1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Evil Cheese?????

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by lucylocket61, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

Maybe although its not specifically ‘mature’ cheese that I react to - mild to extra mature seem to set off reactions.
    I was initially diagnosed over 35 years ago and at that time dairy intolerance and lactose intolerance seemed to be used interchangeably to describe my reactions. More recently, dairy intolerant is used more frequently

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pretty strange really that we eat so much cheese now that it is a real addiction when we are the only species that consume dairy products after we are weaned I wonder why we do

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

partly due to needing the calcium and vitamins we would otherwise lack, due to be in a northern country. Rickets used to be a very real problem. and hard cheese is a readily stored dense form of protein for winter months. It has been produced for millenia all over the world.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Because we can?.. I doubt that mice have ever figured out how to separate curds and whey in a vat with their little paws..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Greger and Willets. Now there's a bromance. As to why we are the only species to take milk after weaning and to take the milk of another species well... might as well ask why we would eat the flesh of another species, because we can and because in evolutionary terms a diet high in animal protein of any kind has served to make us the species with the largest brain and put us firmly at the top of the food chain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  7. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is there any other yummy food you can buy in The Netherlands? ;);)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Err.. ....pigs in cowhide?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Salty licorice in at least 200 varieties! Wonderful for treating hypo's :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Dutch mayo is the best that I’ve ever tasted :hungry:

11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

People who are lactose intolerant, can try lactose free dairy products.
    People who are whey intolerant (like me) can try dairy such as butter, hard cheeses and cream, where the whey has been (almost completely) removed.
    A friend of the family worked out they couldn’t eat cooked cheese, but uncooked was problem free, so he took cheese on toast off the menu, and discovered the joys of quality cheese.
    Those who can’t take cow’s dairy can often tolerate sheep or goat’s dairy.

As for why we eat dairy at all?
    Might as well ask why we cook our food, brew alcoholic drinks, or pickle foods.
    Same reasons; flavour, preservation, pleasure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am 66, American, and grew up (and never grew out of) loving milk with every meal and snack. (Mom had had rickets during the Depression, and wanted us to avoid that!) Didn’t know I was addicted until my early 40’s, when I was traveling and milk-deprived for 10 days. My first glass of milk after that was so good that I immediately had 2 more. GFCF had just come onto my radar, and I figured, a few years later, if I was going to try it on my autistic kid I may as well try it too. It didn’t work for kid, who starved himself for enough days that I had to give in. He was only 7, and pitifully hungry. But I stayed off the milk and cheese for probably 15 years and felt better for it. Now here I am with the cow casein addiction again , but still can’t stand milk! If anybody knows an American-available goat or sheep cheese that’s as low sodium as swiss, give me a shout!!!
    Here’s an allergy not to catch: that new one to red meat! (Not kidding)
    I think UK meat in general is probably less full of chemicals than US?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

My family and I live in the southern hemisphere and we are not dairy intolerant. Come to think of it I do not know anyone who is in our circle of people we mix are.

I must admit I do not drink plain milk anymore, but this was due to the milk that was available in the town we moved to years ago coming in plastic bags. I never have liked cream either for some reason, but it is not to do with being allergic to it.

Edit: Typo

#33 Tipetoo, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Every cat I have ever had and thats quite a few would be happy to lap a saucer of milk when we used to have milk delivered to the doorstep in bottles we were forever finding bottles with holes pecked in the tops by birds to get at the milk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

Most of my cats have been fine with milk, but the last one ( a Burmese cross rescue cat that lived to 22 yrs old) got the major squits if I gave her any cows milk. I had to shell out for this product which she could tolerate
    https://www.whiskas.co.uk/our-products/cat-milk/whiskas-milk-for-cats-200ml

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

hedgehogs like milk too. Our cat is vegan and tries to cover the saucer up when we put milk or cream in it.

17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I wonder if Echidna's drink milk as an adult.
    Our two cats were no way vegan, butcher shop meat I brought home from work, eggs and bacon was a favourite. They used to drink powdered milk when they were younger but they grew out of it.

They liked most fish, but tried to rip up the floor tiles trying to bury a tin of tuna we put down for a feed. I don't blame them I do not like tuna either

18. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I assume that the ability to tolerate lactose comes from keeping cows and being able to store 'cow juice' at cooler temperatures without a fridge.. Those with lactose intolerance find goats' milk more tolerable perhaps becaue their ancestors kept and milked goats.
    Fortunately we can buy our milk in glass bottles although I wish I could get in unpasturised too!

19. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I used to eat a bacon sarnie I always put cheese in it but I do not know of any cheese that has bacon added to it

20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Never give Hedgehogs milk, it can give them diarrhoea, give them plain water in a shallow bowl instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook