Excercise And Low Carb

potty pet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,
I am pre diabetic . I go to the gym regularly, walk the dog before and after work, play badminton in a club x2 per week and and am on week 4 of couch to 5 k. ( I also work 4 days a week). Prior to starting couch to 5 k I seemed to be managing with low carb but now am struggling not to eat more carbs. Has anybody else had experience of this and how have they dealt with it e.g. How many carbs per day ....I appreciate doing more excercise Is causing it .
Thanks in anticipation x

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I am pre diabetic . I go to the gym regularly, walk the dog before and after work, play badminton in a club x2 per week and and am on week 4 of couch to 5 k. ( I also work 4 days a week). Prior to starting couch to 5 k I seemed to be managing with low carb but now am struggling not to eat more carbs. Has anybody else had experience of this and how have they dealt with it e.g. How many carbs per day ....I appreciate doing more excercise Is causing it .
Thanks in anticipation x
Fill up on protein and fats.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Seems counter intuitive, but you will need to reduce carbs. This will force your body to turn to fat burning. I managed this transition by eating fish protein, as my symptoms were like hitting the wall. Once I embraced LCHF, I was / am able to train fasted cardio and heavy weights (whilst eating mainly one meal a day).

So the trick is to use fat reserves.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Thanks in anticipation x
I agree with dbr10. Like you I run and am active. I only eat about 20g carbs daily and for a while I have been feeling weak. I have increased my fat intake, but over a certain level that made me feel sick. Now I am following Dr Bernstein's (http://www.diabetes-book.com/whats-left-to-eat/) advice and have upped my protein intake. Unlike High Fat, higher protein is unfashionable at present, but it seems to be working for me. I am very thin and I think that on low carb I was starving myself! We are all different, but those lost carbs have to be replaced by something, unless the person has lots of surplus fat to lose. I suggest you experiment to find what combination of nutrients will fuel your activity level comfortably. It may even be that you can get away with adding in a few more carbs around exercise, if you don't want to try the fat-adapted route recommended by Mbker. Just keep checking your meter.

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a HbA1c of 43 I was told I was pre-diabetic about a year ago but have not really done anything about it. Recently after buying a monitor and started taking readings I have been taking things more seriously. I have lost 6lbs in the last 4 weeks although I am not too over weight anyway. My fasting readings are usually between 5.6 -5.8 and after meals below 6.8 within 2 hours [except when I have chips or teacakes?]. I have re-started exercises [which I have done pretty much all my life but stopped 6 months ago due to a knee injury].

I have, after reading articles and postings on this forum reduced Carbs and this is a problem for me I think because twice now in the last 10 days whilst doing aerobic exercise [about 10 minutes in] I start feeling weird. The first time I took my blood sugar and it was 3.5/ rechecked and it was 3.2 so had some milk and after 15 minutes was 5.7. Today it happened again but this time 2.9/recheck 2.6 and 15 minutes later after milk and some chocolate 4.7. It is really worrying me. I had for lunch 2 hours earlier of 3 slices wholemeal bread, 2 eggs and a banana and so would have thought my sugars would not have been too low before exercising [but did not check and perhaps I need to].

The first time it happened I cut my 30 minute aerobic session into two 15 minutes sessions 4 hours apart and I thought that was it cured. I never have a problem with the morning session.

To be honest I am really confused - on the one hand I want to exercise and I have been told by many this is the route to avoid diabetes but the exercise is lowering blood sugar too much so I have to wonder if I am diabetic at all? People say avoid carbs but this seems to be creating problems for me. I just don't understand what I need to do from here.

Any advice/ suggestions much appreciated.