Excellent News. !

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Eight weeks ago I thought I would be on Insulin treatment but I gave Metformin one last attempt.

I cut carbs down wherever I could, losing 11 lbs of weight in the process.

Went for a blood test last week & got a phone call from the diabetes nurse this afternoon &.................................................. HbA1c down from 76 t0 49 !!!

Told to stop taking Sitagliptin 100gm.

Now even more determined to crack on with it & go for lower readings next time !

Thanks for all the inspiring threads I read on here too.

Reactions: 22 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff and good for you @catfan . One more step taken on the journey. I am continually monitoring my carbs. Yesterday it was about 30g - will get there in the end.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eight weeks ago I thought I would be on Insulin treatment but I gave Metformin one last attempt.

I cut carbs down wherever I could, losing 11 lbs of weight in the process.

Went for a blood test last week & got a phone call from the diabetes nurse this afternoon &.................................................. HbA1c down from 76 t0 49 !!!

Told to stop taking Sitagliptin 100gm.

Now even more determined to crack on with it & go for lower readings next time !

Thanks for all the inspiring threads I read on here too.

That's quite a shift in just eight weeks. You should be very proud.

The downside is you'll never be able to truly look yourself in the eye and tell yourself diet doesn't matter.

Again, well done!

Reactions: 4 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, catfan, takes a lot of effort but worth it to keep the nasty diabetes complications at bay.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well done .:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is a great reduction @catfan, well done and pleased the forum has been inspiring :)

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Way to go. 8 weeks to burn 11lbs? that is way too fast. Keep your efforts ON and keep us posted. Would like to harass you with few questions.

1. Is it diet alone helped you?

2. Did you exercise? details please. like frequency, duration and type of workouts etc. Your BMI, body fat details will add a lot of value.

3. Any other medication apart from the one that already you mentioned?

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Way to go. 8 weeks to burn 11lbs? that is way too fast. Keep your efforts ON and keep us posted. Would like to harass you with few questions.

1. Is it diet alone helped you?

2. Did you exercise? details please. like frequency, duration and type of workouts etc. Your BMI, body fat details will add a lot of value.

3. Any other medication apart from the one that already you mentioned?

1. Yes, just reduced Carbs where possible, no chocolate, very little bread or potatoes no cakes, odd biscuit or two, only fruit is half of apple with 6 strawberries. Snacks are bit of cheese or mixed nuts.

2. Exercise, good question that, hardly able to walk last year due to Intermittent Claudication affecting both legs, had bilateral femoral angioplasty last december & now walking perfectly. Walking a minimum 30 mins a day, building leg muscles up again.
Can't do much exercise yet to to coronary issues, just taking life steady !
Not sure about BMI, but was 15s 9lbs, now 14S 12lbs. Height 5. 11.
3. Meds, see my updated signature.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Do you think if you continue this way you might be able to reduce your Metformin soon.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Well done. Do you think if you continue this way you might be able to reduce your Metformin soon.

Hopefully yes, the diabetes nurse took me off Sitagliptin today & asked how I felt about Metformin. I asked to stay with them for now or at least until my next HbA1c blood test in 3 months time. If everything continues as it is I can see a definite reduction in Metformin.

Strangely enough I struggled for a long time with Metformin, usual stuff esp acid reflux / heartburn etc. Then one day I read a comment on this forum about excessive carbs, Metformin & heartburn. A cut in carbs got rid of the problem straight away !

It's a great feeling when everything goes just right !

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done, keep going!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
now walking perfectly. Walking a minimum 30 mins a day, building leg muscles up again. Can't do much exercise yet to to coronary issues, just taking life steady !

Walking 30min - it is very good, if you do daily. I was in this situation a few years back, but somehow got out of it. Thankfully I had no other issues except loads of weight and laziness.

Try upper body exercises while sitting in the couch. There tons of exercises while laying down too. Those will burn more fat, if you do slowly and in a systematic way. These are mostly resistance workouts, body weight exercises. These exercises in general do not increase your heart rate, but more effective than cardio if done properly. You may or may not sweat.

I strongly recommend bicycle crunches. Look on youtube, many videos are there. You have many advantages: these work on entire upper core and attacks the visceral fat. No load on your legs at all, nothing to worry about your knees etc. Do easy in the beginning, most folks can do 6 to 8 or so. Can be done daily, important aspect is - exercise should last beyond 20min.

Should do for 10 to 12 weeks [daily 30 to 40min] to see the results. IMP: do them slowly even if you are accustomed. When accustomed, try to reduce breaks in between.

Good luck, keep us posted.