Exercise and rising blood sugars?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya!
Just a question because this is really confusing me

When I used to work out my blood sugars would usually drop, but I sorted this out by taking less insulin before my work out and it was all fine.

I started to work out again while in lockdown and I've noticed that after my exercise my blood sugar shoots up, rather than going down like usual.

Why is this? Am I doing something wrong? It just seems strange to me.

Thanks you!
Sarah x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya!
Just a question because this is really confusing me

When I used to work out my blood sugars would usually drop, but I sorted this out by taking less insulin before my work out and it was all fine.

I started to work out again while in lockdown and I've noticed that after my exercise my blood sugar shoots up, rather than going down like usual.

Why is this? Am I doing something wrong? It just seems strange to me.

Thanks you!
Sarah x
Sarah, I am a PT and have type1 and the exercise thing can be inconsistent for me too!
I imagine that you may be doing some different things now you are exercising at home. Well done for keeping up the routine btw.
Or perhaps your eating routine exercise has changed? Or you are more stressed in general?
In other words it is most likely a change in the kind of exercise you are doing but could be a load of other things related to your change in circumstances in lock down.
For me doing weights or HiiT raises my blood sugars especially if done fasted. A long walk after insulin and food gives me a smoother ride but for best fitness results all 3 elements should be used.

Reactions: Carlton1512