Evening target to morning hypers

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
My bloods before bed ahave been in or below target for ages amd my mprning bgs were fine during the summer on 13 units of background levirmir but for tje last 2 weeks i cant wake up in the morning with out having a 14 or above blood glucose i jave increased my levimir by a unit as per dsn advice bit i dunno of i should try lowering it as i had this problem and lowering it worked my bloods jumped from 5.6 to 14.8 just now its really annoyin g me amd messing up my bloods for the whole morning . HELP!!!!
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First step, fasting basal testing for a few nights. That will determine whether your high is a reaction to a night hypo, or if its dawn phenomenon, or if you simply need more basal :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok well what I do is eat dinner a bit earlier on the day I'm doing the test, about 5-6pm and do insulin as usual but do not eat again! And just drink water, nothing with any carb in it. Then 4 hours after you've eaten the test "starts". For me that's 11pm. Take a BG reading then head off to sleep. Alarm set for about 12.30am, take BG and back to sleep. 2am test again and so on until morning. If at any point you go hypo, correct it then stop the test by he next day reduce insulin by 1unit and do the test again.

You should see a pattern of what your body does over night. In theory, if your basal is correct then your BF should stay steady. Mine does, but that's mostly down to the honeymoon period! So my body is cheating a little bit ;) you may find you're going hypo at some point, if that's the case then your body is correcting itself and resulting in a morning high.

If you stay steady all night but then suddenly rise in the early hours of the morning then it's the dawn phenomenon most likely. I think the general rule is do it for 3 nights, if its the same all 3 nights then it's considered a pattern

I hope that makes sense :)

iHs

hale710 said:
Ok well what I do is eat dinner a bit earlier on the day I'm doing the test, about 5-6pm and do insulin as usual but do not eat again! And just drink water, nothing with any carb in it. Then 4 hours after you've eaten the test "starts". For me that's 11pm. Take a BG reading then head off to sleep. Alarm set for about 12.30am, take BG and back to sleep. 2am test again and so on until morning. If at any point you go hypo, correct it then stop the test by he next day reduce insulin by 1unit and do the test again.

You should see a pattern of what your body does over night. In theory, if your basal is correct then your BF should stay steady. Mine does, but that's mostly down to the honeymoon period! So my body is cheating a little bit ;) you may find you're going hypo at some point, if that's the case then your body is correcting itself and resulting in a morning high.

If you stay steady all night but then suddenly rise in the early hours of the morning then it's the dawn phenomenon most likely. I think the general rule is do it for 3 nights, if its the same all 3 nights then it's considered a pattern

Depending on how old you are and what you do during the day, but if you drink tea/coffee with milk in it on and off all day long, then it makes sense to include this in the basal adjustment during the evening when you eat your meal and not just drink water otherwise the bg levels used leading up to the time when fasting is started wont be correct. If water is just drunk, then a bolus would need to be used to cover the milk content.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also to add, make sure the meal before the fast is low(ish) in fat, a high-fat meal can raise bg several hours after eating so can skew the results.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs said:
hale710 said:

Depending on how old you are and what you do during the day, but if you drink tea/coffee with milk in it on and off all day long, then it makes sense to include this in the basal adjustment during the evening when you eat your meal and not just drink water otherwise the bg levels used leading up to the time when fasting is started wont be correct. If water is just drunk, then a bolus would need to be used to cover the milk content.

I'm a water or peppermint tea drinker so this didnt occur to me, but good point!