exercise and toning for morbid obesity

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 43917

I hate the words morbid obesity - but I am extremely overweight and this is the medical term describing it. I wondered if anyone had any tips for exercise and toning for a person in my situation - I weigh 21 stones with a BMI of 46. I am on a low budget so I am really looking for things I can easily do by myself or at home, plus I'm just not fit enough or confident enough to join most groups at the moment.

tree-peony

don't worry.. just take some baby steps and you'll soon increase your fitness. I bought a second hand rebounder (mini trampoline) off Ebay about 2 years ago. I just did 5 mins of gentle bouncing at a time, increasing it by a couple of minutes every few days until I was doing 20 mins twice a day.

I will admit I'd let it slip since Xmas as I had a wonky ankle!

I've now bought a crosstrainer (since my diagnosis a month ago) and I am able to do a straight 40 mins which hurts but BOY do I feel virtuous! I try and do at least an hour a day on it :)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I started off my weight loss with just walking 45 minutes to an hour after eating and found that really worked. I increased the distance as I got stronger after my stroke.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Couple of pointer's here ...
If you have a pet doggy? try and get into a daily routine, walk your doggy for a fair goood walk.
You will have company by your side whilst you do this... :thumbup:
If hitting the gym feels a bridge too far, try tracking down a local chair based excersise class this
will be gentle excersise , toneing too as well as getting started being more active.
I did these and benefitted so much from them both !
I have deformed talipes bones plus per cavus charcot type in my feet so doing gym work on my feet was too much trauma.
Was assessed they suggested this chair based excersise that enables me to keep active and get toned too.
When I first started there were a few members from diet clubs like slimming world, weight watchers there also.
Plus others young and older who had had surgery and were limited with their physical ability.
Nice mixed bunch of us enjoy the class and each others company.
We have all kept going and support each other plus have over time become good firm pals with each other.
Hope this helps?
Anna.x :D

D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks for all your replies. :) It looks like walking is the way to go but unfortunately I haven't got a doggie.

Chair based exercise also sounds great - however, I don't think they do classes in my area, but I will check. I'm intrigued at the thought of using a mini trampoline - but I'm a bit worried that I would just bounce right through it! I tried a cross -trainer once at a gym when I tried going with a friend in the past and I could only manage about three minutes so perhaps that's something more for the future and I don't think I'd be able to afford getting one at the moment. Has anyone tried resistance bands?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I do have dogs, but don't use walking them as exercise because they stop and sniff and I like to walk without stopping, so I do their walks separately.

I use resistance bands on my EA Sports Active workouts on the Wii. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I also use a programme on the Wii called 'Step to the Beat'. Basically you walk and accumulate points as you walk and build an island. It is great for wet days. I've found myself walking 6 miles on it without realising.

Defren

Hi apple, walking is my exercise too. I bought a treadmill and use it every day. I started off with great gusto, but then calmed down a little, but today I managed my first ever 20 minutes without stopping. I just built up, and only do what I can. I did an hour yesterday, so far 40 minutes today, but I will do another 20 minutes before I go to bed. You can borrow my pooches if you like, they are only little so don't need to walk far :D

tree-peony

the other thing that helps me is I do SOME every day, even if I'm feeling poorly. Then it's not quite the hurdle it soon becomes if you let it slip for a few days

WhitbyJet

apple123 - you need to start off slowly and gradually build up fitness. Might be best to check with your doctor before embarking on any exercise program, esp if you havent done any exercise for a while.

Any movement is good, even fidgeting, armchair exercises are a good start, your body is supported whilst you are doing the exercises, not sure about a trampoline just yet, you dont want to hurt yourself.

Another option are Therabands, these come with instructions and are gentle and effective.

A link for you, this book is supposed to be one of the best for armchair exercising http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosies-Armchair ... 0951851179

As you lose weight and move around more you will soon be able to do a lot more, build confidence and feel comfortable to join a gym if that is what you want to do eventually.

Dont feel a failure, you are anything but, I think you are very strong and brave to face up to things and willing to make the necessary changes to make you healthier once more.
Good luck x x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You beat me to it, WhitbyJet - I was just going to recommend that book, by Rosita Evans. It's very good.

Hi Apple - just to let you know you are not alone. At diagnosis I weighed 298lb - 21stone 4lb - with a BMI of about 48. I'm now 238lb - 17stone - with a BMI of 38. That's taken 2 years, and it's been mainly by diet - my Atkins diet - because I have spinal problems and can't do much exercise at all.

The physiotherapist recommended that I do only exercise bike when I go to the gym. When I can afford the subs :)roll:) I try to go 3 times a week, and do 15 minutes at a low level of resistance. I'm getting much better at it, and can definitely feel an improvement. I garden, too - one of the sights of the village is me getting up from weeding - a**e first, just like a cow :lol: . That's getting easier, too, and I'm definitely more supple.

Do you have a local Freecycle? It might be worth asking if anyone wants to get rid of an exercise bike, or a mini trampoline. You never know - I once gave away a car!

If you are cutting the carbs, even if you're not going as low as I do, the weight will start dropping off all by itself. Once it does, you'll feel so much better about yourself, because you'll be In Control. :thumbup: Then your BGs and your blood pressure will improve too, and you'll be a new woman.

The positive side of diabetes - it has probably saved my life :D .

Viv 8)

D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement! Defren - I'd love to talk you up on the offer of walking your pooches! Don't happen to live anywhere near Sussex do you?!

Thanks for the recommendation of the book viviennem and WhitbyJet - I shall have a look on Amazon to see if it has any reviews.

I seem to have suddenly lost more lbs just by walking and low-carbing these past few days - so I've lost nearly half a stone more (my scales aren't that accurate!)

I appreciate what you are saying about doing a little even if you feel rough tree-peony.

Now that I've realised I'm on a high dose of Metformin, (through coming here) I'm really really hoping that I might be reduce the dose and improve my bg through weightloss and low carbing.

Oh and viviennem that's a great idea about freecycle ...

Defren

tree-peony said:
good luck, we'll just keep egging each other on ;)

I think that's a lovely idea, infact I am going to start a thread.

Sadly I am in the north east apple, otherwise you would have three licky tongues and three waggy tails, all running to you for walkies :lol:

minitata

I've used resistance bands - with chair based exercise (I'm a wheelchair user). Your doctor may be able to point you in the direction of a 'Sit and Get Fit' class. The other people to try is Age UK as lots of the people who do these exercises are elderly. My local health centre arranged some, as did the sports centre it only cost me £1 per go.

Good luck
MTT