Not open for further replies.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My older children, who are old enough to vote, feel very strongly that they have been let down by an older generation who won't have to live with the long term effects of what they have done. I can't help but agree with them.
Regarding the disenfrancisement of the young (16/17year olds), I have heard comments that it would have copst too much to get the data!
This is rubbish! every year we collect the data for 16/17 year olds, so that they can vote on their 18th bithday (had a few last week!), so It would have been easy to record the !5 YO's as well! What was missing was the political will to enfranchise those who will be voters when the exit takes place!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Am I really that grumpy and "the boat rocker" of the DCUK forum lol ? If I am I apologize but I do provide balance and this keeps things interesting and entertaining, it would be a really boring forum if we all agreed. ;):D
"A man should have a son who argues"
If all agree/stay silent, we can never have a debate1

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding the disenfrancisement of the young (16/17year olds), I have heard comments that it would have copst too much to get the data!
This is rubbish! every year we collect the data for 16/17 year olds, so that they can vote on their 18th bithday (had a few last week!), so It would have been easy to record the !5 YO's as well! What was missing was the political will to enfranchise those who will be voters when the exit takes place!
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. If 18 is the legal age, so be it, otherwise where do you draw the line? My 13 yr old said she should have a voice because "you oldies won't be around so long!". (Muttering under my breath "you might not be around very long if you keep being cheeky") :rolleyes:. We had 10 year olds at school actually crying because we are out! o_O

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My 6 year old nephew is devastated and was in tears because he won't get the opportunities his mum had to work and travel in Europe. Yes the kids care. Free movement might be something older generations felt it was fine to give up, but many kids didn't agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. If 18 is the legal age, so be it, otherwise where do you draw the line? My 13 yr old said she should have a voice because "you oldies won't be around so long!". (Muttering under my breath "you might not be around very long if you keep being cheeky") :rolleyes:. We had 10 year olds at school actually crying because we are out! o_O
Cue the" Bruce Hornsby and The Range" song:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The other thing I am seeing come out is the statement "Younger people should have more respect for their elders". Talk about how to wind people up more! Respect is earned, and I fear it is now lost. For a long time to come... Forget voter turnout (for which there are no figures yet, only guesses), I think this is already demonstrating untold damage to UK society.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
All I can say for my reasons for my leave vote is too much German influence over the whole EU especially since the unification of east and west the idea of them running the EU show bothers me

I do not agree with the common agricultural policy which is heavily tilted at France

I do not agree with the fisheries policy which has decimated our own UK industry

We pay into the EU more than we get out and to me in times of austerity that is bonkers

The euro is a disaster

Had the common market we joined stayed as it was I would have voted remain but argued for reform of the CAP and fisheries policies

I do not agree with the concept of a European Parliament

I could not care less about the free movement of people it works both ways but that free movement of people should depend on individuals having a job to go to or be able to be self sufficient and pay taxes if retired and not rely on state handouts whatever country you live in

I think the EU will not want bad relations trade wise with the UK as they sell more to us than we sell to them, I can't see BMW Mercedes Volkswagen, Porsche Audi Fiat Peugeot Renault Volvo Seat Ferrari Alfa Romeo Citroen

Danish Bacon French Dutch Italian cheeses French German Italian Spanish wines
Belgian chocolate Irish beef etc etc they won't dare want their governments to spat with the UK over trade they can't afford to risk losing our custom

I think there has been too much negativity from both sides during this campaign like I said earlier my mind was made up quickly concerned about too much influence Germany has on the EU

And that's not racist to think that way in my book

My late father was 19 when WW2 broke out served in North Africa and Italy and survived whilst 2 of his brothers died he thought that the common market was a good idea when we joined but I remember him saying that Germany should not be allowed to have a great deal of influence he would be horrified today with the total transformation of the common market to the EU we have decided to leave

I'm glad we have left the majority of EU members hate us why put up with that

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly @Cumberland, quite a bit of what you've posted there simply isn't the reality of the EU.

The U.K. Press has a lot to answer for, especially in reference to how much influence we and Germany really have and how much of the EU hates us.

But hey, too late for that now.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can say for my reasons for my leave vote is too much German influence over the whole EU especially since the unification of east and west the idea of them running the EU show bothers me

I do not agree with the common agricultural policy which is heavily tilted at France

I do not agree with the fisheries policy which has decimated our own UK industry

We pay into the EU more than we get out and to me in times of austerity that is bonkers

The euro is a disaster

Had the common market we joined stayed as it was I would have voted remain but argued for reform of the CAP and fisheries policies

I could not care less about the free movement of people it works both ways but that free movement of people should depend on individuals having a job to go to or be able to be self sufficient and pay taxes if retired and not rely on state handouts whatever country you live in

I think the EU will not want bad relations trade wise with the UK as they sell more to us than we sell to them, I can't see BMW Mercedes Volkswagen, Porsche Audi Fiat Peugeot Renault Volvo Seat Ferrari Alfa Romeo Citroen

Belgian chocolate Irish beef etc etc they won't dare want their governments to spat with the UK over trade they can't afford to risk losing our custom

I think there has been too much negativity from both sides during this campaign like I said earlier my mind was made up quickly concerned about too much influence Germany has on the EU

My late father was 19 when WW2 broke out served in North Africa and Italy and survived whilst 2 of his brothers died he thought that the common market was a good idea when we joined but I remember him saying that Germany should not be allowed to have a great deal of influence he would be horrified today with the total transformation of the common market to the EU we have decided to leave

I feel it may be the other way around.

It would be a brave parliament that tells its citizens they can no longer buy,

BMW Mercedes Volkswagen, Porsche Audi Fiat Peugeot Renault Volvo Seat Ferrari Alfa Romeo Citroen

Belgian chocolate Irish beef ,

but with have to settle for
British Leyland
English Bacon
Wensleydale cheese
British wine
Cadbury's Dairy Milk
English beef.

And only in season, and only as much as the UK farmers can produce, to their own captive market, for whatever they can charge.

I would suspect the public may disagree on who needs who more.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm happy with Wensleydale, @SunnyExpat, and eat English bacon and beef exclusively. Not too worried as British wine has got better too. In fact, the only one of those that bothers me is British Leyland, as we have a Mercedes, but I'm sure a jaguar would do!

That's not really the issue with all of these though. I buy this stuff from farmer's markets (well maybe not the jaguar) and the price direct from the farms is the same as that of the wider range from supermarkets. In terms of supply, we would see a price increase as a result and that would be what upset most consumers!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm happy with Wensleydale, @SunnyExpat, and eat English bacon and beef exclusively. Not too worried as British wine has got better too. In fact, the only one of those that bothers me is British Leyland, as we have a Mercedes, but I'm sure a jaguar would do!

That's not really the issue with all of these though. I buy this stuff from farmer's markets (well maybe not the jaguar) and the price direct from the farms is the same as that of the wider range from supermarkets. In terms of supply, we would see a price increase as a result and that would be what upset most consumers!

You'd see more than a price increase.
You'd see the shops empty, as the UK can't actually produce enough english beef and bacon, and wine for the UK population.

Jaguar is owned by Tata Motors.
Will they want to keep the brand outside the EU?
Will they go along with all the British trade agreements that will have to be re-negotiated, or will it be simpler just to relocate to a european headquarters and manufacturing site?

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other thing I am seeing come out is the statement "Younger people should have more respect for their elders". Talk about how to wind people up more! Respect is earned, and I fear it is now lost. For a long time to come... Forget voter turnout (for which there are no figures yet, only guesses), I think this is already demonstrating untold damage to UK society.

When the teenagers have stopped throwing their toys out of the pram, they will calm down. How many times when you were a teenager did you think your parents / grandparents / elders were idiots, know nothing, out of touch? Years on, with maturity and experience behind you, you realise they were not so foolish. I think it is insulting to suggest the older generation shouldn't vote.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When the teenagers have stopped throwing their toys out of the pram, they will calm down. How many times when you were a teenager did you think your parents / grandparents / elders were idiots, know nothing, out of touch? Years on, with maturity and experience behind you, you realise they were not so foolish. I think it is insulting to suggest the older generation shouldn't vote.
Did @tim2000s actually suggest that?

Edit: my 90 year old Aunt voted remain because 'It won't affect me much, but it will be bad for you younger ones if we leave' and she's a Daily Express reader too! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

The euro is a disaster

A very informative post and the majority of EU members hate us why put up with that[/QUOTE] would appear to be right and who in the EU actually likes us, as a country :wideyed: There hasn't been a 'great' in Great Britain for decades.

Reactions: 5 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel it may be the other way around.

It would be a brave parliament that tells its citizens they can no longer buy,

BMW Mercedes Volkswagen, Porsche Audi Fiat Peugeot Renault Volvo Seat Ferrari Alfa Romeo Citroen

Belgian chocolate Irish beef ,

but with have to settle for
British Leyland
English Bacon
Wensleydale cheese
British wine
Cadbury's Dairy Milk
English beef.

And only in season, and only as much as the UK farmers can produce, to their own captive market, for whatever they can charge.

I would suspect the public may disagree on who needs who more.
I don't see anything wrong with that list! Love British food and Cadbury is my favourite! I agree with @Cumberland I don't think those car manufacturers will want to lose trade. If the EU don't want to trade, there is always the rest of the world!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did @tim2000s actually suggest that?

Edit: my 90 year old Aunt voted remain because 'It won't affect me much, but it will be bad for you younger ones if we leave' and she's a Daily Express reader too! :)

I didn't say Tim had said that but there have been plenty of people saying it on social media. :rolleyes:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see anything wrong with that list! Love British food and Cadbury is my favourite! I agree with @Cumberland I don't think those car manufacturers will want to lose trade. If the EU don't want to trade, there is always the rest of the world!

I bet the british farmers, and the british milk producers will even lay on a substantial discount for you, if you show the EU who's boss, and refuse to buy their produce and there's no competition for them anymore.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet the british farmers, and the british milk producers will even lay on a substantial discount for you, if you show the EU who's boss, and refuse to buy their produce and there's no competition for them anymore.
It will be a struggle for some UK farmers without the EU subsidies.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will be a struggle for some UK farmers without the EU subsidies.

Ironically, it appears some posters think they can support a massive expansion if they need to increase production several fold.
I foresee some disappointment when Bernard Matthews comes to the forefront of British meat production..

Status
Not open for further replies.