Exercise and going hyper afterwards

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on metformin only and the fitness level I'm at now, weightraining for 40 minutes with heavy weights (usually 5 sets or 5 reps each, squats, presses, deadlifts and rows, will raise my BG by about 3mmol so I now always follow up with 20-30 mins of medium cardio which brings it back down again. On days where I'm not doing resistance training I do an hour of HIT cardio, the last 10 minutes at a slow pace which gives me a prolonged reduction in BG levels. When i have tested during HIT its similar to the weight training in that I will go high initially, but then as the session progresses past the 45minute mark there is a sharp fall.

It is clear to me from what others say that it can depend on the individual though and it used to affect me differently when I first started, much less likely to raise BG's during the session.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I feel fine today, and BG is in a good range. I will monitor my BG, type of exercise, food, and time-sequences, accordingly.. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jhinkson1

It's really difficult to manage. I only do really high intensity exercise and my sugars also spike afterwards. I'm worried about injecting insulin before in case i hypo but it has helped a bit. I'm pregnant at the moment so this worries me a lot. I'm just thinking of stopping exercise for while i'm pregnant or doing low intensity, but i hate doing low intensity, don't see the point!

Reactions: 2 people

Mayurbharthi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone.
This is my first post. I have been diagnosed from last 2 years and during this 2 year I have glasses as well and very poor controlled diabetic.
Last week my doctor gave me a warning that If I am not doing anything then we need to start insulin. And then I have start yoga and pranayama and surprisingly within 4days my glasses gone. I was not sure so, I had an appointment with my optician and they confirm that my glasses are reduced.
And even my diabetes in control now.
Who are finding very difficult to control please visit below link and do yoga and pranayama everyday and feel the difference.

Good luck

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some really good advice here.

At moderate intensity exercise your BG will fall - Glucose gets taken out of the working muscles from the bloodstream without any need for insulin.
When you exercise vigorously - your heart rate goes up, and you trigger events in your body that cause your liver to release glucose into the bloodstream. Your liver doesn't have an 'off' switch, so once this has happened, your BGs may continue to rise even after you have finished exercising.

If you utilise insulin, then you may with to bring your BG back to a more 'healthy' level after exercise by giving yourself an injection to counter your high bloods. Be aware however that your body will now has a glucose 'deficit' - that is, your muscles and particularly your liver will need to re-stock by taking glucose out of your bloodstream over the next few hours. Consequently it is advisable to reduce your bolus with your next meal and keep checking your BG just to be sure you don't run the risk of going 'Hypo'.

Ways to help manage your exercise when you have diabetes:

If you are prescribed insulin, then reduce your basal before you exercise (it is far easier to control this with a pump than with injections!) In somebody with a fully functioning Pancreas, insulin production gets 'switched off' during exercise - if you have injected or infused insulin streaming around your body then obviously your body cannot put a stop to this. Low insulin levels are one of the triggers that are needed to cause the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream. Consequently if you combine insulin with exercise you run the risk of having a Hypo - glucose gets sucked out of the blood rapidly, and your liver doesn't get the signal to release more into the bloodstream.

If you don't inject insulin and worry about Hypers after exercise:

Vigorous exercise has most health benefits, unfortunately however it will more than likely cause high blood glucose readings. Consequently a way of managing this is to structure your exercise such that after warming up, you do any vigorous activity early in to your exercise program. If you follow this with a 20 minute 'cool down' of moderate exercise (such as a gentle run say) your BGs will come down naturally, as the excess glucose gets gobbled up by your working muscles. The great thing is, that by doing this vigorous exercise it will help you maintain healthy BGs for at least 24hrs. Yay!

For some excellent info on fitness and type 2 diabetes, go and take a look at the new "kit bag' on the TeamBG website.

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I thought i would revive this thread. I had a rather significant spike tonight after a really strenuous work-out. Prior to taking my BG reading I also had eaten a pear, after not having had eaten any fruit for about a month. I didn't know if the exercise, the fruit, or a combination of both had caused the spike. I then had some full-fat yogurt/sour-cream and my BG came down to the lowest its ever been, not a hypo though.:happy: I just thought this was all a bit unusual, so I wanted to post on it.
It's really difficult to manage. I only do really high intensity exercise and my sugars also spike afterwards. I'm worried about injecting insulin before in case i hypo but it has helped a bit. I'm pregnant at the moment so this worries me a lot. I'm just thinking of stopping exercise for while i'm pregnant or doing low intensity, but i hate doing low intensity, don't see the point!

In reference to to high intensity and pregnancy, I'm not sure that injecting insulin before you exercise is a very good idea. If you have high bloods after you finish, then certainly it is worth injecting to bring it back down to a healthy level. Just be aware that your body will have a glucose 'deficit' that will leave you susceptible to a hypo later on in the day.
The other thing to consider is to follow your high intensity exercise with a 'cool down' of moderate intensity exercise - although you may not enjoy it so much, it should at least help you manage your BG back down again. Awesome that you are keeping up exercise whilst you are preggers!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I saw the neurologist yesterday for the first time to keep a check on my feet/hands neuropathy,, and when I was weighed, the scale showed no weight loss. :wideyed: I was disappointed and surprised esp. since my clothes fit much better and I can move faster, so I had expected to see that I had lost at least half a stone. Maybe the scale calculates differently from my GP's.
Anyway, since I'm feeling better physically and feel ready for some consistent exercise, I'll try to be aware of the suggestions on this thread. I'll report any concerns.
Thanks to all for feedback on this issue;)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I saw the neurologist yesterday for the first time to keep a check on my feet/hands neuropathy,, and when I was weighed, the scale showed no weight loss. :wideyed: I was disappointed and surprised esp. since my clothes fit much better and I can move faster, so I had expected to see that I had lost at least half a stone. Maybe the scale calculates differently from my GP's.
Anyway, since I'm feeling better physically and feel ready for some consistent exercise, I'll try to be aware of the suggestions on this thread. I'll report any concerns.
Thanks to all for feedback on this issue;)
Hi there,
Keep up the good work! and don't feel disappointed with apparently no weight loss. If you have been taking regular exercise and feel that your clothes are fitting better, it could be that you're just losing fat and putting on muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). Yay!
Take a quick look at www.teambloodglucose.com - the type 2 diabetes 'kit bag' has got quite a bit of useful information around exercise and diabetes to help manage pesky BGs!.

Reactions: 5 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there,
Keep up the good work! and don't feel disappointed with apparently no weight loss. If you have been taking regular exercise and feel that your clothes are fitting better, it could be that you're just losing fat and putting on muscle (muscle weighs more than fat). Yay!
Take a quick look at www.teambloodglucose.com - the type 2 diabetes 'kit bag' has got quite a bit of useful information around exercise and diabetes to help manage pesky BGs!.

Thanks, and yes, it could what you say, regarding the scale not showing any loss. That makes sense.
I have to stop the free weights for a while because I over-stressed one of my shoulders. I'll probably just walk a few miles a week for now, as the ice and snow are melting.
The www.teambloodglucose.com site looks good.;)

jhinkson1

Hello
You said that moderate exercise will lower glucose levels.
Im going to try and avoid doing anymore high intensity till my pregnancy is over . Would moderate consist of walking on a treadmill, biking with no resistance, what about weights?
Also i still do spinning classes which i would say is quite high intensity but my sugar levels only raise slightly- no higher than 7.5.
Netball is completley different and doing sprint intervals, body weight intervals will shoot it up.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds very sensible to me - Okay to get your heart rate up a little, so long as whatever you're doing is balanced with lower intensity as well (wonder if that's why spinning doesn't raise your BG higher - it could be that's a good combination of both high and moderate intensity exercise so it keeps BG rises in check) Just keep an eye on BG after exercise too - test for highs and of course lows later on in the day. Make the necessary adjustments to get your BGs in the normal range.
Stay safe, keep healthy and good luck with the pregnancy and birth of your little one!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've been T2D for the past 3 years. I gave up serious BG testing a couple of years ago, when I realised that VLC eating, hardly spikes my BG. It's unusual for me to go much above 7mmol/l after a low-carb meal.

However, I'm just coming back to running after 10 weeks out, and at the end of September I hope to run the Berlin Marathon on (almost) zero carb keto. What I've noticed is, that despite eating almost zero carbohydrate, my BG spikes to 7.5mmol/l or more after a 3 mile run. I used to notice this after parkrun too (especially when I was running all out).

I take this a good thing - I'm trying to get into "deep ketosis", and I guess to do that I need to empty my liver completely of glycogen.

It'll be interesting to see if the same thing happens when I'm properly in ketosis.