :)

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the issue.
You're paying the supermarket price, and the farmer is still not seeing your money.
It's no use commenting they are underpaid, if you don't support them.
But when there is no competition, and they supply the only milk in the UK, it will be interesting to see if they support you back.
Who knows, maybe the Milk Marketing Board will make a comeback,

It almost sounds as though you would you be happier if I said I bought French! How can I support local farms if there aren't any? All I can do is make sure I am buying British. It is surely better to buy British than French even if it is via supermarkets. :rolleyes:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It almost sounds as though you would you be happier if I said I bought French! How can I support local farms if there aren't any? All I can do is make sure I am buying British. It is surely better to buy British than French even if it is via supermarkets. :rolleyes:

I'm merely pointing out you're paying the same price as you would to buy french milk.
I'm wondering if it will stay the same if we decide to stop importing, on the principle 'they need to sell, we don't need to buy, we're be self sufficient' that you said?
As I said, I'm wondering who needs who the more?
But it's not a problem, as you will also be happy to pay more to UK farmers, I was wondering if all the other 'outs' would be as well.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling very sick now having read reports of hate notes being pushed through the doors of Polish residents. How can anyone treat a hard working community like that?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...oles/ar-AAhDMxA?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignoutmd
It should come as no surprise surely that a tiny minority of fascists are using the 'Leave' vote victory to assume that the majority of the rest of the country also support their racist views and actions. They now think that their actions are vindicated because in their eyes this is what everyone else also wants. I know this isn't the case but this is how the far right will now be thinking.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When the teenagers have stopped throwing their toys out of the pram, they will calm down. How many times when you were a teenager did you think your parents / grandparents / elders were idiots, know nothing, out of touch? Years on, with maturity and experience behind you, you realise they were not so foolish. I think it is insulting to suggest the older generation shouldn't vote.

Sadly, it's not just the teenagers. It's the rather large numbers of others too. And of course on a subject like this one, however you dress it up, the gamble you have just made is huge and the consequences unknown. That's not an indication of wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm merely pointing out you're paying the same price as you would to buy french milk.
I'm wondering if it will stay the same if we decide to stop importing, on the principle 'they need to sell, we don't need to buy, we're be self sufficient' that you said?
As I said, I'm wondering who needs who the more?
But it's not a problem, as you will also be happy to pay more to UK farmers, I was wondering if all the other 'outs' would be as well.
Yes but at least if you buy British then some money will go to British farmers.
I am optimistically hoping that trade will still take place with EU. I don't believe the UK wants to stop trading and therefore will not have the aforementioned principle.
Most people I know and certainly my household, would be happy to pay more for British milk if the farmers received the money.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree, my local area is strongly conservative and has been for years. There was absolutely no way of my vote counting.
No I don't like being called vermin any more than I like being called racist, stupid and ignorant.

You mentioned "Coop" earlier. I used to work for em.
The day of the last "royal wedding" I was covering a shift at my local store. (A colleague wanted the day off to celebrate.)
One woman of a certain age came in about mid morning? for a few last minute supplies...
As I checked her goods through the scanner, she enquired if I was watching the wedding. "Alas", I exclaimed. "Unfortunately n...."

I was cut short by her barracking "maybe you prefer Saddam Hussein running this country??!!"
I was gobsmacked, but kept smiling..

Still.. She was glad we were open for her tea cakes & milk.. :rolleyes:o_O

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The day of the last "royal wedding" I was covering a shift at my local store. (A colleague wanted the day off to celebrate.)
One woman of a certain age came in about mid morning? for a few last minute supplies...
As I checked her goods through the scanner, she enquired if I was watching the wedding. "Alas", I exclaimed. "Unfortunately n...."

I was cut short by her barracking "maybe you prefer Saddam Hussein running this country??!!"

Oh my days, there is no denying there are some truly mad people out there! :confused:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)

Crikey brings back memories I worked for the coop as a teenager in the holidays and got a full time job a few years later

I loved working for the coop a lot less stressful than the NHS

Reactions: 4 people

Lynbarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I would feel a lot better if we had had some clear concise outlining of what was going to happen next to give some indication that the Leave camp were in control And knew what was coming next......Instead they have acted like someone who has blagen their way through an interview process been offered the job they never thought they would get and have finally realised "oh **** I actually have to do this now".

I am a committed European, have lived. and worked in many differant European countries and to be honest am really really sad.

To be honest both my Husband and I will be talking to the company to ask for a transfer ASAP as neither of us want to live in little Britain but for all of you who voted for this Outcome and are happy with it I wish you all well.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

If you want to believe the European press, then what is happening here in the UK is happening all over Europe and some parts of the World

Lynbarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He'll go for sure at the same time as Cameron, returning to the back benches as we get a right wing cabinet and PM....God help us:(

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Sadly for us the Labour party have also disappeared down a black hole

Lynbarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope the young and talented don't leave too, but I see and hear my children and their friends already talking about it. It seems they don't identify with an England that they suddenly see as jingoistic and inward looking, rather than inclusive and outward looking. They are horrified by Farage, BJ and the far right. I think it's the first time for some of them that they have realised that there are so many in our country who share or sympathise with those views.

No we don't agree with their right wing view it was used as a look we are still out here how about coming and seeing how the real world looks, we voted and now they are paying the price its about time they came out of the Westminster bubble.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Sadly for us the Labour party have also disappeared down a black hole

It does seem the nuclear option of a new general election in November, following the investiture of the new Conservative leader, could see Labour decimated, perhaps returning as a few as 70 seats.

This would establish the frightening prospect of a one party (Conservative) nation for at least a generation. That party without counter balance within parliament would be a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem the nuclear option of a new general election in November, following the investiture of the new Conservative leader, could see Labour decimated, perhaps returning as a few as 70 seats.

This would establish the frightening prospect of a one party (Conservative) nation for at least a generation. That party without counter balance within parliament would be a righting nightmare.

I agree totally. Even though I never have been a Labour supporter Corbyn has to go so the party can re-build. No party can govern effectively without an effective opposition.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This would establish the frightening prospect of a one party (Conservative) nation for at least a generation. That party without counter balance within parliament would be a righting nightmare.

And with no pesky EU to watch over them, no Human Rights, no accountability other than to themselves.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Corbyn is as unelectable as Michael Foot was in the 80's yet to the hard left he is their saviour but IMO I could never vote Labour with him in charge

Scotland is lost to Labour anyway

Lynbarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Well Kevin, it is very early days at the moment but I have been in contact with a couple of brexit labour MP's to basically poke my toe in the water around this issue. I have not as yet had any response (I don't expect to get any for a while) but over on Facebook the idea of a Labour (UK) party does appear to have some support from some of my friends the suggestion is to look at the Labour party of the 1950's and start from there.

I dont know if it will work but if it does you guys will be among the first to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.