Evil Cheese?????

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes hedgehogs are lactose intolerant they love dog food though and it is what the RSPCA recommend to give them but not cat food something in that that does not agree with hedgehogs
Nobody told my hedgehogs that they were lactose intolerant!

When I was first married I kept a couple of tortoises as pets and they had a little home which a hedgehog family tried to take over. I used to (as it was then deemed an OK thing to give them) put out a little bowl of milk every night for the hedgehogs.. Woe betide me if that bowl was empty and their supper was missing - they would push and clatter and bang it about to attract my attention to this dreadful lack of milky supper!

Robbity

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I'm still pulling leeks in the garden. (It's winter here!) Leek and Stilton soup today. Delicious!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
If I eventually die from cheese I'll be perfectly happy :)

I've found that if you have dairy products, such as cheese, at EVERY meal, you are likely to get a painful level of constipation.

It seems that the intestines cannot absorb both calcium and magnesium from the same meal, and will absorb only the calcium if you had both.

Magnesium is needed if you want your large intestine to move properly.

Most dairy products contain calcium. A good source of magnesium is green leaves, such as turnip greens. Spinach may be and exception - it contains calcium, magnesium, AND something that prevents you from absorbing the calcium.

You need perhaps one meal a day that contains green leaves but no dairy products.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that if you have dairy products, such as cheese, at EVERY meal, you are likely to get a painful level of constipation.

It seems that the intestines cannot absorb both calcium and magnesium from the same meal, and will absorb only the calcium if you had both.

Most dairy products contain calcium. A good source of magnesium is green leaves, such as turnip greens. Spinach may be and exception - it contains calcium, magnesium, AND something that prevents you from absorbing the calcium.

You need perhaps one meal a day that contains green leaves but no dairy products.
I'll ask my intestines and I'll remember if ever I get constipated!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Animal products of any kind have always constipated me! I never knew that about calcium and magnesium, though. That would certainly explain why, despite taking mag supplements in a very bio-available form (with meals.... that contain cheese...), my night-time leg cramps have increased exponentially with my uptick in cheese consumption. Hmmmm. Need to experiment with that!