Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
So with the mini heatwave, I've now had 2 hypo events this week with exercise, my latest this morning was a park run and so before hand turned pump down to 25% on basal, had carbs on board and tested at 8.7mmol/l so assumed I was safe to proceed, Libre broke on Thursday so didn't have a device to check whilst running, half way round I stopped to test as it was a bit warm and was at 2.9mmol/l, gulped down 4 glucotabs, unplugged the pump altogether and got above 4 so carried on thinking I'd be ok to finish, it was a walk/run to the end as didn't want to collapse and cause an embarrassment and finished at 4.1mmol/l.

First question is what would others of done under the circumstances ? So could I have done anything differently ?

Next question is should I of stopped ?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I'm on MDI so different circumstances. I might have walked a bit after the glucose to let it "hit" as I know from experience that if I carry on things take longer to fix.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks @Diakat it was when I got above 4 that I thought I could carry on, I had another once I got going again, didn't realise how dry glucotabs are though when exercising so will go back to glucogel after this one :yuck:

Reactions: Diakat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well with the privilege of hindsight I might have unplugged sooner because you clearly had some insulin on board which was then activated more quickly because of the heat. At 8.7 I think I would have assumed I was 'good to go' too so I suppose the options are to bolus less for breakfast and go in a little higher temporarily or unplug or avoid carbs for breakfast so much less spiking and bolussing is needed!
As to stopping, its a 5k run so I guess you can safely imbibe glucose tabs whilst walking i.e. its not as if you are doing anything too dangerous such as driving a car or riding a bike. Same thing did happen to me although I didn't realise I was low until I got home (cycled from work) and could not remember where our doorbell was at 3.1!!!

Reactions: Juicyj

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch!
I don't pump so my thinking's probably not quite right for you, but could you run your basal at 12.5% or turn down to 25% half hour in advance whilst hot weather running, or use a lucozade sport type drink, which risks a spike of course.

I can only relate to mdi and when I start dropping quickly training it's game over as the drop continues after glucose too long to pick the session back up, and going on my numbers I'd eat a small banana before starting.

Good luck anyway.

D

Deleted Account

I would have done the same ... but that is as much about me stubbornly wanting to continue.
I suspect the diabetes purists would tell us to stop exercising for at least 15 minutes and maybe take some longer acting carbs.

Not sure how much effect unplugging the pump makes mid-exercise. I used to do this until I realised it takes about 90 minutes to have any impact for me. So I have to remember to reduce my basal at least an hour before I hit the gym, or climbing wall or park.

Pre-pump, I would have taken a weakly diluted cordial with me to keep the glucose topped up during the run but not found I've needed this if I remember to lower the basal in advance.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have to admit I had DAFNE bleeping in my head saying stop but the competitor in me saw me coming last and since school i’ve had a thing about coming last... :banghead:

It’s one i’ll put down to experience but as the temperature has gone up will aim to start the temp basal way around 90 mins before - it’s such a balancing act though..

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any chance it was a false low, @Juicyj ? I'm wondering whether sweat on your hands from running in the heat might have diluted the blood a bit?

Only reason I mention it is that if I'm washing my hands while in a pub, the air-dryers in some of them don't do a particularly good job of drying and I'm pretty sure I've had a couple of false lows through testing with slightly damp hands, so I always try to make sure I've got a hanky to dry properly.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Scott-C Thanks sadly no chance, I stopped as my vision had gone weird so stopped and gulped glucotabs and tested about 4 times until I got above 4 then carried on, was approached by a marshal who checked I was ok so said I would carry on once I was able to, glad I did finish now however was a bit worried I might not make it. I normally run with a libre on which makes tracking glucose so much easier.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So with the mini heatwave, I've now had 2 hypo events this week with exercise, my latest this morning was a park run and so before hand turned pump down to 25% on basal, had carbs on board and tested at 8.7mmol/l so assumed I was safe to proceed, Libre broke on Thursday so didn't have a device to check whilst running, half way round I stopped to test as it was a bit warm and was at 2.9mmol/l, gulped down 4 glucotabs, unplugged the pump altogether and got above 4 so carried on thinking I'd be ok to finish, it was a walk/run to the end as didn't want to collapse and cause an embarrassment and finished at 4.1mmol/l.

First question is what would others of done under the circumstances ? So could I have done anything differently ?

Next question is should I of stopped ?
Hi @Juicyj hate to be boring but I would have stopped, I was at an excercise class a couple of weeks ago when I started feeling funny, checked my sugar and it was 3.9, took 2 glucose tabs and thought I’d be fine, checked again was 3.5, took some more glucose, but my sugar continued to drop, ended up sitting at side (as was with a friend) eating a protein bar with everyone looking at me!!! I don’t think it helps that I had not reduced my insulin dose enough at my last meal. But my point is you really don’t know what ur sugar is going to do sometimes and with you continuing to run it may have dropped further, am sure it was on the lower side for a while after?

I suppose I live and learn am off to gym now and in preparation I only took 1/3 of my dose for breakfast, which normally works but who knows!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey thanks @emmay That's also happened to me in a yoga class too :banghead: !! I sat it out for 10 minutes eating jelly babies and then re-joined the class and was fortunately ok till the end, sadly it put me off this yoga class though (that and the fact that the instructor seemed to single me out for special treatment which was really off putting) I think the reason I felt I could carry on with the run was that I had at this point taken my pump off so didn't have a basal insulin supply and my quick acting had almost worn off too, also my tactic was to gulp more glucotabs till the end, I was lucky as I ended up at 4.1 at the finish. I saw my DSN this week who also exercises albeit without t1 but she has a special interest in diabetics who do and we analysed the event again and she said the only difference I could of made was to of removed or reduced my basal insulin by up to 60-90 minutes prior to the event. Heat was the fundamental factor in this event for me, I ran last night and started at 7.7 and finished at 6.4, only ran for 25 minutes but this was a much smoother BG journey as not so hot. What really keeps me going though is the fact I refuse to let t1 get in the way of my running, so each event becomes experience and a learning kerb for future knowledge.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@emmay Good luck with the gym this morning - sat in an office so know where i'd much rather be !!

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Juicyj , was a great gym session but clearly over worked it as sugar has been dropping all day have managed to catch it in time, have been lucky enough to eat 2 lots of biscuits & banana without taking any insulin!!!! However after the 2nd time didn’t even enjoy the snack, have to say being T1 takes all the joy out of eating now!
Obviously a harder session than planned I think next time I won’t take any insulin for my brekky. Like you said we can’t let these things stop us from carrying on. Hope ur day went well

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes sadly hypos should be a moment of great joy for the opportunity to eat stuff you wouldn't normally eat, yet the state they put you in means all you can think about is getting high again and lose any enjoyment from eating..

Yes good day, I came down to 6.4 after leaving the office and have bounced about around this since then, am off for a friend's birthday tonight which will involve a 3 course meal and wine, so bring on the next challenge !