even with a LCHF diet how much does your BG raise with infections

Drfarxan

Even a common cold can raise blood sugar even more with anyone with any type of diabetes. So out of curiousity how much was your BG when you had a cold,UTI e.t.c?

PS: this is for people who are on keto or lchf diet. Since we barely eat any glucose i am curious to see if it still raises and how much. How much the body need glucose to fight infections with a no carb diet

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Even a common cold can raise blood sugar even more with anyone with any type of diabetes. So out of curiousity how much was your BG when you had a cold,UTI e.t.c?

PS: this is for people who are on keto or lchf diet. Since we barely eat any glucose i am curious to see if it still raises and how much. How much the body need glucose to fight infections with a no carb diet
Wow, what an interesting question! I'm presently on low carb but only in my third week and the more that I can find out the better, so hoping for some answers to your post Drfarxan!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think this is a very individual thing, and even different between different infections in the same person. My most recent infections were Covid and an infected tooth. Covid (surprisingly) did not alter my numbers at all, yet the tooth infection looking back raised my levels for a few days before I was aware my tooth was a problem! Then very quickly went back to normal once I had the tooth treated.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I think this is a very individual thing, and even different between different infections in the same person. My most recent infections were Covid and an infected tooth. Covid (surprisingly) did not alter my numbers at all, yet the tooth infection looking back raised my levels for a few days before I was aware my tooth was a problem! Then very quickly went back to normal once I had the tooth treated.
Rachox I am really surprised about the covid having no bearing on your levels! Are you completely over it now?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox I am really surprised about the covid having no bearing on your levels! Are you completely over it now?
I was surprised too! I had it quite mildly and didn’t get a fever above 37.5c which I think may be significant. I still have a slight cough and tire easily, but it’s only been four weeks since I first fell ill.

Drfarxan

@Rachox interesting to know that covid a viral infection had no effect on your BG, wonder if its the same for others too,not only covid but influenza too. Like you said it might be different for diff people hopefully others contribute too.

Have you taken the vaccine? if yes how did it affect your BG? there is alreasdy a thread i think but it would be nice to ask an individual

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I managed to avoid infections over the past 17 months by staying away from the world (the only regular visitor is my home help) - the only bug I got was a vomiting bug with hours of 3 delivery man passing over parcels to me on the same day. I guess one of them had it. I didn't bother testing on that day or the next as I wasn't eating or drinking much.
I did test after my first covid 19 vaccine and didn't see any additional BS rise.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi I think this is very individual, so anyone reading please don’t think this might happen to you. But my body completely over reacts when I’m ill. I have been in hospital with DKA after a swollen infected insect bite. UTI BG between 15 and 20, I usually have ketones around 1 at this point. I have to inject every 2 hrs and when ketones hit 1 every hr to avoid going to A&E Colds not so bad but have to follow sick day rules. However anything with sickness or a temperature is also a nightmare. I have 3 autoimmune diseases so seem to be very susceptible to my immune system going into overdrive.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse tells me this is uncommon. I would be interested to know if anyone else has this when ill. Any tips will be appreciated.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you taken the vaccine? if yes how did it affect your BG? there is alreasdy a thread i think but it would be nice to ask an individual
Yes I’ve had double Covid vaccines, one in Feb and the other in April, no reaction of blood sugars then either.